Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2011, 17:06   #16

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Re: 2 dimples and $8000

I agree with imagine2frolic. Engines are simple. With the right spanners, a manual and a little common sense you could do it yourself. Pull it to bits and have a look. If the engine is stuffed anyway what have you got to lose?
Who knows, with a little advice you may fix it and then you'll know for the next time!
Regards,
Richard.
Old 29-04-2011, 20:07   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Re: 2 dimples and $8000

If you paid $8,000 for that work you got hosed
Old 29-04-2011, 20:17   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer
If you paid $8,000 for that work you got hosed
double-hosed
Old 29-04-2011, 21:09   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Expensive toast?

A short search on the internet suggests that 1) Your engine is about 25 years old and 2) there are very few Volvo 2002 diesels for sale.

It's possible that your engine was toast before the mechanic touched it, given the age and the need for repairs.

Repairing the engine is going to be a marginal proposition, particularly if the crankshaft or cylinder wall/pistons are badly scored. Rebuilds look to be scarce on the ground.

From the tenor of your post I'm hearing that you like the boat but have used it very little recently, so your cost to benefit ratio is not looking good.

If extensive use of the boat is in your future then repowering with a new engine could be the way to go.

If a pattern of little future use is likely why not repower with a secondhand engine/gearbox and sell the boat? Given the cost and possible unavailability of the Volvo 2002 it may bring more than it's worth as spare parts

Then when you do have sufficient use for a boat to justify buying one buy then.
Old 30-04-2011, 01:36   #20

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
Re: 2 Dimples and $8000

Hi guys,
The $8000 is what i have spent and probably will spend (including rebuilt engine) since the first guy didn't put dimples in the cutlass bearing that led to all this happening. It is all documented over on my blog.

The oil analysis people said in the comments to me that the engine has damaged and should be used with caution.

This engine was a total rebuild for 6k back in 05. It had about 600hrs on it. Was running like a top, except for a small oil leak, when It was removed from the boat.

I could have this one rebuilt again, but down here in the islands there could be some issues I don't want to deal with. So I may re power with a reconditioned yanmar or if i can scrape up the bread a new Beta (I like those engines!).

I am taking the mechanic to small claims. This happened in December of last year. this is the reason for my questions. i know his defense will be that I should have checked my oil pressure. My position is I didn't have a chance to check the oil pressure until I got her running, but by then it was to late. Now please DO NOT comment on this part of the post until you read my blog about the whole episode.

Thanks everyone for all the input so far.
Old 30-04-2011, 02:48   #21

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

If you ran the engine without oil pressure it is most probable that you have scored or ground all the bearings for the Crankshaft and also the push rod rockers, rods and valves. Without positive oil pressure all these bearing and the "journals" on the crankshaft and valves and front and rear bearing are now jeopardized.
- - So you are back to a whole engine overhaul and if the crank and cam shafts, etc. will probably be require grinding or replacement. The if you add up the costs involved it might just equal or excced the cost of a replacement engine. And, IMHO, if you opt for a rebuild you will end up with an engine that you might not have much confidence in when the situation at sea gets tough or dangerous.
- - Normally small boat diesels always start "dry" until a revolution or two before the oil pump can pressurize the oil distribution system. The engines are designed to be able to do this and last a long time. But operation beyond a few seconds is tantamount to destroying the engine or simply said a "No No."
Old 30-04-2011, 04:56   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Due to the OPs pending litigation, it would be in CF's best interest to avoid further discussion on this topic.