Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 08:30   #1

The best cat charter in the Carribean - probably

If you are a mono-hull owner curious about catamarans, a cat owner considering a new/bigger beautiful blue water cat, never sailed before and want to be comfortable and feel safe, fancy a chartering a cat in the Caribbean but with little experience - THEN - may I suggest that you contact Mike of 'Jeannius' and his fanstatic Privilege 435 at Home .

If you are thinking that I am associated with Mike, you are wrong, I have just got back to the UK having spent 5 days on Jeannius in St.Lucia and if you are any of the people I have described in para 1, then go sailing with Mike as your skipper.

Mike is a very amiable and easy going guy with a wealth of experience in sailing (full commercial ticket) and great knowledge of the Carribean.

The boat is very comfortable with 4 double ensuite cabins, sails very well and has a smooth easy going motion.

It was probably the most relaxing holiday I have ever had, many thanks Mike.

Cheers
Ian
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:04   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Ian, thanks for update on your vacation and the glowing recommendation. I'll be sure to pass it on to some other 'cat curious' types. Did it change any of your perceptions/wish lists concerning a cruising cat?

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Ian, thanks for update on your vacation and the glowing recommendation. I'll be sure to pass it on to some other 'cat curious' types. Did it change any of your perceptions/wish lists concerning a cruising cat?

Brad
Hi Brad

In answer to your question yes it did, the Privilege is a very well made cat and as we know more pricey than others, what I have decided that the most important factor for cruising is not to be the fastest cat, speed within reason is immaterial, to go in excess of 14/15 knots (not surfing) would not be relaxing or the idea of cruising, so all the hype about having the fastest cat is unnecessary.

Safety and comfort are the most important, whether steering from behind the saloon bulkhead or on the stern quarters, whether you want mini keels or dagger boards are purely personal preferences, but for cruising get the boat that you can afford, but which is safe and comfortable and that you feel comfortable handling, is the way to go, so try as many as possible within your price range before buying.

But also remember a good bridge deck clearance I think is a very important factor and goes a long way to safety and comfort.

So I have decided on a new Privilege 745 at about $5million......................................... .................................................. .... Only Joking - it would be far to big for 2 people and my darling wife would kill me, even if she thought I had even considered spending that much.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 13:48   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Ireaney, there is of course no 'correct' answer to the question, but it sounds as if you have decided upon the compromise that best suits you; for what its worth, I tend to agree with your analysis. For those with unlimited budgets, it is possible to come close to the performance/comfort paradigm; for the rest of us, we will likely be forced into a compromise on everything except safety and comfort, presumably in that order (and to me, safety includes the ability to claw off a lee shore and to tack positively in all wind conditions).

Bridgedeck clearance is certainly a factor in both comfort and safety, although it is far more complicated than static measurements. For that reason as well as many others, your proposal to 'try before you buy' is of critical importance. Good luck and keep us posted with reviews of the cats on which you have sailed.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote