Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2017, 14:31   #1

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft
Boat has been sitting for 9yrs!

Good Evening folks

Ok, moving through the various systems on Rocinante, I've now reached the engine; not that it matters, but I have a Yanmar 3JH4-E.

The engine and associated systems were all "winterized" and the diesel tank filled to help prevent condensation... obviously, I never intended to be gone for so long, but that's another story.

So, the question is; what now?
I'm scared silly to simply try to kick her over!

Any thoughts or better yet, experience with this or a similar situation?
Should my Racor Fuel filter be good enough to deal with any issues?
Diesel equivalent of "Dry Gas"?
Cross my fingers, turn the key and push the button?

BTW, I only hold ~37 gallons of diesel.

Thanks again for your much valued input!
Old 18-04-2017, 14:42   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Boat has been sitting for 9yrs!

I wouldn't worry about the fuel initially, I would be more concerned about the engine.

Operate the decompression lever and turn it over by hand (leave the raw water seacock turned off). If all feels and sounds ok, turn it fast enough to to get oil pressure.

Now open the seacock and put the decompression levers back to normal and try a real start.

If it runs, quickly check for raw water flow. If OK, monitor engine temps.

It is likely the impellers need replacing and the cooling system may need a look over but I reckon it will start. I'm assuming battery is OK.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 14:44   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Drain the tank, drain all lines, bleed the injector dry. Refill with new diesel, bleed the injectors.

Drain the oil. Refill with new. Pitch to drained oil.

If it's a fresh water system, drain and replace
that too.

If you have decompression levers, throw them and turn over a few times.

See what happens.

I would consider using the drained fuel after getting the engine running properly. I would mix it 3:1 or 4:1 with new.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 14:55   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Boat has been sitting for 9yrs!

Change the raw water impeller before you tear off the vanes and send them into the heat exchanger or elbow.
I'd change oil too before I did anything, and ideally spin it over with no compression until you are sure you have oil pressure.
If your a competent mechanic, might want to pull the valve cover and tap each valve to make sure none are stuck, a stuck valve will likely bend a push rod or bend a valve if stuck open.
If you don't know what your doing though don't tap the valves as if you compress the springs it's possible for a keeper to fall out of the retainer, you need to tap the valve itself with something soft, like a wooden dowel.
Or just turn it over slowly by hand and see if they all open and close, to actuate all valves it takes two full revolutions of the crankshaft as it's a four stroke
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 14:55   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

NINE Years!

There are so many experienced boat owners here that will likely have stories of "she started right up after a long time" and such.

But…if you gave me that boat I would do the following:

1. Have the fuel tank emptied. IF the fuel is full of crud I would send it to a recycling facility. It is only 37 gallons. Consider that "cost of storage." You could have the fuel polished, but that would likely be too costly, given the small amount.

2. Before refilling the tank, I would open the fuel tank inspection port (if there is one) and clean the tank of any biological growth or sludge or sediment.

3. I would carefully examine ALL of the fuel lines for cracks or pinholes or any kind of deterioration and replace as needed. Examine every other fitting on the engine and cooling system too, including hose clamps (looking for corrosion). Look at every hose and wire connection too. Check the batteries and all electrical connections, charge as needed, or replace ALL batteries with new ones of same type.

4. Fill the now clean tank with FRESH fuel.

Follow the instructions from your mechanic on how to flush the engine from its old winterizing fluids or prepare it with new fluids.

5. Replace the cooling raw water impeller with a FRESH one

6. Clean the thru hull for raw water intake (it may have a birds nest or bugs in it if on the hard for NINE years) and look at all filters (sea strainer) too.

7. Check oil and possibly change the oil.

8. It has been NINE years, so write down a little checklist of everything you have to do properly to start YOUR engine, and follow that checklist instead of a faulty memory.

9. Play the Rolling Stones song "Start me up (and I will never stop)" and give it a go.

I probably missed something, so others can reflect and add or suggest otherwise. This is what I would do if in your boat shoes. But, I am always willing to learn from others with more experience or a better way, etc.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 15:08   #6

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma

I'm ignorant on that particular engine, however there are some constants on all diesels. Fresh fuel is better than the 9 yr old fuel. As suggested, you can mix it back in later. Fresh oil and filter too. Do not start with a 9 year old impeller!! Being that old it could crumble and then you have pieces throughout the cooling system. Change that impeller and put fresh coolant, along with oil and fuel, then give it a go.
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 15:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

5. Replace the cooling raw water impeller with a FRESH one
This is a good point. Even if there is a "new" spare impeller on the boat, it's still 9 years old. Get a new one.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 15:20   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Also If you can open the cyl without too much trouble try dribbling some Marvel Mystrery oil in the there, turn it over once by hand then let it sit for a day or so.

Regular oil would work too.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 15:26   #9

All good answers above.
impeller change, drain fuel in the system and filters, of course make sure the engine will turn. Fresh fluids.
You might take a look at the fuel you have, fill ajar via the inspection cover. It may be full of growth, it may not.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 15:43   #10

Boat: Able 50

There is no need to put in fresh diesel if you get your fuel polished by a pro. The process cleans your tanks at the same time and really is worth it.

You should also replace every bit of rubber that serves the engine because rubber perishes with the passage of time. Others have mentioned the impeller but there is also all the rubber hoses that surround the engine, both raw water and antifreeze. The passage of time will cause all of them to turn brittle and crack.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 18:43   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If the boat in question is the Hanse, it would be well for you to check for hull deformation, it having sat on the hard for so long.

Ann
Old 18-04-2017, 21:51   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Before going to all of the trouble of polishing the fuel, cleaning the tank, etc. Do most of the other suggested steps above, & perhaps have the cylinders inspected before trying to turn it over, even by hand, maybe via a bore scope?
Then if they're good, change your oil, check the valves to ensure they're not stuck, change ALL of your fuel filters, after cleaning out the fuel lines. Change impellers, inspect the fuel lines, etc. And for your initial start, & run test, get a jerry jug of new diesel, & put the lines into it. That way you Know that the fuel won't be the issue if the diesel gives you any troubles.

There are of course more steps you could take, but... I'm only good for about a paragraph at the moment. But I'll surely be interested to hear how things turn out.

PS: After the fuel's sitting for 9yrs I can't help but to wonder if you won't need to scoop it out of the tank with a trowel, or a putty knife? Anyone, anyone? Bueler?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 10:14   #13

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I would not worry about the fuel. Unlike gas, diesel does not go bad. However, before firing it up I would inspect and, if necessary, replace the impeller and top off the coolant. Sitting dry the impeller could be degraded. That done fire her up and watch your gauges and exhaust. Plenty of time for tearing the engine down if getting black smoke, bad water flow, etc. I avoiding looking for trouble without specific evidence of an issue.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 10:18   #14

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Change the raw water impeller before you tear off the vanes and send them into the heat exchanger or elbow.
definitely this.

Regarding the oil, hopefully the oil was changed prior to the 9 years hiatus...the sulphur can really mess up the oil pan.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 10:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I would not worry about the fuel. Unlike gas, diesel does not go bad. However, before firing it up I would inspect and, if necessary, replace the impeller and top off the coolant. Sitting dry the impeller could be degraded. That done fire her up and watch your gauges and exhaust. Plenty of time for tearing the engine down if getting black smoke, bad water flow, etc. I avoiding looking for trouble without specific evidence of an issue.
It may not "go bad" but readily grows things. It can become so bad it is slimy and thicker viscosity. The Trawler I bought that had sat for 3 years was this way. You could not see thru the diesel in a jar. However... it ran! I cleaned it all though immediately.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat