Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2005, 02:15   #1

Boat: Privilege 37
Navico 8000 autopilot repair

I just bought a catamaran with a NAVICO PLH 8000 auto pilot which isn't working. So far I have determined that the electronic panel is getting 12 volts and I connected the hydraulic pump to 12 volts and it runs. I suspect that at least part of the problem is the control head in the cockpit (the LED doesn't light). Any ideas on most likely failures of this autopilot? Also, are parts still available? Is this AP worth putting money into if I have to start replacing parts? Appreciate any help.
Old 30-04-2005, 15:33   #2

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Could just be the control head-- there should also be a black box somewhere. Does Navico had a handy repair facility that can trouble shoot the electronics and give you an estimate.

No matter what if the ram is OK moves back and forth etc. then most of the hard work is done. Even if you have to replace the electronics and you should be able to use electronics of choice rams are pretty standard -- you can reuse the ram.

For example my controls are Simrad the ram is a raymarine.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 02:48   #3

Send a message via AIM to Cool Change
Navoco 8000

I had a Navico 8000 on my 44' Beneteau.
It gave me untold problems, I took it to Simrad while they still had a service facility in Dania, Florida. They "completely" rebuild the unit. After reinstalling same on the boat, more problems, I finally gave up, and would never again have a Navico A/P on my boat.
Cool Change III
Cool Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 19:48   #4

Angry

Thanks Jon D & Cool Change.

I've done some more trouble shooting and I'm sure the cockpit control unit is broken and the electronic box may be hosed as well. The electronic brain does send current to the cockpit controller, but when I push the "turn to port" button the voltages are way off.

Jon, I like your idea of possibly just replacing the electronics (particularly with non-NAVICO electonics). Any ideas on how to check the funtion of the hydraulic ram? I've hooked up the hydraulic pump to 12 volts and it runs, but doesn't move the ram. There is also a solenoid on the pump which is some kind of control valve. When I hooked the solenoid to 12 volts, it clicked, but the ram still didn't move with the motor running. Do the hydraulic pump and ram need to "be bled" before they will work? This autopilot probably has not been used in 2-3 yrs.

I've priced new below deck APs and the cheapest are about $2500 at WM. If I can get the hydraulics working, that would save more than half the cost.

Old 01-05-2005, 19:56   #5

Send a message via AIM to Cool Change
A/P

Think twice before you spend a lot of $$$$ repairing the Navico 8000.
I spent a small fortune for nothing.
Cool Change
Cool Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 13:24   #6

Boat: Nelson/Marek Morgan - 45
Navico 8000

I too lost my Navico power head -- Octopus pump is still good. Anybody have tips on best replacement power head?

Steve
45' Nelson/Marek Morgan
MKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 13:53   #7

Dear Sir,

I'm looking after a manual for the autopilot Navico JB 8000 and a fluxgate compass HS8000 Can you help me please,

Regards from Belgium

Wilfried
Wilfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 12:59   #8

Boat: Nelson/Marek Morgan - 45
Navico 8000

Hello Wilfried;

I'm pretty sure I have all the manuals and I know I have the fluxgate and the tiller feedback. Unfortunately they are all in Daytona Beach Florida and I'm in Phoenix Arizona and will not be back in Daytona until May 2008

However, I'm having the Navico system replaced with a Simrad and possibly could get the repairman (Pat Adsit) to send them to you. He will expect to be paid for the packing and shipping costs, so if you have a way of getting him paid (credit card or money order) I will ask him if he is willing to do so. You can contact me direct at steve.barnett@asu.edu

You can pay me whatever you think the fluxgate et al is worth once you get it and make sure it works; and, is it is what you want. Perhaps a couple of beers if we meet up in some distant port - I'm planning on being out of the desert soon and back sailing!

Best Wishes

Steve
MKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 22:21   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Greg, the Navico was never a great pilot from day one. Although back in those days, there were few great pilots full stop. So the compact fully electronic pilot was a real buzz. But it has past it's day and time to get a new one. There are many makes out there that will do really well. Simrad, Raymarine, Navman/Northstar(my personal favorite) to name just a few.

The pump is seperate to the Pilot. The pump can normaly be operated by any pilot controller. The pump is a positive displacement electric hydraulic pump. There should be a name and model on it somewhere. It may not be Navico. If you can let us know what it is, we can give you more detailed info. But usually these pumps just pumped oil. And the oil had to be "shown where to go" to move the ram. That was done by the solinoid. It is a shuttle. I am not sure just how that part works untill I know the make and model. But the shuttle valve often worked two ways to "flow" the oil in a particular direction. So yes to your question, you need oil in the pump. It should have a reservoir on the end of it that is filled with oil. The 12V supply to it is reversed in polarity to make the motor run one direction or the other direction. Some pumps pump the oil one way or the other and some pumps pump it one way only and use the shuttle to change the direction of flow.
I hope that helps some.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:52   #10

Hey Steve,

Did you recieve my mail from 25.02.08 ?

Best regards,

Wilfried
Wilfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:36   #11

Location: On board, formerly in the Caribbean, now in the Northeast
Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42, 1989, hull #170,"Pilgrim"
Steve, did you get any good advice on a replacement control head?
jzukosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 18:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzukosky View Post
Steve, did you get any good advice on a replacement control head?
I never did close the loop on my solution to the NAVICO problem. I bought the electronics package from Simrad and married it up the the hydraulic ram that came with my boat. I have been very happy with Simrad...it is precise on holding course and has all the bells and whistles I need. By using the original hydraulics the cost was about 1/2 of buying everything new and saved lots of work.

Tags
autopilot, navico