Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 15:39   #136

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
The biggest con in owning a cat for me is that when you are cooking sausages on the BBQ they don't roll off!
Old 12-03-2012, 15:48   #137

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: The Cons of Owning a Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
The biggest con in owning a cat for me is that when you are cooking sausages on the BBQ they don't roll off!
Did you mean "Pro", or do you just hate sausages?

Ayn Rand
Old 12-03-2012, 15:57   #138
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Although I've never owned a catamaran, and probably never will, I've decided that the major con to cat ownership is that you'll never be accepted as a real cruiser by the fellow down on the docks who speaks fluent pirate and whose Margaritaville t-shirt is always befouled by parrot guano.

Maybe that's not such a bad thing?
I get the same thing from monos AND multis for owning-gasp!-a motorsailor. And god forbid it has in mast furling as well. Some of us are much more worried about a solid comfortable build that will get us there safely without breaking than we are about a few knots more speed. Apparently that's not "real" cruising either. Though I think just the opposite myself. I don't get all the "mine is better than yours" that goes on in these threads-all boats are different for different needs. The multi types definitely seem to be the most egregious committers of that sin. At least half the multihullers on this thread couldn't think of a single real con, despite the fact that every boat is a compromise. Too much bluster and bs.
To stay on topic, while I don't have experience sailing large cats, I have repaired countless, including commissioning new boats shipped into the US by major manufacturers elsewhere. My opinion is that the pursuit of light weight and speed has resulted in multis which are prone to structural failure. I have done major structural repairs on brand new boats in commission because they were experiencing too many structural failures. I've ground into more than enough of these boats to see how they're built and how they fail. When cats break its a big deal. I've had to reinforce amas, add stringers to bridge decks, etc etc. They're getting better as the tech progresses, but I've seen too many scary problems to consider owning one myself. At least not for the long term voyaging I'm planning. I want something I can beat the help out of and have it not notice, not something delicate fragile and fast. Pickup not lamborghini. It's better if you're going offroad.
Old 12-03-2012, 15:59   #139

Prefer steak myself,
Old 12-03-2012, 16:03   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I get the same thing from monos AND multis for owning-gasp!-a motorsailor. And god forbid it has in mast furling as well. Some of us are much more worried about a solid comfortable build that will get us there safely without breaking than we are about a few knots more speed. Apparently that's not "real" cruising either. Though I think just the opposite myself. I don't get all the "mine is better than yours" that goes on in these threads-all boats are different for different needs. The multi types definitely seem to be the most egregious committers of that sin. At least half the multihullers on this thread couldn't think of a single real con, despite the fact that every boat is a compromise. Too much bluster and bs.
To stay on topic, while I don't have experience sailing large cats, I have repaired countless, including commissioning new boats shipped into the US by major manufacturers elsewhere. My opinion is that the pursuit of light weight and speed has resulted in multis which are prone to structural failure. I have done major structural repairs on brand new boats in commission because they were experiencing too many structural failures. I've ground into more than enough of these boats to see how they're built and how they fail. When cats break its a big deal. I've had to reinforce amas, add stringers to bridge decks, etc etc. They're getting better as the tech progresses, but I've seen too many scary problems to consider owning one myself. At least not for the long term voyaging I'm planning. I want something I can beat the help out of and have it not notice, not something delicate fragile and fast. Pickup not lamborghini. It's better if you're going offroad.
So, what brands?
And was this recently?
Old 12-03-2012, 16:07   #141

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
So, what brands?
And was this recently?

You are not the only one wondering.

I note he says (They're getting better as the tech progresses)
Old 12-03-2012, 16:20   #142

Yes Minaret do tell?
Old 12-03-2012, 16:23   #143
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
I have repaired countless, including commissioning new boats shipped into the US by major manufacturers elsewhere. My opinion is that the pursuit of light weight and speed has resulted in multis which are prone to structural failure. I have done major structural repairs on brand new boats in commission because they were experiencing too many structural failures. I've ground into more than enough of these boats to see how they're built and how they fail. When cats break its a big deal. I've had to reinforce amas, add stringers to bridge decks, etc etc.
Yes let us know the details this could help all of us !
Old 12-03-2012, 16:25   #144

As a catamaran owner I think there is a price point where monohulls have so much more to offer: greater payload, larger, more spacious interior, usually better sailing cockpit, far more variety of models available. (And several other reasons which I have forgotten.)
This includes both ends of the bell curve. Imagine trying to find dockage with 50+ ft beam? Whereas the likes of "Maltese Falcon", "EOS" can dock with cruise ships...
Old 12-03-2012, 16:28   #145

I haven't been here long, but so far, every time there's any sort of 'opinion' type thread in the >>>MULTIHULL FORUM<<<, some leaner-sailor(s) has/have to bust in and denigrate multihulls.

