Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 03:56   #31

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: When do they get "big enough?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Plenty of boats with two queens - one in each hull, and one with a main head and one with an ensuite. LIghtwave, Seawind, Outremer come to mins, and the Light Wave and Seawind are 38/41/45. Outremers are at 45 and 51 and 59
My Privilege 37 has 3 queen bed cabins, and two head/showers compartments.

Another factor you have to consider is that it is much easier to take a 34ft boat for a day sail, than a 50ft catamaran.
Old 09-09-2013, 13:11   #32

It's one of those things I suppose. Besides guests, I think my main concern is finding boats large enough that my (considerably-older-than-I) parents might also enjoy. But, I'm seeing that this may in fact be a separate issue.

There are boats that you charter for the occasional experience (and thank you for the reminder that it is in fact an experience / adventure) and those that you would and could own for use in whatever way you want most.

I think I'll answer the rest at the upcoming boat show">Annapolis boat show. There should be both a 560, a 500 and a 52 (along with some other 50'+ yachts) present.
Old 14-09-2013, 06:34   #33

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

Get yourself a good sailing boat and book a hotel room for your guests, then take them out for day sails. Everyone will be happy.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 07:32   #34

Greetings, I am a new member. Lagoon 52 'Freedom' is hull #10 and based in Grenada. She was shipped to Guadeloupe in July and since has sailed about 1,500NM in the southern Caribbean. This is a fully loaded four cabin plus crew model. Freedom is available for charter and will be shown in Tortola and Antigua at the upcoming luxury charter yacht shows. Our primary offering is crewed luxury charters in Grenada and the Grenadines.

Happy to field inquiries and questions about the new yacht. Freedom does indeed sail very well, handles the seas with ease and is very spacious. Good sailing to all!
Freedom52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 08:55   #35

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Just remember what the dear departed Dick Newick said
Yes but I got an idea that maybe Dick's idea of comfort just a little different than what this gentlemen is looking for!

Jim
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 13:59   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtopper View Post
To some this will seem like an utterly absurd question. I remember talking to an owner of a 34' mono hull about the cramped space inside the 44' catamaran I had chartered. Every so often I could see in his eyes that he thought I was nuts. So be it.

The issue is more for friends and family who don't handle smaller spaces well. Personally, I'd do fine with even a small 24' mono hull to cruise around in for some short-lived peace of mind sessions. But for them, even aboard a 44' cat, the berths and heads in particular can be a bit cramped. Yes, owners versions help somewhat, but not for people staying in the non-owner berths.

I've been looking more and more at the Lagoon 500. It seems as though the 4 cabin version might fit the bill. But even then, we're still talking about what would be considered an extremely small hotel room by "land" standards. Plus once you cross even the 48' threshold (I'm thinking the new Leopard 48 here) the prices really start going up both for purchase and more to-the-point charter.

Have I been barking up the wrong tree? Do I need to start looking at motor yachts? I have nothing against those, by the way, except for the amount of fuel they burn. The thing I love about catamarans is their efficiency and relatively large interior volume as compared to sailing mono hulls.

Another thing I've been wondering is, why don't they make 40 foot-ish boats with simply two state rooms? IE., the FP Lipari 41 would be a very, very comfortable boat for two couples if both hulls were set up as "owners" versions. I know some older model FPs have this setup, but they're on the smaller side of 40' ish.

The other issues that has come into play for me when chartering a boat and trying to gain new converts is pitch poling. We recently chartered a '41 FP and I found it did in fact bobble around quite a bit more than even a "slightly" larger 44' FP (Orana) as we hit the wakes of much larger boats and some medium sized choppy waves. At what length does it really stop being an issue? I would imagine waves are much more of an issue in Florida, Bahamas, BVI and Mediterranean than they are here on the Chesapeake.

I've chartered three boats this year, the latter two being with friends and family ... attempting to show them how wonderful it could be in crystal blue waters (we only sailed the Chesapeake ... and the damn jellyfish ruined the swimming part both times). I don't think I managed to convince anyone. Aside from the jellyfish, it seems just plain difficult for 50 year+ folk to get around inside the smallish heads and whatnot.
It's YOUR money, get the boat that suits YOU. If your friends want more, let them buy it for themselves!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 13:13   #37

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

Did you ever look at the Voyage 500's and now the 520. You should have a look at them at least. But I do not think there will be any at the boat show this year though.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle