Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2019, 17:46   #1

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Shopping for a Cat

I'm now actively searching for a good sailing cat in the $200,000-$300,000 range.

In practice it will spend much of its time on the Gulf coast, but like most, I have dreams of a Caribbean trip, or even a once cross over to the Med.

There are several on the market in that price range some small (38) even less than 10 years old.

So far I like the interior of Fountaine Pajot, the layout of the Leopard, and the rigging of the Lagoon, and the price of Nauititech.

I really need AC, and Gen, and cant live without a walk in shower.

SO far not impressed with charter boats, which are most on the market.

Owners cabin with full sized bathroom is pretty much not optional.

Heavy, slow, and comfortable in bumpy seas is better than getting the last tenth of a knot of performance. My opinion is upwind performance is what the engines are for. ( I am coming from a power boat).

My sailing ability is a solid 4 out of 10.

Any suggestions are helpful.

PS anyone buying a new boat, and need to unload a well used cat?
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 07:05   #2

Re: Shopping for a Cat

Almost everyone out there is looking for that same boat, lol! I have been keeping my eye on the market as well and to click all those boxes will be priced in the upper levels.
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 07:14   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

The PDQ line may fit your needs.

As far as FP, Lagoon, etc- at that price point you will find MAJOR project boats, or former charter boats that are used-up.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 08:50   #4

Boat: None

Consider a Privilege as well. They beat all the others in the context of outdoor cockpit space. Ours is like a dance floor! We put directors' chairs out and still had plenty of room to walk around. They are rock solid, high-end boats, and they sail pretty well also.

disclaimer: ours is for sale

Ours is an owner's version with a brand new diesel generator and brand new Mack sails, among other things, so it is a good value.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 11:08   #5

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

About a month too late or I would have had the perfect boat for you. I just sold my 2015 Liapri 41 that we kept in Kemah so that we could upsize. Sounds as if it checked each of your boxes except the budget. ( Although it wasn't that much over your max.) I will shoot you a PM with some contacts that may be able to help find you what you are looking for.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 15:21   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
The PDQ line may fit your needs.

As far as FP, Lagoon, etc- at that price point you will find MAJOR project boats, or former charter boats that are used-up.

FP Belize Maestros are generally advertised at under $300K but you have to be constantly looking because they generally sell very quickly.

Here's one that is worth looking at.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...estro-3596732/
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 18:02   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post
Almost everyone out there is looking for that same boat, lol! I have been keeping my eye on the market as well and to click all those boxes will be priced in the upper levels.
NO, some people actually are looking for boats that sail.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 02:17   #8

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I'm now actively searching for a good sailing cat in the $200,000-$300,000 range.

In practice it will spend much of its time on the Gulf coast, but like most, I have dreams of a Caribbean trip, or even a once cross over to the Med.

There are several on the market in that price range some small (38) even less than 10 years old.

So far I like the interior of Fountaine Pajot, the layout of the Leopard, and the rigging of the Lagoon, and the price of Nauititech.

I really need AC, and Gen, and cant live without a walk in shower.

SO far not impressed with charter boats, which are most on the market.

Owners cabin with full sized bathroom is pretty much not optional.

Heavy, slow, and comfortable in bumpy seas is better than getting the last tenth of a knot of performance. My opinion is upwind performance is what the engines are for. ( I am coming from a power boat).

My sailing ability is a solid 4 out of 10.

Any suggestions are helpful.

PS anyone buying a new boat, and need to unload a well used cat?
Bill, i think you should as well focus on the many charter boats that are in the market right now.
There are many that suits your price range, especially in the Mediteranean and the Caribic.

In the Med there are quite a few Lagoon 380´s, 39´s and Lagoon 400´s. Moorings and Sunsail offering their 4-5 year old Leopards in the same price range in the Caribean.

Shure, 90% 4 Cabin versions. But you even can find a few owners versions.

Ruling those boats out might make you miss a good deal...

Good luck on your search.

John.
Old 25-10-2019, 03:44   #9

Boat: Crowther 54 MkIV

Hi, looks like you have a clear view as to what you what you want to find inside your boat. Have you tried sailing FP and/or Lagoon? And then try to find a heavier, maybe an older design and see what suits best for your plans.
In a heavy weather I am happier in a heavier boat. Also, the mini keels you will find in FPs and Lagoons etc. are not my favorites. See if you can try to sail a couple of different designs. The interior of a cat (or any boat) can be rebuilt but there is not much you can do with the hull and rig design...
Cheers
Paws-on-Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 06:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
NO, some people actually are looking for boats that sail.
So you just respond to crap on what others choose to own? I would think FP's, Lagoon's, and Leopard's seem to do pretty well considering their market share.

They all sail, some better than other's...
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 09:39   #11

Boat: FP Orana 44

There’s a Privilege 47 next to us for sale in your price range. You can’t beat the build quality of a PrivIlege. I think it’s listed on Multihull Company in N.C.
cjbouldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 15:58   #12

Boat: 2000 Leopard 45

My best advice from somebody was check out a smaller market for the really good deals. I got a 45 leopard less than 200k, , solid hull, all new above deck , and less that 200. needed about 30k upgrades, AC etc, but same boat in Miami, or on yachtworld was 100k more, and not in as good condition. The older hulls are smaller, or not as tall but damn, they sail so much better and faster. FP have big osmosis problems, so beware. Whats your budget, because the new ones are fantastic, just dont sail so well.
benfairn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shopping