Now, I don't go to the monohull forum, but does the same thing happen there, do multihullers go over there and put down monohulls?

It'd be one thing if the thread in a general forum, or even a thread in the MONOHULL forum, but this IS the MULTIHULL forum. If you don't like MULTIHULLS then why be here at all?
Old 12-03-2012, 16:37   #146

Ya besides joking around about which is better, the whole my boat is better than yours is like a bunch of 12 year olds in a play ground. Who gives a rats ass. You own what you can afford and like. All boats are fun! It just sounds like a bunch of guys in their 50s and 60s with nothing better to do than bash someone else. Do you guys do this on the dock face to face too? Or in the parking lot? My SUV is better than your sport car. ha ha. Mine's faster, well mine can drive over yours. Well I can seat 8. So what I can get to the store faster in my porsche and I don't like taxing people around anyways.

I am assuming everyone is just joking around and meant to be taken with a grain of salt. No one is this immature who can afford a boat right?
Old 12-03-2012, 16:37   #147
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
I don't get all the "mine is better than yours" that goes on in these threads-all boats are different for different needs. The multi types definitely seem to be the most egregious committers of that sin. At least half the multihullers on this thread couldn't think of a single real con, despite the fact that every boat is a compromise. Too much bluster and bs.
Where to begin here...

For a start, let's look at the "couldn't think of a single real con" remark. A cursory check of posts by multihullers on this thread shows the following cons...
- costs (many variations on this theme...up front, maintenance, cleaning, berthing, etc etc)
- more limited access to marinas
- hobbie horse sea motion
- bridge deck slamming
- lack of wave penetration ability
- lack of rig stress 'feedback' when underway
- leeway

So minaret, tell us again about how we couldn't find a single con...

Then there's the really offensive bit about how multihullers are (somehow?) the greatest 'my boat is better than yours' sinners. Another cursory scan of this thread (and many others!) will show an almost limitless supply of monohullers who post the most extraordinary and mis-informed attacks on multihulls...and what, we're supposed to just say 'OK...whatever'?!? Here's a thought for you...perhaps there may actually be people reading these threads in search of information and who want to be accurately informed...and thus there may also be an obligation to correct the "bluster and bs" wrongly posted regarding multihulls.

Minaret you seem (with the greatest respect here) to carry a bit of 'chip on the shoulder' toward multihulls. We're no different to anyone else...including yourself...in that we chose our vessels for personal reasons and we respect others' rights to do the same. In fact it seems to us that we probably share a lot of the values you embrace in your own posts. So please, stick to your experience and skip the back-handers toward multihullers, or anyone else for that matter.
Old 12-03-2012, 16:39   #148

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

One con i have not seen mentioned (or perhaps just missed) is the jerky motion that is not particularly comfortable, i used to own a 36ft net and tube cat which was somewhat flexible and had a nice smooth motion so when i did a short cruise on a Catana i was somewhat supprised as nobody seems to talk about that, you needed to be hanging on with both hands moving around the boat in a seaway, much like on a keelboat. Im sure you get used to it but that great level platform is not quite as comfortable as it would seem. How do narrower cats like the Gemini fare in this department? I still prefer it to heeling at 15-20 degrees though.
Steve.
Old 12-03-2012, 16:41   #149

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
I haven't been here long, but so far, every time there's any sort of 'opinion' type thread in the >>>MULTIHULL FORUM<<<, some leaner-sailor(s) has/have to bust in and denigrate multihulls.

Now, I don't go to the monohull forum, but does the same thing happen there, do multihullers go over there and put down monohulls?

It'd be one thing if the thread in a general forum, or even a thread in the MONOHULL forum, but this IS the MULTIHULL forum. If you don't like MULTIHULLS then why be here at all?
Just be happy in the knowledge that your boat, mixing it up with others on Lake Tahoe, is the one to beat. Only happens when another Corsair with more sail up than you crosses your path. My brother has an F-28 and boy was it fun in the high altitude gusty winds.
Old 12-03-2012, 16:48   #150

It is hard to come up with a Con for cats. These come to mind:
* Moorage at a dock is usualy more expensive.
*It can be hard to tell when you are over canvassed, need to learn to watch for it.
*often an additional motor to maintain. (then again it is redundency!)
*The motion is less severe, but more jerky. Personally I prefer the jerky over bruised hips..
* for the true thrill of sailing, spray flying, beating to weather the mono wins. You just point a cat and go... with your coffee on the table...
* After being in a harbor for a couple of weeks, you dont get the thrill of spending 1.5 hours dis-assembling the dingy, scrubbing the slime and barnacles off, hoisting it aboard and lashing it down before you leave. (with a cat the bottom is clean because it spends nights on the davits and the motor stays on the dingy.)
:>)

Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran