Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2020, 02:48   #1

Boat: FP Elba 45
Vision 444

Anybody had a look at the Vision 444 Catamaran, a new model looks to be out of the of the Knysna manufacturer. I thought it has some interesting design ideas I quite liked it, could be a serious competitor to the Seawind 1370.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 03:50   #2

Re: Vision 444

I saw their YouTube videos. It looks like a beautiful and practical design.
rubberducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 16:17   #3

Is anyone familiar with Vision's build quality and attention to detail?
rubberducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 19:02   #4

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberducky View Post
Is anyone familiar with Vision's build quality and attention to detail?
Well not sure of the Company but it looks like Knysna people, if so I have read the the quality was very good, must say the 500 Knysna style was not my cup of tea.

I have studied the video's and I really like the Vision 444, I have sent off a email requesting pricing but have not heard back as yet. What I don't like about the current crop of the big three is the lounge on the roof, more weight, more cost good for the charter people I guess, the Seawind 1370 and the Vision 444 have thankfully not followed this trend, I just wonder where one would store all the cushions when all these seats are not being used.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 00:16   #5

Maybe it's the angle but the bridge deck clearance looks a little low in the back? I know Knysna/ St Francis/ Maverick have a similar tendency. Maybe it's the way they like to do things over there.

The chart table placement seems odd. I guess it's a throwback to monohulls or just different for different sake? But I think having a proper chair with a feeling of space space behind you like all the other performance cats (seawind, outremer, balance, Marsaudon) is the default standard on a cat for a reason.

With all the possibilities of FRP construction, the lines of the boat look a little clunky compared to the outremers and Marsaudons of the world. Seawind looks sleeker in renderings as well but we'll need to see the real thing. Maybe vision doesnt have access to 5 axis milling machines? I notice their designs look a bit industrial compared to outremer, marsaudon, seawind.

Do love the design of the hull interiors though.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 03:27   #6

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

I used to have the drawings and photos of one or two boats, but chose differently. Contact Tommy Smith at https://www.sailawaycatamarans.com/ for updates on the boat. If I recall correctly, they had one boat outfitted for wheelchair access that was pretty impressive. Never saw it in person but there were some nice features.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 14:10   #7

Boat: Knysna 500SE

There is no formal connection between the Knysna Yacht co. which builds the Knysna 500 and Vision 444 apart from the fact that both are located in the city of Knysna in South Africa "Garden Route". I saw the vision 444 videos and it looks like a very well thought and designed boat. Hard to conclude about quality and performance but seems like Vision owners do care.
Old 26-03-2021, 01:07   #8

Just seen this recent video, looks very impressive. sailawaycatamarans has more detailed specs.

Fr33Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 07:43   #9

Boat: Catamaran between 38 and 46 ft.

Apparently Vision has 27 orders for the 444 and delivery for #28 is in 2026!
Cathominem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2021, 13:57   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 38 SEGUE

Anyone know $
r2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 19:49   #11

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

Nice boat, they don’t have 27 orders, though. Not sure where that came from.

This boat was developed off of the 2012 Matrix Vision 450 (same hull moulds) It, too, had a lot going for it, but for some reason they never sold many. I hope this improved version does better.
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 21:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Anybody had a look at the Vision 444 Catamaran, a new model looks to be out of the of the Knysna manufacturer. I thought it has some interesting design ideas I quite liked it, could be a serious competitor to the Seawind 1370.
Interesting. Lots to like in this cat. I much prefer the Vision layout vs. the Seawind 1370. Raised helm, NOT looking through the cabin. All lines led to a SINGLE location, at the helm where you want them. Roomier cockpit - No wasted space for a second helm. Large opening between cockpit and salon without having to winch a folding door out of the way. Large “up” galley. Tech spaces, maintenance access and storage seem well thought out. Overall, like the design.

However, too many unknowns at this point regarding build engineering and quality, as well as performance. The Seawind is a value priced performance cruiser. I’m not sure the Vision is in the same price range and performance. (Looks to be more expensive from what I was able to find.)

Combine this layout with Seawind engineering, performance, and price point, and at least for me, you’d have an ideal boat.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 23:53   #13

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Well not sure of the Company but it looks like Knysna people, if so I have read the the quality was very good, must say the 500 Knysna style was not my cup of tea.

I have studied the video's and I really like the Vision 444, I have sent off a email requesting pricing but have not heard back as yet. What I don't like about the current crop of the big three is the lounge on the roof, more weight, more cost good for the charter people I guess, the Seawind 1370 and the Vision 444 have thankfully not followed this trend, I just wonder where one would store all the cushions when all these seats are not being used.
I totally agree about the lounge roof!

Have not looked closely at the Vision, but seems interesting. Might just take a drive down the road (2.5hrs) and take a look.

Any idea on pricing for a cruise ready unit?

I just noticed it only has a 2.5t payload. There is no specs on fuel/water volumes?
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
I totally agree about the lounge roof!

Have not looked closely at the Vision, but seems interesting. Might just take a drive down the road (2.5hrs) and take a look.

Any idea on pricing for a cruise-ready unit?

I just noticed it only has a 2.5t payload. There is no specs on fuel/water volumes?
$830-890k loaded with options. It is refreshingly well-equipped to begin with. They have some cool improvements coming soon based on my convo with Sail Away Catamarans.

Capacities are listed as 220G water 200G Diesel.

29 Sold, first availability is late 2025.
Macrophylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 21:44   #15

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

I truly want this boat and this manufacturer to be successful. There needs to be more manufacturers that are focused on quality of components and overall build than hitting a budget. With that said, color me skeptical. The quality of the builders needs to match the quality of the boat.
Tommy Smith- this is publicly addressed to you- as a Broker who has a vested interest in the company, 1) Why was your website down for more 7 months starting around September of 2019 and still not up when I backed away from our discussions in April of 2020?
2) How did Vision go from building 3 boats to, as the aforementioned poster stated "28 sold, first availability is late 2025?
3) Vision has no reputation, they are new on the scene, please elaborate how you accomplished selling more boats between now and 2025 than Seawind has managed over the same time frame with their 1370 given that Seawind has been around for 39 years?

I look forward to your reply.
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote