Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2018, 06:52   #31

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Transom Extensions

Simi, that boat looks awesome!!!

Still, I do wonder what the shift in lateral surface will mean to steering, helm and sail balance.

Forward a lot of extra surface below DWL aft not so.

Looks great though a the luck there is for that project.
Old 19-11-2018, 08:14   #32

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

In general, it is a great idea adding a sugar scoop transom and Iv'e seen it in quite few boats.
However, few factors should be considered before and when designing the extension:
1. If the transom is already curved up and narrow (common with older boats), it wouldn't be a good idea, if you just plan on continuing the hull shape. In fact, it will make the swimming platform way higher and narrower.

2. If the hull is wide and low/close to the water, an extension will work very well, easy climbing and potentially also extending the waterline.

3. I once looked at an option to really rebuild a whole boat's aft area in order to widen it all the way from the widest beam... if the core original boat is really a great one and if your brother owns a super pro boatyard and if you like innovative projects and if and if... you can turn an old limited good boat into a very modern super yacht - you can even super modernize the transom with a folding platform, turn into a center cockpit style etc. etc... --- the sky is the limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurean View Post
Two years ago we went to the Outremer factory in Canet-en-Roussillon and was told that Outremer had extended the transom on the 45 by 4 feet, I believe. They said it was a large improvement. (They also said they wouldn't be calling it an Outremer 49.) That seems a very common thing to do. Are there any contributors who can share their experiences? How much improvement was realized? Are there any down sides? How much did it cost, if it was done after the boat was purchased? How is it advantageous? Are you satisfied that bit was worth it?
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 08:42   #33

I extended my Manta 38 and it was all good for all the reasons as above. Very worthwhile for little cost. My extensions were an add-on, with no changes in the existing transoms (grind off some gelcoat, screw some supports for the in-place molds into the hull forward of the transom and begin laying up a foam core add-on), thus if they were torn off, no loss of watertight integrity. Increased load carrying - especially for dinghy in davits, all the tankage being at the aft area. The difference between the original Manta 38 and the 40 is essentially the transom extension so they could install larger engines, hardtop and big dinghy and outboard. I have met a Manta 40 that extended the transoms even further and liked it.

I made mine with the side boarding, as shown on the Seawind, and loved it.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 18:33   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
If you're going to do an extension at least make it worthwhile and pick up a batten and follow those lines.

Crowther/Geoff Cruse foam kevlar epoxy super shockwave getting a makeover.
omg that's a nice project
Any more pics or info about it?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote