Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 12:40   #31
Registered User
 
lateral's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NZ
Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.
Posts: 703
Re: Alternator Belt issue 3YM30

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
That might be ok for a car or low output alternator, but not 120amp setup.

A changing system putting out 120amps requires 2.25hp, thats a good load. The raw water pumps which only need about 1/8hp can run much looser.

745watts = 1Hp
14V x 120amps = 1,680 watts
1,680 watts/745 = 2.25HP

.
At 60% efficiency for V belt system (if you are lucky) 2.25/0.6 =3.75hp
Rule of thumb, IIRC, is 20-25A /hp = 4+
Definitely will give Dayco belts a try.
__________________

__________________
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:51   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Manly, Qld, Aust
Boat: Fusion 40
Posts: 76
Re: Alternator Belt issue 3YM30

Have to ask, where does the belt dust go? I can tell you where a lot of mine went, into the engine is where. The factory Yanmar "air filter" isn't much for filtering, assumption is I'm sure that boats don't operate in dusty environments, but if your making belt dust, most likely your engine is eating a lot of it.[/QUOTE]

Belt dust everywhere which makes for untidy engine bay.
__________________

__________________
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 13:12   #33
Registered User
 
lateral's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NZ
Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.
Posts: 703
Re: Alternator Belt issue 3YM30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktheflyer View Post
Have to ask, where does the belt dust go? I can tell you where a lot of mine went, into the engine is where. The factory Yanmar "air filter" isn't much for filtering, assumption is I'm sure that boats don't operate in dusty environments, but if your making belt dust, most likely your engine is eating a lot of it.
Belt dust everywhere which makes for untidy engine bay.[/QUOTE]

+1
I didn't consider how much would go into the air filter.
__________________
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 17:45   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 7
Wink Re: Alternator Belt issue 3YM30

Most alternator belts wear out because of either alignment or slippage. Getting a serpentine belt is step one to handle the load. {I also like Gates Green Stripe} If you see belt dust and/or hear a bit of a squeal at starting, simply spray water on the belt. If the sound goes away, alignment is off. If it gets worse, belt tension is off. Don't use the 'finger depression test." Get a tension meter. Cheap and effective. Also, many 120+ amp alternators require two belts and pulleys to work efficiently.
__________________
Tempting Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 22:06   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western Australia
Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1320
Posts: 10
Re: Alternator Belt issue 3YM30

I got one electromaax serpentine kit to test out on our Portside 3YM30 a year or so ago. Beautiful gear.
But alas, once all installed, the pulley for the alternator was 5mm further out than the crank pulley and water pump pulley. The alternator has no movement fore/aft so I couldn't get good alignment. (3.15" saddle mount) Their suggestion when emailed was to purchase one of their alternators or machine the pulley down. I didn't actually need a larger output alt, was just tying to reduce belt dust.
I thought that I had read on their website recently that they now have two different pulleys but I can't find it again. Anyway, after numerous emails with no reply, I gave up and reinstalled the original pulleys.
I'm sure the serpentine belt would help stop belt wear but with the stock 80A hitachi, you would have to muck around a bit to get all pulleys aligned. (Unless the design has changed)
I see that the new 3YM30AE now has serpentine belt and larger alternator
So if going down the electromaax serpentine belt road for a 3YM30 and keeping the stock alternator, get confirmation that it now fits.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Sberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 22:23   #36
Jd1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Posts: 1,095
Re: Alternator Belt issue 3YM30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sberg View Post
I see that the new 3YM30AE now has serpentine belt and larger alternator
So if going down the electromaax serpentine belt road for a 3YM30 and keeping the stock alternator, get confirmation that it now fits.
.... and take whatever electromaax tells you with several pounds of salt ....
__________________
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:06   #37
Registered User
 
Sailorman Ed's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Boat: Polynesia 40/42
Posts: 685
Images: 15
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Alternator Belt issue 3YM30

I too have had abnormal belt wear on both my 2GM w Haitachi 55A.
I found that the holes in the alternator with 10 mm dia while the hole in the engine casting was less than 9 mm and the bolt about 9 mm. So I ordered 10 mm bolts, carefully drilled out the casting and put on a new YM belt. After about 12 hour, it needed tightening. Then 14 hours later, I notice the top of the belt was below the pulley and needed tightening again. The alignment "looks" OK ( will check with a longer straightedge this WE). Based on this, I am expecting only about 75 - 100 hours out of the stock belt...seems way too short. it cannot be the alternator load as I have plenty of solar and with both engines running, the load has to be small. Is heat a factor?
Ed
__________________
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:06   #38
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,032
Re: Alternator Belt issue 3YM30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
.... and take whatever electromaax tells you with several pounds of salt ....

I would personally be very hesitant to purchase anything from them based on numerous reports I have seen.
We have a Vendor or two here that will sell you the Balmar kit.
__________________
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 00:44   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Manly, Qld, Aust
Boat: Fusion 40
Posts: 76
Re: Alternator Belt issue 3YM30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sberg View Post
I got one electromaax serpentine kit to test out on our Portside 3YM30 a year or so ago. Beautiful gear.
But alas, once all installed, the pulley for the alternator was 5mm further out than the crank pulley and water pump pulley. The alternator has no movement fore/aft so I couldn't get good alignment. (3.15" saddle mount) Their suggestion when emailed was to purchase one of their alternators or machine the pulley down. I didn't actually need a larger output alt, was just tying to reduce belt dust.
I thought that I had read on their website recently that they now have two different pulleys but I can't find it again. Anyway, after numerous emails with no reply, I gave up and reinstalled the original pulleys.
I'm sure the serpentine belt would help stop belt wear but with the stock 80A hitachi, you would have to muck around a bit to get all pulleys aligned. (Unless the design has changed)
I see that the new 3YM30AE now has serpentine belt and larger alternator
So if going down the electromaax serpentine belt road for a 3YM30 and keeping the stock alternator, get confirmation that it now fits.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Do you still have the kit you removed?
__________________
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 03:52   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western Australia
Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1320
Posts: 10
Re: Alternator Belt issue 3YM30

'Do you still have the kit you removed?'
JackTheflyer,

It's a long story but it is being returned.
__________________

__________________
Sberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
3ym30, alternator

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Dual V Belt alignment issue. darylat8750 Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 17 02-03-2015 19:47
3YM30 Yanmar + Balmar 95-60 Alternator rgleason Engines and Propulsion Systems 32 26-01-2014 04:30
Yanmar 3YM30 Raw Water Pump Belt Change Muhsin Cifter Engines and Propulsion Systems 1 17-06-2013 06:20
high output alternator on 3YM30 Yanmar? c.spots Engines and Propulsion Systems 13 01-04-2012 15:53
High Amp Alternator - Dedicated Double Pulley Belt dadidoc Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 48 28-10-2011 06:34



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:56.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.