Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2020, 05:07   #91

Re: Storm damaged Bahamas Leopards – Warning

Also keep in mind that Colin is very experienced in the systems of yachts, so the average Joe may have a much larger expense ahead of them.

I have watched Parlay since the beginning and I remember him saying that once all the costs were in he was not too far off from what a used non-damaged 450 would sell for in today's market.

I also reached out to the owner of Intel Marine and he sent me quite a few pictures of the boats he had in stock. I can see where this could turn into a huge money pit.
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:56   #92

Keep in mind that Intel bought these as salvage boats, The Moorings (and others) after the storm had all boats surveyed for damage and if repair exceeded the hull value they were marked totaled and not repairable, the others were repaired by techs from all over the world, the Moorings has a great video of this process:

now the boats that were totaled and salvage company (and Intel) bid on them, half ass repair so they float and then try to sell them as good to go to unsuspecting buyers, you will never be able to finance these as you will never be able to insure them so all cash deals and they look VERY rough and lets not forget about the mold where you will never be able to reach or clean and then all electrical, engines damaged by sea water....... ��
tm8545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 05:51   #93

Boat: Leopard 48 2016

I bought one, a 48. There is one 48 left. 5 power cats and 2 monohulls.
Don’t do it! It is not worth the savings.

In Summary, Lies, unkept promises, contractual agreements not met, outright FRAUD, 2 1/2 months after delivery, I don’t have paperwork that I can use to register with USCG.

I am willing to talk off line with anyone regarding my experience.
Lpfent@me.com.
pfatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 17:42   #94

I purchased a catamaran from them and it was a great experience. Everything he told us was exactly as it was when we arrived with our surveyor. Even our surveyor was shocked at how little damage some of the vessels had. He also gave us lots of free parts and guided us to the best sources to obtain parts. We got a great boat at a great price and didn't have any issues with Intel marine. in addition our boat is worth at least $100k more than what it cost us. For those of you looking to get a bargain, they are out there and do require lots of work but it paid off for us in the end.
boatbuilder101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 17:49   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
If intel marine is who i think it is, and i think it is. They have quite the reputation here for being unscrupulious. Unconcionably Selling boats thats should have been crushed. Your brokers advice is good. If it smells fishy, it probably stinks...
I purchased a catamaran from them and it was a great experience. Everything he told us was exactly as it was when we arrived with our surveyor. Even our surveyor was shocked at how little damage some of the vessels had. He also gave us lots of free parts and guided us to the best sources to obtain parts. We got a great boat at a great price and didn't have any issues with Intel marine. in addition our boat is worth at least $100k more than what it cost us. For those of you looking to get a bargain, they are out there and do require lots of work but it paid off for us in the end.
Old 14-11-2021, 17:53   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfatcat View Post
I bought one, a 48. There is one 48 left. 5 power cats and 2 monohulls.
Don’t do it! It is not worth the savings.

In Summary, Lies, unkept promises, contractual agreements not met, outright FRAUD, 2 1/2 months after delivery, I don’t have paperwork that I can use to register with USCG.

I am willing to talk off line with anyone regarding my experience.
Lpfent@me.com.
We all heard that you took parts from the other boats without permission. We got our paperwork and all of the other buyers that we know also did. We also bought a Leopard 48.
Old 14-11-2021, 17:59   #97

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Sorry for the late reply. Was told by a Bahamian resident that at least some of the Moorings fleet was hauled out at Waters Cay, Red Bay. We were last there in June of this year and there are still a few wrecked boats there. Story goes that shortly after Dorian, guys with chain saws and pickup trucks cut the hulls open to steal the generators. Be wary!
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 23:53   #98

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbuilder101 View Post
You know if it paid off when you sell. Personally I would not touch a hurricane damaged boat that has been repaired by amateurs.i know many others think the same, and that makes resale a gamble.

I guess this guy still has a few left to sell? Otherwise I can't see why you join now to post your 'experience'. Maybe I'm wrong but this smells fishy.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 02:24   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, boatbuilder101.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 03:59   #100

I looked at YW and of course Intel Marine still has hurricane damaged boats for sale in the Bahamas - years after the storm.

And just reduced 2 weeks ago! Buyer beware...
Old 15-11-2021, 08:44   #101

Seems like you have something against them rather than knowing anything about the boats. I posted this to let others who were contemplating buying a storm damaged boat to look at things more objectively and make decisions accordingly. Most everything on these threads is not true and would have lead us to believe it had we not called and gone out to see for ourselves.
Old 15-11-2021, 08:45   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
You know if it paid off when you sell. Personally I would not touch a hurricane damaged boat that has been repaired by amateurs.i know many others think the same, and that makes resale a gamble.

I guess this guy still has a few left to sell? Otherwise I can't see why you join now to post your 'experience'. Maybe I'm wrong but this smells fishy.
Seems like you have something against them rather than knowing anything about the boats. I posted this to let others who were contemplating buying a storm damaged boat to look at things more objectively and make decisions accordingly. Most everything on these threads is not true and would have lead us to believe it had we not called and gone out to see for ourselves
Old 15-11-2021, 09:21   #103

Quote:
Seems like you have something against them rather than knowing anything about the boats. I posted this to let others who were contemplating buying a storm damaged boat to look at things more objectively and make decisions accordingly. Most everything on these threads is not true and would have lead us to believe it had we not called and gone out to see for ourselves.

I get suspicious if someone joins a forum just to post oozing praise for a broker of totalled boats. A broker who not only sells boats with shockingly little damage far below market value but also helps source parts and gives away stuff for free.
Sounds more like a social worker than a broker.

If somethings sounds too good to be true ...
Old 15-11-2021, 10:10   #104

Quote:
Seems like you have something against them rather than knowing anything about the boats. I posted this to let others who were contemplating buying a storm damaged boat to look at things more objectively and make decisions accordingly. Most everything on these threads is not true and would have lead us to believe it had we not called and gone out to see for ourselves
So you show up here having never contributed anything to the forum, with your only posts being repeatedly double posting what sound like paid testimonials for wrecked boat sellers that have nothing in common with literally every single other person who has posted on this topic. People with long histories of posting useful information, not sock puppets who just show up out of nowhere. Forgive us all for dismissing you as a paid shill. If that's not what you are, you need to do a lot better job contributing before jumping in with this kind of content.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 10:28   #105

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Don't own a cat. Don't want to buy one. Just browsing this thread for knowledge.

My BS detector went wild at reading a couple of these posters. Really, you aren't smart enough to make a couple of random posts before you make a misleading pitch on some broken boats?
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, leopard