Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2018, 02:48   #226

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...
Re: Ultimate Trimaran Cruising Boat (IMHO)

The Df 1200 now has a successor,the df 40;
https://dragonfly.dk/dragonfly-40

starts at 500k..pff
Rapido is working on a 50 which can fold;
Rapido 50 - Rapido Trimarans

starts at...never mind

cheers and have a nice day!,

JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 05:19   #227

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Seen some lovely little trimarans cruising in the Med. I would struggle with any less interior volume than have at the moment.

Most trimarans seem to have the feeling of a mono in terms of living aboard which is exactly what I don't like. Are the Neels the only ones where the living accommodation is above the waterline?

All that being said, I the DF35 (and the new coming 40) and Corsair 36 do have a more modern looks about them.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 04:50   #228

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Seen some lovely little trimarans cruising in the Med. I would struggle with any less interior volume than have at the moment.

Most trimarans seem to have the feeling of a mono in terms of living aboard which is exactly what I don't like. Are the Neels the only ones where the living accommodation is above the waterline?

All that being said, I the DF35 (and the new coming 40) and Corsair 36 do have a more modern looks about them.
I'm familiar with the Dragonfly tris but have not sailed one. I can speak to the C36 as we owned hull #10, and just sold it 3 weeks ago. She was great fun to sail, and received admiring looks everywhere we went. With the upgraded dagger style rudder instead of the original kick up, we only needed fingertip control. We spent our 4 week honeymoon aboard sailing from the Chesapeake to Martha's Vineyard and back. We have fond memories, however we felt cramped inside, and climbing down into the aft queen berth wasn't that much fun! I will admit we're getting older, (57/65) and want more comfort which is why we're moving to a cat, but unless you go big, you'll never do more than a comfy camping.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00X0X_8t4h3X1SOqu_1200x900.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	180626   Click image for larger version

Name:	00w0w_hfR8xhUNeBg_600x450.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	180627  

LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 08:30   #229

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The fixed ama tris often will have extra living space in the wings so you might get a little more room than the same length mono. But you have a wide boat with all the marina and haulout hassles. My 34' Crowther was 24' wide.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:52   #230

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
Steve Ripples, that looks like one sweet ride. I am a sucker for look and feel of wood. I would almost insist my ultimate ride had a wood look down below. Not on deck though!
I ran across these shots of Virgin Fire. The more I get to see the more I like about this boat. It looks like it is mostly a mainsail driven boat. Big (wood) wing mast with a huge roach mainsail, and a self tending (small) Jib. Combined with the huge stability of those Ama's out there, I bet this is a joy to ride.
So far it is in my top 3 "ultimate Trimaran cruisng boat" of what I have been able to gather so far. Virgin Fire, Newick Traveler, Chris White Hammerhead.
Digging up an old thread… just arrived in St Martin and pretty sure Virgin Fire is across the channel from us!👌

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 06:33   #231
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBF View Post
If the guidelines are for a "dream" tri with no other considerations, than I would want an updated version of Erik Lerouge's PULSAR 50 cruiser-racer.

Tris 16m
You can start with just 30-ft of Eric's Pulsar @ much lower price!
The boat is used in "racing mode" so she is empty inside giving a good chance to build her interior to Your taste!
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 13:35   #232

Boat: Trimarans!

I loved this old thread!
Everything is a compromise and a choice. I had a Dragonfly 35 for many years. It was nice, offshore capable (Cape Mendocino during my Puget Sound - LA trip!), and using a mono slip in LB for weekend escapades to Catalina worked for me. Now that I’m not limited to local weekends and therefore marina slips, Faamu Sami at 46’ is a good fit. Way more capable in every way than the DF, because of size and power/weight. Perfect size (standing room, yet anything bigger would be too hard). Some vids at: www.youtube.com/@faamusami

Buddy looked good, shame about what happened. CW Hammerhead IMHO is a bit less good looking than Faamu Sami, but would be my close second choice. More boat at 54’.

For new builds, Rapidos look pretty nice to me, but way more $$$.
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2023, 03:07   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbm View Post
I loved this old thread!
Everything is a compromise and a choice. I had a Dragonfly 35 for many years. It was nice, offshore capable (Cape Mendocino during my Puget Sound - LA trip!), and using a mono slip in LB for weekend escapades to Catalina worked for me. Now that I’m not limited to local weekends and therefore marina slips, Faamu Sami at 46’ is a good fit. Way more capable in every way than the DF, because of size and power/weight. Perfect size (standing room, yet anything bigger would be too hard). Some vids at: www.youtube.com/@faamusami

Buddy looked good, shame about what happened. CW Hammerhead IMHO is a bit less good looking than Faamu Sami, but would be my close second choice. More boat at 54’.

For new builds, Rapidos look pretty nice to me, but way more $$$.
What is Faamu Sami… a Condor 50?

For me - google the Shuttleworth 58. Sold recently for $250k - a heck of a lot of boat for the price and looks fast sitting still.

N
Old 18-12-2023, 18:39   #234

Boat: Trimarans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
What is Faamu Sami… a Condor 50?

For me - google the Shuttleworth 58. Sold recently for $250k - a heck of a lot of boat for the price and looks fast sitting still.

N
Yeah, no, it’s no Condor. Look at the vids. A custom Kurt Hughes 46’. CF beams and spars, fiberglass/foam hulls.

Are you talking about the Shuttleworth sold in Italy? I liked it, a bit dated, can be called classic. Where did it go? Berthing in the Med must be a major problem.
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2023, 23:57   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbm View Post
Yeah, no, it’s no Condor. Look at the vids. A custom Kurt Hughes 46’. CF beams and spars, fiberglass/foam hulls.

Are you talking about the Shuttleworth sold in Italy? I liked it, a bit dated, can be called classic. Where did it go? Berthing in the Med must be a major problem.
Gotcha! Yeh that’s a nice tri, and mid-40’s is in the range of decent interior volume as well.

That’s the one - La Goiaia or something like that. For sure it could’ve been updated but looking at the original lines, she’s very slippery and should be good for cruising in the high teens. Not sure where it went though! I suspect like a lot of these larger tris, they get updated and either raced or cruised. And yep, Med berthing is a PITA - hence why we moved to the Carib!

N
Old 19-12-2023, 06:12   #236

Sad ending…https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/panteras-bob-smith-finally-identified/
Old 19-12-2023, 06:22   #237

Kurt Hughes design
Old 05-02-2024, 17:07   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Very sad news indeed.

Tags
trimaran