Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 18:05   #91
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Since I posted I have returned to Panama due to some problems as posted. The nets we installed let water go through them in both directions freely, and sometimes that was mountains of water. The nets were a concern for holding water, but that concern has disappated.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:44   #92
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Warranty is given is a claim is made and you do not have a trampoline from us Nautilass.
I did not receive any claim so far.

Greetings

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:59   #93
DtM

It would be a great shame if this thread was contaminated by another Fastcat and consumer fight.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 19:22   #94
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
No kidding DtM. It sounds ugly.
Old 02-07-2010, 21:14   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Since I posted I have returned to Panama due to some problems as posted. The nets we installed let water go through them in both directions freely, and sometimes that was mountains of water. The nets were a concern for holding water, but that concern has disappated.......i2f
Sorry to hear about your recent setback, i2f. At least your choice of tramps passed the test. Just read your full account and can only wish you far better luck when you're ready for the Pacific again.
nautilass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:07   #96

Boat: Marples 40 Constant Camber
I've had dyneema UltraCross nets on my tri for some five years now and am well pleased with them. Material purchased from Net Systems in Bainbridge, WA on recommendation of some pro multihull designers. The mesh is about 7/8 inch, very comfortable to walk on and sheds water without problem. I sewed the nets around a frame of 3/4 inch fibreglass batten and then laced the frame to the hulls. Recently resewed the nets with dyneema Lash-It cord having first used a waxed polyester that predictably disintegrated in the So Cal sun. I had also experimented by lacing some of the net with heavy Teflon sewing thread (Tenarra brand name?). That area was also in excellent shape. I should have kept on with it the first time around. Not cheap but I dislike long-distance swimming too much to scrimp.
pwratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:00   #97

Thanks for posting, pwratch. Just the sort of detail I was hoping for.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:33   #98

Boat: hitchhiker 15 metre "Zenataos" ZenAndTheArtOfSailing
Send a message via Yahoo to zenataos
nets for multi's

Hi Sonosailor
Recently replaced the nets on my 51 ft cat for $300aus. Problem with most nets is that they have knots. The knots tighten and the net sags at that point and cannot be retensioned. OR, the netting material is woven, often too tight to adequately let through wind and waves resulting in failure of fixing points or netting,OR the netting material is not u.v , salt water and wear resistant enough. I bought 2000 metres of polyethylene mono rope in 5mm. I then ran a length every 3inches fore and aft, using a modified truckies hitch to tension each strand. At first glance this is very unsatisfactory having lots of "give". However as I began to put strands across from port to starboard using a simple over under weave the net became more and more rigid to the point of supporting me and two helpers as we wove the lines through. The finished product may take some refining to look right but its strength and longevity cannot be questioned plus it won't ever sag as there are no knots joining the weave. I have had 8 people lifting a heavy inflatable off the nets when it was originally done in 3mm p.e. so the 5mm is much stronger, and kinder on the feet. Try it and see, for the price it is excellent. Used 25mmpvc pipe glassed on to edges with a s.s. wire running through it and cut every 3 inches for tie off points.
zenataos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:58   #99

