Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 20-10-2008, 20:39   #226

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Update

Well.... not as much done as I had hoped by now on "going back together" Been a bunch of stuff here house wise and vehichels wise. I have got all the wires home and should start splicing the Dux on the afternoons it gets too warm. I have been fighting a makor battle in my head how to remove all the bottom paint so I can start over clean. Everyone in Mexico sands with grinders.. I was looking at ...Peel Away®, Dumond Chemicals - Applications and Solutions the stuff sounds too good to be true. Found is cheapest at Defender.

Also has anyone had any used this bottom paint. I did a number of searches and talked to them on the phone today...real nice small shop it sounds like....Super Shipbottom* Hard Ablative Antifouling Paint

KAITO KA1103 AM FM SSB HF PLL SHORT WAVE RADIO RECEIVER - eBay (item 250310169017 end time Nov-15-08 15:00:15 PST)
I also ordered this little gem....with this radio and a free program I will be able to recieve weather fax's, and listen into the various sailing nets out here.

I went to clean up my rudder today (sand and prep fror paint) and discovered that the shaft for my self steering vane has been attacted by elecltroylisis...pretty bad. Going to have to into town tomorrow to our local machine shope and get another piece of round stock threaded on to and reglass the trailing edge to get back online with that. It is the only piece of under water metal that is not bonded to a zinc. I will have to remedy that somehow.

I found one my cleats I missed before I took all of them to get powder coated. Thought I would shoot a before and after shot. maybe I will have to take another shot in a year or so of use...:-)

Plugging away, enjoying the process...:-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA180018.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	5561   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA190023.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	5562  

Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 07:15   #227

Here is a good link to see the Brummel splice that we use on the Dux for rigging. (notice the expensive fid he uses...hahahah, and the blue masking tape....oh man...this stuff breaks a lot of the old school rules that it has to be expensive and hard to do and require special tools.....stuff...I love it)
Multi Marine :: The Art and Science of Sailing
Old 21-10-2008, 08:34   #228

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
J,

Is that one of those fancy new Bic fids? Is he using fine point or medium? I wonder what they get for those at WM. It takes me about 45min to put an eye splice in yacht braid with one of those old-style hollow fids and the instructions in my lap. Looks like Dux is a lot easier. I'm going to look real hard at this stuff when it comes time to rerig. By the way, congratulatioins on the boat!

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 11:49   #229

Boat: Brown Searunner 40, Mako 191 w/130 Honda
New to site, Hello

In the past few years I have become the owner of a Brown Searunner 40 that is about half built. The project is in a barn in Alviso and has been collecting dust for about 10 years. I have been paying off the project for about two years. Due to the economy my work has been cut to one day a week. This may sound bad but for the first time I'm working on the boat.
I love to take my 20 ft Mako CC fifty miles offshore chasing tuna and I LOVE the ocean! I want to go further and stay longer, The searunner 40 looks to be a good choise, speed, shallow draft, low fuel cost, proven design. No I don't care to pack the hull with fish, I just want enough for dinner but will go the extra mile for tuna. I have traveled to Baja with the Mako and the further I get fom the US and tourist locations the better I like it. I spent a winter in Mag Bay and had the best time of my life.
Gettin back to the Searunner, the hulls are attached with the main strength bulkheads. The tanks are in, a new (ten year old) Volvo deisel is hanging above the cockpit area. The head area is mostly done and the aft cabin has been built into a nice master bedroom. The previous owner was planning on having two open areas on each wing deck, but no under wing decks, decking, galley, cockpit seating, or cabin tops.
The plan is to build the interior and install the engine prior to the decking and cabin tops. The project came with many of the things that I will need to complete this 40, such as steering, mast, rigging, sails, power with shaft prop ect. The things that aren't included are winches, windless, watermaker, batteries, electronics, compressors, heater, and hotwater heater. Installation pictures and what you like or dislike about the things I still need (brand name, model number, best place to buy) would be a big help.
At present I 'm building the floors in the galley, pictures of a searunner 40 with the galley just behind cockpit to get ideas of how to build would also be a big help. All pictures of Searunner 40 design and construction are welcome and can be sent to mmesseremc@yahoo.com

I can tell you that the more I look at this job, the bigger it gets but I enjoy the building when it is on my own boat.

Please bear with me as I will have many questions as I go foward, so thanks in advance.

Voyager Mark
Voyager Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 12:06   #230

Welcome Voyager Mark!

I was just preparing a post on rigging and saw you rnew post. Welcome to the band of crazies here...:-) I live in San Carlos Mexico and have a 15.5' Hobie power skiff that we do much of what you talk about. Fun Fun Fun!

I recently recieved an email on a 1 year old rig from Aust. I know they rigging new F-boats in Vietnam and a couple 50' cats in the same factory. I will update here as I learn Also I will post a couple shots of the rig pertaining the email here. Good going!....:-)

Hello John,

after a years sailing i have closely inspected my rig on the 42 ft sloop Landfall. In the year i have tightened the lowers once after restepping the mast and then re tightened by a full turn all shrouds and lowers a month ago, backstay is untouched.

On my yacht the shrouds run over the spreader tips, this area was unchanged from when i used wire, i only filed out the spreader grooves to ensure they were smooth

Rig inspection i had already carried out myself, but i then had the same done by a licensed rigger, but one who had no connection with the re rig, i particularly asked to check spreader ends/ dynex and terminations into the mast. We took all leathers off the spreaders.

There was no sign of chafe at any point, there is no sign of wear anywhere. I have over 2/3 adjust still left on all my turnbuckles and the rig is tight. My turnbuckles are standard marine Navtec open body.

We use calibarated dux for all shrouds, lowers, backstay, main halyard, topping lift, and in anti twist luffs on staysails and gennaker. Dynex is used in our steering cable set up.

The only wire left on the boat is the forestay under the furler simply because i cannot fit a thimble inside the furler drum, otherwise that would go as well

Please feel free to use this if you want, hope all is well, i wish this damn economic uncertainty was over

regards

mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	landfallstrongropestandingriggin-1.jpeg
Views:	1238
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	5577   Click image for larger version

Name:	landfallstrongropestandingriggin-2.jpeg
Views:	1103
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	5578  

Name:	landfallstrongropestandingrigging00.jpeg
Views:	903
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	5579   Click image for larger version

Name:	landfallstrongropestandingriggingat.jpeg
Views:	804
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	5580  

Old 22-10-2008, 14:46   #231

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha
Hi Voyager Mark
I would say you have a big job ahead of you.
But its amazing how it one can get through each job if you can be methodically minded.
If you would like to send some pics through of your progress I am sure there will be several comments and idea's.
The configuration with a 40 ft searunner is exciting and with todays new innovations and product knowlege it is so much better.
The Searunner 40 with its bouyancy and strength is a very clever concept.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 15:17   #232

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Rann
Mark,

Welcome to the group. You will find lots of helpful folks and good information as you work on your Searunner 40.

I am in the process of restoring a Searunner 34. It is in the Long Beach area of Southern California and I now live in Oregon, so getting the work done is a bit of a commute!

As has already been said, just plug away at it, and the magnitude of the project won't overwhelm you. Take lots of pictures so you can see what you have accomplished. I look back at my starting point via photos, and it encourages me when I think I will never finish. Just seeing what has been done helps a lot. Often in the middle of several projects it seems as if no progress is being made. But when I look at what I accomplished, I realize I am gaining on it.

My wife and I will be heading down from Oregon to the boat in early December. How close to you do we come on !-5? Perhaps we could meet and share some ideas.

Recently I met Jack Molan and his wife as they headed south for San Carlos. We exchanged some good thoughts about our two 34's, and I am convinced the way to go with standing rigging is synthetic. Jack gave me a sample piece of the Dynex Dux with a Brummel splice in both ends. I will be re-rigging soon and feel this is the best choice for the Searunners with all those wires (lines!) holding up the stick.

Fairwinds and following seas,

Rann
ETAK, Searunner 34
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 15:47   #233

Which San Carlos

I live in San Carlos Mexico and have a 15.5' Hobie power skiff that we do much of what you talk about. Fun Fun Fun!

Is that Purto San Carlos on Mag Bay or is that San Carlos over on the mainland?
Old 22-10-2008, 16:16   #234
Kai Nui

Mak,
I think someone recently was telling me about your boat. If I remember who it was, they have some history on it, and I will pass it along. How are you going to get her launched? Alviso is not accessable any more. Even with shallow draft, trucking your tri up 101 or 880 is not going to be a simple task.
Old 22-10-2008, 18:50   #235

Alviso launch

San Jose said that they were going to build a new ramp, they have been saying that for five years but by the time I get this thing built who knows. There is a trailer (not on location) I'm told that I can use and up 101 to Redwoodcity. I may be able to get the city to help with a crain on the levy since they closed the ramp, yes I'M DREAMING but I will be dreaming about launch for a long time.
Old 22-10-2008, 20:11   #236

Boat: inspiration 10 - 10.5 mtrs capricorn magic
What about some pics of all your tris! Would love to see what they're like. How do you go for marina fees you guys with the fixed wing tris?
lolanreg@smartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 20:13   #237
Kai Nui

Best of luck. Who knows, might work out. If not, there is always a solution. Just a matter of money. San Leandro might be a better option. 237 to 880 would be a better route for the beam you have. Next time I am up there, I'll buy you a beer at the Grotto if you are around.
Old 22-10-2008, 20:14   #238
Kai Nui

lolanreg, I have a bunch in the gallery. Granted mine is a Piver, but the concept is the same. I just don't have on of those high falutin center cockpits
Old 22-10-2008, 20:39   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager Mark View Post
I live in San Carlos Mexico and have a 15.5' Hobie power skiff that we do much of what you talk about. Fun Fun Fun!

Is that Purto San Carlos on Mag Bay or is that San Carlos over on the mainland?

San Carlos Sonora on the mainland.
Old 22-10-2008, 20:46   #240

Rann, taking pics is a great idea! I better start as things are changing here now.....:-) Some Pics for Voyager Mark of the boat and San Carlos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	San Carlos.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	5590   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1852.JPG
Views:	468
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	5591  

Name:	IMG_0741.jpg