Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 09:55   #106
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: The Cons of Owning a Catamaran

One really Bad thing about most cats is that there unsinkable so if I want to ever collect on a bogus insurance claim by making her sink I can’t do it , so I just have to sell it-
Some other things I do not like about my cat is-it sleeps 9 in 5 cabins so with all the people you have onboard things get a little close-of course some don’t seem to mind getting close & naked on deck -(i just close my eyes) That sort of thing tends to raise the temperature so I just climb in the big enough fridge and cool off- this is not as nice as it may seem because I wind up crushing some of the food and have to throw it away!(expensive)
I get so close to a beach that I have been warned by local officials that i was too close and have had one of my crews flip them the finger and pissed the official off enough to run us off of the only spot in the anchorage- I canned my crew for that one, so back to being single handed again! Then there’s all that deck space to worry about- my grand kids was caught riding the bikes around deck (dangerous these damm cats) -All that room on my davits are forcing me to buy a lot of solar panels and in turn bigger battery bank so I can be away from all the beautiful people in the big cities-I miss that too- it sucks to spend your money this way but what’s a man to do?? And then what about all the lonely woman who find out your single, throwing themselves on you- because they think your loaded-you have to make up some kind of story to keep them off you, or you never get any rest!-Life is HARD when you’re a single handler on a cat! Gez I could go on and on how bad it is but I will spare you all any more BS
Old 12-03-2012, 10:39   #107
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Whoops, I think I might disagree on the 130~160nm a day runs for a 40 footer. Are you forgetting Stan Honey won the Transpac back in the mid 90's on a 20 year old Cal 40? I sailed my Cal 40 from Long Beach to Mulege non-stop 151 1/2 hours, and that, Mike w, is laying down 230 nm days average.
Six days. Impressive. Any trouble clearing in at Mulege after have gone all the way around?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:45   #108

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin

"...Gez I could go on and on how bad it is but I will spare you all any more BS..."

Ram,

I didn't realize it was going to get so tough owning a cat!

I guess I should think about selling!

Marshall
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59   #109
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram
One really Bad thing about most cats is that there unsinkable so if I want to ever collect on a bogus insurance claim by making her sink I can’t do it , so I just have to sell it-
Some other things I do not like about my cat is-it sleeps 9 in 5 cabins so with all the people you have onboard things get a little close-of course some don’t seem to mind getting close & naked on deck -(i just close my eyes) That sort of thing tends to raise the temperature so I just climb in the big enough fridge and cool off- this is not as nice as it may seem because I wind up crushing some of the food and have to throw it away!(expensive)
I get so close to a beach that I have been warned by local officials that i was too close and have had one of my crews flip them the finger and pissed the official off enough to run us off of the only spot in the anchorage- I canned my crew for that one, so back to being single handed again! Then there’s all that deck space to worry about- my grand kids was caught riding the bikes around deck (dangerous these damm cats) -All that room on my davits are forcing me to buy a lot of solar panels and in turn bigger battery bank so I can be away from all the beautiful people in the big cities-I miss that too- it sucks to spend your money this way but what’s a man to do?? And then what about all the lonely woman who find out your single, throwing themselves on you- because they think your loaded-you have to make up some kind of story to keep them off you, or you never get any rest!-Life is HARD when you’re a single handler on a cat! Gez I could go on and on how bad it is but I will spare you all any more BS
Need crew!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:31   #110

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Six days. Impressive. Any trouble clearing in at Mulege after have gone all the way around?
If I remember, I already had my tourist card, Mexican HAM call, and insurance, from the earlier trip of running the motorhome and dune buggy down there. Just picked up liability for the boat. Cleared at Cabo, so wasn't non-stop, but close. Subtracted the time spent at Cabo and Love Beach from my running time.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:55   #111

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post

Poor Ram, I guess it realy IS tough having a cat.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:08   #112

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
One really Bad thing about most cats is that there unsinkable so if I want to ever collect on a bogus insurance claim by making her sink I can’t do it ...
They do burn though -- just be sure and set both hulls alight in very deep water -- and then she will sink!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:15   #113

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

wouldn't it be suspicious of both hulls caught fire at the same time?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:25   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
wouldn't it be suspicious of both hulls caught fire at the same time?
flames spread quickly in a rolling sea, it is the craziest thing.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:31   #115
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Anyone here familiar with the form of pollution known as smug? It's thick in here...

Old 12-03-2012, 12:35   #116
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I think what bilge keel boy was alluding to Brian is that you had an issue at Broughton Island. The fact that your issue was irrelevant to the discussion and his comment was rude seems to be par for the course
I must confess that I only alluded to his "issue" (as you call wrecking his boat) because he kinda ommitted that bit from his tale of brain free voyaging............and, yes, I would have said the same if he had been aboard a mono - the only difference is that I would not have needed to add this clarification if the thread was not on Planet Multihull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I just sailed my Gemini 105 MC across 3 oceans single handed and not once did I feel unsafe in her, And I had some very scary moments with the bad weather...........

.........And in the worst storm, I can still put my coffee down and it will stay there where I put it..........

..........My Gem drives it self, so I just sit back and enjoy the trip. or sleep.
Wrecking a boat from dumb arsed decisions based on wishful thinking may be considered a succesful completion of a voyage in upside-down-land - but not everywhere, get used to it ....I would have thought acheiving the status of wreck a pertinent fact to mention (allude to? ) whilst blowing smoke up own ass.

Ooopps....I will probably get another whining PM .
Old 12-03-2012, 12:41   #117

so to us neophytes that know slightly less than nothing, you are saying that the Gemini 105Mc cannot sail on its own - under autopilot - for a time, even if relatively brief, say 20-30 minutes?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:58   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But to get back to OP's question ......one of the cons that you don't have to experiance from Multihull ownership is being insecure and humourless. A lobotomy is also optional, despite what the brochure / salesman may suggest. But seeing as most of my experiance of Multihull owners is on CF I can't testify to this from first hand knowledge.
As far as I can see you really can't testify to much from first hand knowledge. Ever actually been sailing?
Old 12-03-2012, 13:05   #119

Biggest negative to owning a catamaran - you WILL at times have to put up with absolute, uninformed rubbish from self styled "experts" who have never set foot on a multihull.
Old 12-03-2012, 13:19   #120

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Biggest negative to owning a catamaran - you WILL at times have to put up with absolute, uninformed rubbish from self styled "experts" who have never set foot on a multihull.
Well, I really like your boat. Nice pics on your page. Do you have just one board? And what's the weight?.

Tags
catamaran