Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2017, 08:21   #1

Atomic 4 Fuel pump

I have an Ericson 27 with an atomic 4, and I am trying to reinstall the fuel pump. There is not much space to work with, does anyone have a trick or advice on an easy way to install it?
Jogonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 09:04   #2

Boat: J/42
Re: Atomic 4 Fuel pump

Some people have carved out a "window" in the side of the engine compartment, below the galley cabinet, to get access to the carb side of the motor.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 09:45   #3

Yes, ours is carved out already, but still there is not enough space to get the back bolt of the fuel pump in. What if I take off the manifold? Any downsides to that?
Old 16-07-2017, 10:02   #4

Boat: J/42

Best to ask this over at the moyermarine forum.

One consideration is that the A4 is so small and simple that it may be less work to disconnect the engine and hoist it out of the compartment than it would be to partially disassemble it in place, or spend hours of contortion exercises. So far I haven't done this, but when the day comes, it could use overall cleaning & repainting.

Then there is the scientific exploration aspect. I'm convinced that there must be a small black hole in the sump beneath the engine. Otherwise the mass of small parts and tools that have vanished beneath there over the last 45 years would have sunk the boat by now, or at least lifted the motor off its mounts.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 11:27   #5

Thank you
Old 16-07-2017, 12:12   #6

Boat: Catalina 387

Or, ditch the mechanical fuel pump altogether (as it'll leak fuel into the oil if the seal goes bad). The cover plate (moyer sells em) should be easier to install. Then a small electric pump (moyer sells em.. they're lots cheaper elsewhere).
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 17:40   #7

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5

Facet electric pump with a hand squeeze priming bulb before it, if any lift is involved. They're pressure pumps with little lift capacity, no matter what you're told.
TommmD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 18:08   #8

Amen to ditching the mechanical pump and installing an electric pump. As a former Universal service shop (read Atomic IV), the mechanical pumps were single diaphram pumps and when that seal ruptured, it allowed fuel to be sucked into the crankcase (my engine is making oil?) diluting the oil and frying the bearings. Moyer Marine is a good suggestion.
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 02:06   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jo.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 07:20   #10

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

My father has removed and installed his A4 more times than I can count, usually for these routine tasks. I know he recently replaced the pump with an electric one and is well pleased with results.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 08:19   #11

Boat: Nor'Sea 27

I replaced the pump on a Catalina 27 I had a few years ago. I had to access the engine from the cabin access under the companionway stairs. I used a 6" shaving mirror and small flash light to be able to see the work being done. The hex cap bolts were difficult to get a wrench on. I used a socket with 3/8 drive ratchet. When I replaced the pump, I used stainless steel allen socket head cap bolts. This made alignment of the blots much easier by using the allen key to aim the bolt. I used a never seize compound on the bolt threads to make any future work easier.
I hope this helps.
1950 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel pump