Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2011, 12:54   #76

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20 S&S ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to sailinlee
Re: Sailing Alone

It's definitely doable!!! I solo on my 1974 ketch all the time. Get a good auto pilot and learn your weather!!! Read, listen, sail and learn. You're young!!! Just get as much experience as you can while you're saving your pennies. You've got plenty of time. Good luck.
sailinlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:24   #77

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysnell View Post
I have every interest in sailing the world and never looking back. I am looking to go to kingspoint marine maritime and from there ill make myself enough and buy my boat and off i go. However i would like to sail alone, but on a vessel large enough to do what i want i have some doubts. I will do it and ill find a way because i want to do this more than anything else. I remember scanning the internet for catamarans and i came across something that said it had a type of rigging that you could control completely from the helm. Has anybody heard of this, or another possibility? My heart is set on a catamaran or trimaran but mostly catamarans.
Guysnel....you may just be the type of person who could click right into the design philosophies of James Warram. Warram was clever enough to recognize that the original designers of polynesian boats had developed a wealth of knowledge and tradition for building boats that incorporate safe, proven and brilliant design features.

find the plans for on of his open deck polynesian cats. You and a friend with a skill saw and some plywood can build a boat that can take you around the world with safety, simplicity and with the ability to rebuild and rework your boat all all along the way. forget this notion of trying to buy some complicated heavy, expensive floating condominium barge with marble counter tops....... Build a Wharram cat ,and keep it simple. Pahi 31 Self-build Boat Plans | James Wharram Designs then find a friend, throw two sleeping bags down below ( make sure they are configured to zip together to save on heat) Go to the the library and check out a book on how to sail, read it for about thirty minutes then just go sailing. Wear a life saver and keep a fully charged iphone in a water tight case and just go for it. print out a sail plan with your estimated times and dates to a few destinations and file it at the local police and give a copy of it to a few or your friends and family and just go for it. It's the only way to learn.
vientoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 19:23   #78

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Re: sailing alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysnell View Post
Im 16 years old, im a junior in high school and i live in the florida keys. Im a an artist who has traveled the world painting with wyland and guy harvey, some of the most acclaimed marine artists in the world. Everything about me is revolved around the ocean. I have never sailed before, but i had never painted before in my life when i was 10 and in 6 years I have my own business, ive traveled to bejing china to paint for the olympics with wyland, among other things and ive made quite a name for myself and am proud of what i have done. If i want to learn how to do something then i will. But i know what i want to do and thats this. I came here for help, not to feel like an idiot. So if wouldnt mind helping, i think i can follow along with what your saying.
At your age, you should be seeking adventure and I commend you. I agree where there's a will there's a way.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 06:25   #79

Boat: Seawind - 1160

Guysnell,

I had the same dream many years ago. I apllied to Kings Point, gained admission, joined the sailing team. By spring of my 1st year I was captain of a 30' Shield sloop. KP was a great experience that gave my a chance to see many foreign countries. At 57 I finally bought my cat and sailed off to the islands. Just finished 4 years of living aboard.

It can be done.
Double-Wide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing