Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 09:34   #1

Boat: Hughes Columbia 8.7
Question '02 Volvo Penta Engine

I have found a new boat that I love, however it has a volvo penta 2002 model inboard diesel.
Is it any good?
I don't want to buy a lump of stinky steel.. I'd rather be sailing.

Thanks in advance.
S Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Vovo's have a reputation for expensive parts. We have a volvo in our boat (MD2010) and it has been very reliable.

In 2 years we have replaced the impeller twice. Other than that it has been bullet proof (jinxing myself here).

We replaced the alternator also but I don't attribute that to the engine.

What makes you think the engine would be bad? You should have the enginie (end the boat) surveyed before purchase anyway.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:02   #3

We do also have a Volvo on board and yes, original spare parts are very expensive b u t there are alternatives on the market.
Ours is from 1992 and after a refit (in 2000) still running perfectly. The refit was just neccecary because the boat has been
a charter boat before so the engine was very used even though
it is a sailboat.
I am not sure if there are spare parts all over the world availble
but sure in many,many countries.
lampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:48   #4

Boat: Hughes Columbia 8.7
The boat is being sold thought a Broker. One of the stipulations was a clean survey, & sail trial.
I don't think there will be any issues, but I forgot to pull the engine cover to look at the engine on the 1st viewing. It was bitterly cold & the boat was shrink wrapped.
However, I always like to do my research.....better to have a devil you know, than one you don't.
I really appreciate the help.....my third season of sailing & I am totally smitten with sailing....
S Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:55   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
We have a 2002 on our boat, so does the boat in the slip next door. Lots of boats had either the 2002, 2003 or the 2003T from the mid eighties.

There are cheap substitutes for the oil and fuel filters. Ditto for the alternator. I think the heat exchanger, starter and like gear can be pricey.

The 2002 does not have glow plugs, so it can be hard starting in cold weather - starting fluid in the intake can help.

Ours has been fine for the 1+ years we have owned her. It helped that it is a freshwater cooled engine, and the boat has spent most of it's life in fresh water as well.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:50   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The worst diesel ever built. Check either on this site or do a Google search. I had one on my 1988 CS when I bought it new, swapped it for a Yanmar 3GM30 a couple of years later. The 2000 series had many problems. This engine so infuriated me I swore never to buy another boat with a Volvo in it and I never have. Here's one link.
Volvo-Penta engine overlook
Old 04-02-2009, 13:40   #7

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I have the 3-cylinder version (2003) of your volvo engine. It was fitted by the previous owner as a reconditioned engine. I hav ehad the boat for a little over 3 years and it has always run fine.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 13:47   #8

Shiva has the OEM MD17D 2002 model 3 cylinder. It's been going for 23 years. Here's a summary:

Normal maintenance - regular oil and oil filter changes 75hrs

seasonal change of main fuel filter

Added dual racors changed every year

has OEM fresh water cooling "kit"

changed one fresh water pump

2x raw water pump replacements

6x rw impellor replacements

2x injectors

exhaust elbow

changed to high output alternator

2x renewed rubber hoses

re build of 3 sets of valves / replaced sprinds etc.

added power take off for refer compressor

replaced starter motor

4500 hrs.

starts easily no smoke
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 17:44   #9

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 31 Monsun, 30'9"
Hello,
we have Volvo Penta D1-30, three cylinder, from 2006 and we bought it also not knowing much about it or it's condition (which is generaly a very big mistake as new engine will cost you few thousand), but since we were buying it in 2007 and it had barely 70hours on it, we did fine. Than we started cruising and wherever we came we only heard "Volvo, oh no, you are in a big trouble". Also a very good marine mechanic told us that the problem with Volvo Pentas is that they are made light and fast, which is the exact opposite of what marine diesel should be like. Yes the original part are expensive, but as said above, you can buy from different sources the exact thing, since Volvo doesn't manufacture a great deal of components themselves.
And now what we heard from people that actually had/have Volvo Penta. All of them told us not to worry, take a good care of our engine (filters, oil changes etc.) and it will serve us for a very long time.
In your case, if you don't learn more about the engine (like what type is it, 2002 doesn't tell much), what is it's history (you need to be good with engines or local diesel mechanic - don't ask a surveyor, mechanics that repair the engines 24-7 are better), you'll be fishing in the dark and in the end it could cost you a lot.
Good luck
klubko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 18:53   #10

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by klubko View Post
...In your case, if you don't learn more about the engine (like what type is it, 2002 doesn't tell much),...

Its a Volvo Penta 2002... that is the model, not the year. The 2000 series came out as 2 cylinder (2002), 3 cylinder (2003), 4 cylinder (2004) and, if I recall correctly, a turbo charged 4 cylinder (2004T). So, the original poster has the 2 cylinder model of the 2000 series engine.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 19:00   #11

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 31 Monsun, 30'9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Its a Volvo Penta 2002... that is the model, not the year. The 2000 series came out as 2 cylinder (2002), 3 cylinder (2003), 4 cylinder (2004) and, if I recall correctly, a turbo charged 4 cylinder (2004T). So, the original poster has the 2 cylinder model of the 2000 series engine.
Thanks for clarification, had no idea.
klubko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 19:44   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I had a 2003 27hp raw water cooled. It was a nightmare! Silly little copper pipes transferring seawater throughout the engine held into place with silly little o-rings and no brackets. Starter motor that cost $600 @%#&ing dollars! Two injector spring failures. One 2 days after the other. Other than that, it was great!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 22:05   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
If you want to MURDER a diesel use ether/startingfluid. When I find cans of ether on a new customers boat, I take them with me....followed by a phone call, in case they go looking for them

The volvos I have seen have a cold start procedure.

The way I do it in lieu of ether is to open the throttle to about 2/3-3/4 and using a heat gun heat up the air going into the engine. It does basically the same thing as glow plugs.......I had to do this, on a much bigger scale on Fairbanks-Morse 10 Cylinder Opposed Piston Engines....used small ceramic heaters...(If the block heaters took a "dump"
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:37   #14

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
The engine is basically as good as any other if cared for. But Celestialsailor has already identified the achilles heel of this engine, He is correct about the pipes and 'o' rings being the main problem with this engine, even from new.

Check for evidence of water leaks very carefully, they are likely to reoccur. Corrosion and evidence of recent paint touch-up around and below joint will be a give-away.
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:13   #15

The cooling tubes and seals are a bit of a problem, but the seals are cheap and easy to replace. The engine is fine. It's strong and mine has been going for ages.

Celestial sailor had a bad experience - happens with ALL engines - all cars, all boats.

If they were that crappy they wouldn't be in business and OEM in many fine yachts.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, penta, volvo