Boat: Marples 40 Constant Camber
A pleasure to help, nautilass. I'll add that the Net Systems website provides information on the proper repair of their knotless net material. The same techniques will serve to build the nets that you need as well. I'm of the strong opinion that sailors are better served building what they can if they can as they will then be able to repair it when (not if) needed. Building the nets is simple though repetitious. Think meditative. Netting needles are available from some craft stores. A Google search will turn up something as I cannot recall the name of my source. The only trick part of the whole project was the pieces that cap the battens at the corners and provide the means to attach one batten to the next. I used 1 inch delrin rod (avail. from McMaster Carr) cut into oh, 5 inch lengths. Use a drill press and buy a 1 inch and a 3/4 inch bit. Spade bits will do fine and are inexpensive as well. You don't want a bit that will self-feed. Clamp a block of wood of some thickness, say 4 or 5 inches under the bit and drill a 1 inch hole into it. Leave the wood block in position with its perfectly centered 1 inch hole in it and replace the bit with the 3/4 inch one. Pop one of the lengths of delrin rod into the hole in the wood and drill the 3/4 inch hole in its center to a depth of say 3 inches. Do this for all the pieces necessary, 2 per corner plus a couple as you will surely make sacrifice to the sea gods as you do the install. Take the drilled pieces and, in the not-drilled end, drill a hole for the connecting bolt. Then cut or grind opposite sides of the piece perpendicular to the bolt hole in order to leave maybe half the thickness as an ear in the middle of the delrin rod. So, 1 inch rod with 1/4 removed from each side to leave 1/2 in the middle. Slip 'em on the ends of the battens an bolt it all together. I used 5200 on mine but it was a waste as apparently delrin is impervious to it and so, no adhesion. Don't bother as there is another way to solve the problem of the ends slipping off the battens as the nets flex.
The only other bit you might find useful is that I used electrician's shrink-fit tubing to cover the length of batten to protect them from UV. It's worked great. Don't use the type with adhesive as repair is problematic. Even comes in colors though not very lightfast. I used black.
Wow, that was windy!
pwratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:05   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwratch View Post
A pleasure to help, nautilass. I'll add that the Net Systems website provides information on the proper repair of their knotless net material. The same techniques will serve to build the nets that you need as well. I'm of the strong opinion that sailors are better served building what they can if they can as they will then be able to repair it when (not if) needed. Building the nets is simple though repetitious. Think meditative. Netting needles are available from some craft stores. A Google search will turn up something as I cannot recall the name of my source. The only trick part of the whole project was the pieces that cap the battens at the corners and provide the means to attach one batten to the next. I used 1 inch delrin rod (avail. from McMaster Carr) cut into oh, 5 inch lengths. Use a drill press and buy a 1 inch and a 3/4 inch bit. Spade bits will do fine and are inexpensive as well. You don't want a bit that will self-feed. Clamp a block of wood of some thickness, say 4 or 5 inches under the bit and drill a 1 inch hole into it. Leave the wood block in position with its perfectly centered 1 inch hole in it and replace the bit with the 3/4 inch one. Pop one of the lengths of delrin rod into the hole in the wood and drill the 3/4 inch hole in its center to a depth of say 3 inches. Do this for all the pieces necessary, 2 per corner plus a couple as you will surely make sacrifice to the sea gods as you do the install. Take the drilled pieces and, in the not-drilled end, drill a hole for the connecting bolt. Then cut or grind opposite sides of the piece perpendicular to the bolt hole in order to leave maybe half the thickness as an ear in the middle of the delrin rod. So, 1 inch rod with 1/4 removed from each side to leave 1/2 in the middle. Slip 'em on the ends of the battens an bolt it all together. I used 5200 on mine but it was a waste as apparently delrin is impervious to it and so, no adhesion. Don't bother as there is another way to solve the problem of the ends slipping off the battens as the nets flex.
The only other bit you might find useful is that I used electrician's shrink-fit tubing to cover the length of batten to protect them from UV. It's worked great. Don't use the type with adhesive as repair is problematic. Even comes in colors though not very lightfast. I used black.
Wow, that was windy!
pwratch ... I've only just found this. Terrific stuff! Thank you for your effort and willingness to share. All very much appreciated ... the internet at its most productive!
Old 13-10-2010, 08:25   #101

Boat: Stiletto 40yrs - F. P. Tobago 35'
Our Stiletto has had 3 new tramps over the last 30 yrs made from Jumping tramp material but laced with Nylon so is is ridged I was going to make my own but ran out of time here is a supplier in the states that has all kinds of mesh even uv protected tramp material Mesh for Clothing, Bags, Screening and more! good luck
SwFlaCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:54   #102

Boat: Shuttleworth 31
Just a quick vote of satisfaction for Net Systems, I called them on Skype from the UK with some queries and was told everything I needed to know and more - very helpful guy called Xzaliver White. Ordered some Ultracross and it arrived four days despite a 5000 mile delivery. Top Notch.
elhix is offline   Reply With Quote