Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2016, 15:35   #16

Re: Which Path to Take?

All of that is good advice and this may not be the place to bring this up but tyranny of distance is a huge problem for many of us when it comes to looking at potential boats. Yes a haul out is vital as is a survey -see insurance, but that comes later. What many of us want is a mate to look at a boat on our behalf and give a WISE opinion. I am not saying a Broker is biased or an owner for that matter but living in Australia and having been involved in buying a Cat in St Maartin I can assure you just the selective process is an expensive business.

There is an army of people out there and almost certainly someone who is close to your 'Possible new adventure' with wisdom and experience who can take a proper look, shoot some video on a smartphone and give an audio report as a sensible friend could do. Most cases it could all be managed by phone/email and sure, a stipend should be involved for the assistance. Some will be right, some wrong but who knows more than the wisdom shared on this site?

A register of people willing to act in this capacity, carrying no liability and having a space to put up the reasons they might be selected and where they are at any given moment would be a huge help to people wanting to buy in far off places. Just putting it out there. PS Anyone in Southern Greece that might assess an old Prout? Let me know. Cheers

IZENEARS
Izenears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 18:49   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izenears View Post

PS Anyone in Southern Greece that might assess an old Prout? Let me know. Cheers

IZENEARS
Contact Atoll via a PM. I do not know where he is, but I do know he is rebuilding his Prout in the most professional way. He will know IMHO how to assess one. Ryanair tickets are not overly expensive either.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 19:08   #18
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I am not aware of any underwriter that will insure any boat without a survey. Part of the survey is to assess the condition of the rig and while the age of a rig is a factor there are plenty of boats with old rigs that have insurance.

At the price range you are considering I doubt you would buy any boat without a survey. Not only will a survey tell you the condition of the rig, but lots of other things as well. I probably should condition that on the survey being a good one. On the other hand even someone with limited experience can look at a boat and notice things like rust stains on the hulls around the chain plates that can be a sign of the need of closer inspection.

The question you are asking can be answered in theory by saying a newer boat should have fewer problems than an older boat. Problem is you are not dealing in theory; but in reality. One thing I have noticed in buying a boat is that what ever the age of a boat if it is being used it is often in better shape than if it has been sitting at a dock. While a survey will tell you a lot day to day living on a boat usually turns up things a survey has missed.

There are plenty of 10 year old boats in better shape than 5 year old boats; and vice versa. No way to answer your question without spend time on both boats. Even then it is quite possible something unexpected may turn up.

Your real question seems to be how can I minimize problems with the boat I buy. The answer is to know as much as possible about the boat before you buy it.

Boat US insured us without a survey a year ago. Strangely Geico wanted a survey, although they are owned by the same company as Boat US. This year Geico took over our policy and didn't require a survey.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 19:47   #19

Thanks I will, but I think I have missed the opportunity as I last looked 6 weeks ago! Tyranny of distance and time not on my side but if it is still available I will certainly follow your advice. You are SO right about the trip costs!
Old 15-09-2016, 08:47   #20

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Izenears, that is good advice u gave if it were obtainable without bias. As I have gotten older I understand that people can be tricky or even devious when it comes to being upfront about issues. Last year I bought an older Audi for my wife off of Craig's list. Met the couple who were selling the car at a Bart Station. Looked the car over carefully. Checked for engine vibration , smoking exhaust, test drive was fine., checked oil. Noticed the oil was a little low. I layed on the asphalt to see if I could see anything. Nothing. For 6 k I thought "okay ".
When we drove it home she ran very nicely. Next morning we found a nice puddle of filthy oil on the cement. Tisk tisk.

My point is people lie when they want to divest themselves of something. If u r buying something half a world away how do we know the true relationships of people who are selling and critiquing the boat? Could they be from same yacht club? Were they family like cousins ? Is the broker selling a much more expensive boat to the seller once they unload this turkey? On and on.
I am not a pessimist by nature. In fact I am too trusting. As has been mentioned many times in responses ... Due diligence, professional evaluations, and plenty of time spent on the boat should catch the major stuff. If u have someone you "know" that will do an unbiased eval and comes with a pedigree reputation it can help save time and money. I wish people were always honest. Then again I wish America had better presidential candidates this election.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 15:55   #21

You're right, of course, there is risk as I, like you, have had similar experiences and that's life I guess. It isn't perfect. But, with regard to getting Forum folk to give a once-over when the stipend is not based upon the outcome of their assessment seems to minimise the risks. If you said to me, 'can you have a look at a boat in Melbourne for me...this is what I am looking for and can you video the walk-around with commentary,' I think I would value that judgement. One assumes Forum Folk have see the good, bad and ugly and yes their viewpoint is not yours but if you are happy with my assessment, good or bad, then I become the go-to independent assessor and that could easily be a nice little earner for people on trips. Just an idea. As to your Presidential choices, when the s hits the f you are welcome to some to Oz!
Old 16-09-2016, 19:18   #22

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Boat US insured us without a survey a year ago. Strangely Geico wanted a survey, although they are owned by the same company as Boat US. This year Geico took over our policy and didn't require a survey.

When BoatUS insured the boat I bought from you they wanted a survey, but I have renewed with the twice with no survey. I thought that was because of the original survey. Just got an email from them and they said they would be lowering the rate significantly. Every other company (Progressive, USAA, and that foreign company Presuas or something like that) wanted a survey. Maybe it is just me.

On the other hand there seems to be something going on with insurance and lower rates for everyone.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 03:53   #23
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
When BoatUS insured the boat I bought from you they wanted a survey, but I have renewed with the twice with no survey. I thought that was because of the original survey. Just got an email from them and they said they would be lowering the rate significantly. Every other company (Progressive, USAA, and that foreign company Presuas or something like that) wanted a survey. Maybe it is just me.

On the other hand there seems to be something going on with insurance and lower rates for everyone.

This was the first time we have been able to insure a boat without a survey. Our rates went up a little this year but they extended our insured range from Pamlico Sound NC to all coastal US and Canada. We can't complain as we are paying about 90% less than what we payed on your boat!

smj is offline   Reply With Quote