Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2017, 13:13   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Boat has been sitting for 9yrs!

Ok, here's my take ... I went through this with my boat which sat for 5 years as prior owner was very sick.

1. Change the oil and all the filters.
2. Inspect each and ever hose and all the belts. Anything that is cracked or hard must be replaced.
3. Change the impeller with a new one.
4. Remove glow plugs, squirt some fogging oil in each cylinder. Put glow plugs back in, but don't tighten. Over the years, all the oil has seeped out, leaving no lubrication. Let it sit for 2 - 3 days
5. Remove glow plugs, turn the motor over by hand. If it can move, good.
6. Replace solenoid on starter. It's probably shot.
7. Inspect all electrical connections. Clean, retighten
8. Inspect control cables, lubricate
9. Drain your coolant. If it comes out clean, hurray! If it shows rust, or it's contaminated, you have a problem. Consider flushing the system. Check for any coolant leaks.
10. Carefully inspect the elbow joint and the whole exhaust system. This stuff rusts and falls apart. Replace any suspect components.
11. Check your diesel. If it smells good and is amber, you may be good to go. If it is cloudy, you must fix before going any further.

12. Polishing Diesel: it's not too hard. You'll need a strainer, two filters some tubing and a pump that can handle diesel. Idea is to circulate the diesel through the two filters and back into the tank. Set it up and keep it running for 2 - 3 days. Check on it regularly. If you get a lot of crud or a lot of water, or the fuel is cloudy, then consider the nuclear option ( pumping out the fuel, cleaning the tank, replacing the fuel). There are kits available for fuel polishing, but I built my own for less than $ 50.

Once you've done all that, try to fire her up. She may just be ready to run.
Look for any weird things: inadequate cooling water ejected overboard, smoke of any sort, strange noises, you know....

I would suggest that if you are slightly paranoid, as I am, you may want to enlist the services of a diesel mechanic to be sure everything is OK.

In my case, the engine just sat there. It had totally clean oil and totally clean fuel. All the hoses were supple, as were the belts. I replaced the impeller just out of caution, but other than that, the only thing I had to replace was the primary fuel filter, because when I went to check the diesel, the little plastic tab at the bottom broke off... so I got a new unit.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 13:29   #17

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

Ya alot of what carl said

I know you said you had a yanmar but here is a pdf operators manual file for a 4-108 perkins. If you scroll down far enough it will tell you exactly how to crank up a winterized deisel

http://islander36.org/perkins/operatorsmanual.pdf
CaptJamesCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 13:43   #18

Boat: Liberty 458

Good to squirt a little diesel in the cylinders before turning over. Stuck rings can break.

You can also see if the injector tips are still clean. Any water in the fuel will cause you grief.

Check fuel and oil. If they look and smell ok then might be easier to start first time.

If you drain the oil cold then you get to refill and have fresh oil internally. I'd get oil pressure up before starting or cranking.

I'd also change all fuel filters and refit with fresh diesel.

If you prepped it right you get to benefit now.

Dump the oil again when hot.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 17:55   #19

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Thanks for all the great info folks!
As usual, I'll keep everyone posted as to what I finally do and the outcome!

Thanks again
Old 21-04-2017, 12:59   #20

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
NINE Years!

There are so many experienced boat owners here that will likely have stories of "she started right up after a long time" and such.

But…if you gave me that boat I would do the following:

1. Have the fuel tank emptied. IF the fuel is full of crud I would send it to a recycling facility. It is only 37 gallons. Consider that "cost of storage." You could have the fuel polished, but that would likely be too costly, given the small amount.

2. Before refilling the tank, I would open the fuel tank inspection port (if there is one) and clean the tank of any biological growth or sludge or sediment.

3. I would carefully examine ALL of the fuel lines for cracks or pinholes or any kind of deterioration and replace as needed. Examine every other fitting on the engine and cooling system too, including hose clamps (looking for corrosion). Look at every hose and wire connection too. Check the batteries and all electrical connections, charge as needed, or replace ALL batteries with new ones of same type.

4. Fill the now clean tank with FRESH fuel.

Follow the instructions from your mechanic on how to flush the engine from its old winterizing fluids or prepare it with new fluids.

5. Replace the cooling raw water impeller with a FRESH one

6. Clean the thru hull for raw water intake (it may have a birds nest or bugs in it if on the hard for NINE years) and look at all filters (sea strainer) too.

7. Check oil and possibly change the oil.

8. It has been NINE years, so write down a little checklist of everything you have to do properly to start YOUR engine, and follow that checklist instead of a faulty memory.

9. Play the Rolling Stones song "Start me up (and I will never stop)" and give it a go.

I probably missed something, so others can reflect and add or suggest otherwise. This is what I would do if in your boat shoes. But, I am always willing to learn from others with more experience or a better way, etc.
Steady has a good list.
Is there some way to get oil on top the pistons?
I would first check (inspect)impeller for movement , lube it.
Can you turn it over by hand ?
9 years, likely condensate in crankcase, is it worth the risk not to change oil ?
Drain tank from lowest point, rinse, inspect if possible.
Hoses, lines, belts, gaskets, clamps.....???

I put one in water after 10 on the hard, 4 Months solid work.
The a4 had bad water pump seal. Sideplate was a like a screen door. Belts plugs etc. Gas tank rotted out. It was worth it

Good luck.
Let us know how it turns out.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 14:56   #21

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

We have it ignition!

Well folks, thanks again for all the great & varied advice!
Here is what I finally did:

1. Changed Oil
2. Changed Oil filter
3. Cleaned out raw water strainer
4. Replaced Impeller
5. Cleaned out fuel/water separator and replaced it's fuel filter
6. Replaced secondary fuel filter
7. Checked coolant,belts, hoses, etc.
8. Bled fuel system
9. Cranked engine without starting to distribute oil
10. Started her up - yep, first try!

Put her in gear and cranked her up just a bit... all good!
Will take her out for a good run over the next few days... then re-check and adjust everything one last time!

thanks again,
Old 10-06-2017, 15:13   #22
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Thanks for update; it's always good to hear the end story.
It's a great result and I hope it proves all good over the next few weeks.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 15:16   #23

Boat: Able 50

Congratulations !

Keep a close watch on the temperature gauge whenever you run it for extended time and also watch for plenty of water coming out of the exhaust.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 15:34   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Put her in gear at the dock and run engine for 20-30 min. While well short of a stress test, it will let you know if cooling system works for that period. Also will see if transmission starts to act up.

You did change the transmission fluid??? If not, do so before running transmission.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 17:36   #25

Good to hear all good! I would not trust any rubber belts/hoses-period.Additionally,May be good idea to put an injector cleaner into tank.When you do this the exhaust will stink till it all runs through till new tank of fuel.
One very important element to this are the O-rings in the injector pump!!! Don't skate on these.

All the Best.
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 18:08   #26

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If the boat in question is the Hanse, it would be well for you to check for hull deformation, it having sat on the hard for so long.
Ann
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:02   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRocinante View Post
We have it ignition!

Well folks, thanks again for all the great & varied advice!
Here is what I finally did:

1. Changed Oil
2. Changed Oil filter
3. Cleaned out raw water strainer
4. Replaced Impeller
5. Cleaned out fuel/water separator and replaced it's fuel filter
6. Replaced secondary fuel filter
7. Checked coolant,belts, hoses, etc.
8. Bled fuel system
9. Cranked engine without starting to distribute oil
10. Started her up - yep, first try!

Put her in gear and cranked her up just a bit... all good!
Will take her out for a good run over the next few days... then re-check and adjust everything one last time!

thanks again,
Well Done!

Good that this worked for you.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat