Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2017, 16:34   #16

Re: What a beginner should look at???

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Do not keep it to yourself. This world is full of tightassness. As a minimum write, picture, talk to us. SHARE.
b.
Hahaha I plan on going with friends as much as possible and I will definitely post here as much as I can. But for right now, I can't have someone consistently in my life as a S/O. But eventually as times change there will be more coming aboard.

How hard is it to change the setup to be able to solo?
NavyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 17:21   #17

Can't speak for crossing oceans, but in my coastal sailing experience a 1160 Seawind (current yacht) is huge in space compared to a decent sized mono (Bavaria 42 previous yacht). Both are what I'd call typical no surprises vessels in terms of ownership maintenance access, sailing performance and ease of sailing, both solo and with an offsider. Both offer similar performance too, around 9 knots hull speed, though it feels easier in the cat of course!

Any reason(s) why you want a cat? They are better in many ways for mine. More expensive however.

Solo sailing either is similar too, again, just for day coastal sailing, not passage making. Docking and spinnaker sailing is about only times I'd really appreciate extra hands. Autopilot makes is simple to single handed!

As for learning how to sail, we brought our first yacht and just worked it out from there. Not really sure a huge amount of training is necessary - we had none, though I knew a little about sailing apart from surf cats and sailing on tall ships, both of which are completely the opposite end of the spectrum from production yachts/cats!

In any case, go for it and enjoy!
200MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 17:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyTurtle View Post
I'm planning on getting a cruising cat to live aboard.
If you're considering Outremer 45, be aware that it has retractable dagger boards but fixed rudders and saildrives, not such a good idea for beaching. A cat that can't take drying out is not an ideal cruising cat.

Look closely at helm protection, shade and visibility. Also, as you plan to live aboard, cross oceans and carry those tools that you are good at using, look very closely at the payload each model can carry.

Happy cat hunting.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 17:43   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Here's some long earned experience talking. Come to Ft. Lauderdale. There are more Cats than you'll see anywhere, all within 20-30 minutes driving time, many of which will be at two or three marinas. I will introduce you to the top guys who deal with Leopards, FP's, and Outremers. I am also friends with the top broker for Lagoons and any other sailing vessels, monos included, that might tickle your fancy. I assure you, you'll walk away with enough information overload to keep you thinking for a month before you have most of it straight. These guys will not only get you on dozens of these boats, they are more in tuned to this market and long distance cruising than most, and will make sure you are asking all the right questions long before you buy.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 18:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200MPH View Post
Any reason(s) why you want a cat? They are better in many ways for mine. More expensive however.
For me I prefer the internal space of a cat but most of all the deck space on them. I like being able to move around on them. Also moving around with out being heeled over. I like the shallower draft. There are a lot of things that slowly added up and I just think they will be better for me. Things could change with time but I have plenty of that before I have to make any decisions.
Old 20-10-2017, 18:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I will introduce you to the top guys who deal with Leopards, FP's, and Outremers. I am also friends with the top broker for Lagoons and any other sailing vessels, monos included, that might tickle your fancy. I assure you, you'll walk away with enough information overload to keep you thinking for a month before you have most of it straight.
How long does this offer stand XD. That is quite a trip because I am in San Diego California.
Old 20-10-2017, 22:13   #22

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

West Coast Multihulls is the San Diego dealer for Seawinds.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 02:15   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

(...)

How hard is it to change the setup to be able to solo?
I converted a Schionning from standard to more solo-friendly.

It was quite some work and included changing the fore sails, moving some winches, adding deck organizers, jammers, etc.

It was not very straightforward as they are built light and to move hardware I had to add a lot of beef where the new hardware positions were.

So, my guess is, in some boats it will be very easy, in others it may be more effort.

I would also invest in a superb AP with internal / external and remote controls: you do not want to be struggling with more than one thing at a time and so the AP becomes your missing crew.

Mind that some regular cats are actually very solo-friendly from the start. Lagoons are not too bad at all in this respect while something more 'racy' may in fact be less solo friendly off the shelf (racing normally implies more crew, not fewer).

I cannot remember any recent solo cats. I think the scene has moved on to racing tris. ORMAs, etc. A s/h ORMA would be the easiest to control solo, but they are not great cruising boats in the common meaning of the phrase.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 05:50   #24
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
How long does this offer stand XD. That is quite a trip because I am in San Diego California.
I'm here all the time and so are they so it's an open offer. South Florida is basically Catamaran central of the world, mono hull central as well.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 06:48   #25

Boat: Valiant 40

I’d certainly be looking at St. Francis cats given your specific requirements.
Old 21-10-2017, 07:20   #26

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Solo is for bankers and other psychopaths. Be human, sail, enjoy, pass on, share.

Cheers,
b.
Hey, I sail solo and take great offense being lumped in with bankers!

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 07:51   #27

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Hey, I sail solo and take great offense being lumped in with bankers!

goat
I am willing to share, but have been unable to find anyone willing to go out in my neck of the Sea of Cortez. My catamaran is presently slipped in Santa Rosalia. Anyone out there?
My Son, his wife and I, have been sailing the east coast of Baja. Plan to cut across to Guaymas first part of next month for a look see. We have two spare cabins.
Getting together on sailing date seems to be the biggest factor followed by the area we sail in. Have a nice day.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 07:54   #28
Marine Service Provider

For performance cruising catamarans in your size range, I would recommend looking at the Balance 451 (http://balancecatamarans.com/). Only problem with that boat is that new it would be a bit above your budget and there are not any used ones on the market yet.

Another brand you should look at is Catana. I am personally not a huge fan - but they definitely sail better than all of the production cats (Leopard, Lagoon & FP).

If you are interested in seeing what a performance catamaran can do - while brushing up on your sailing skills - we have a Balance 451 in our sailing school fleet. I would recommend learning the basics on a small monohull and then doing a seven day course on the Balance.

Let me know if you have any questions - either contact me on CF or dirrectly by email: Chris@LTDsailing.com

Beam winds!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 08:00   #29

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuentes View Post
I am willing to share, but have been unable to find anyone willing to go out in my neck of the Sea of Cortez. My catamaran is presently slipped in Santa Rosalia. Anyone out there?
My Son, his wife and I, have been sailing the east coast of Baja. Plan to cut across to Guaymas first part of next month for a look see. We have two spare cabins.
Getting together on sailing date seems to be the biggest factor followed by the area we sail in. Have a nice day.
¡Hola fuentes! I believe we've met. I was slipped at Santa Rosalia and left for Bay of LA before Lydia came through. I think there's a video of your boat straining the dock lines during the storm. I can probably rustle it up for you, if you are who I think you are.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 12:24   #30

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
¡Hola fuentes! I believe we've met. I was slipped at Santa Rosalia and left for Bay of LA before Lydia came through. I think there's a video of your boat straining the dock lines during the storm. I can probably rustle it up for you, if you are who I think you are.

goat
I believe we have met. That was my boat. We were not there at the time. The slip broke away. The navy and marina boys saved it. They said both were moving away together. I would appreciate the video. It is incredible the small amount of damage all things considered.
Thanks in advance "Chivo". Have a nice day. Hector
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote