Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2015, 13:09   #46

Boat: St Francis 50
Re: Saba 50 vs Antares

Heath68,
I had to smile at your comment - being an Antares 44 and a Morgan Plus 8 owner :-)
Paul

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 13:45   #47

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalysis View Post
Heath68,
I had to smile at your comment - being an Antares 44 and a Morgan Plus 8 owner :-)
Paul

😄 well my wife thinks I like less mainstream makes anyway.. And Ted Clements does seem to talk a lot of sense.

Sand crab and others mentioned a few models I've looked at but the only one I've not discounted was his suggestion of a Catana.. A new 53 model looks promising but not much info on it.

So many things to think about..
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 14:03   #48

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
A new 53 model looks promising but not much info on it.
Well, you can assume you'll have to adjust to some real sailing helms....

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 14:47   #49

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalysis View Post
2Hulls:
Dave, yes the engines can be removed from the Antares 44s.
The cross beams under the passageways between the aft cabins and the galley(port) and owners head suite (st'bd) are slotted into place. No tools are required to remove all flooring and cross beams you can then disconnect engine and gearbox and lift out.
Paul

Not for the faint of heart, that thing is heavy to manhandle up steps and get it outside.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 14:57   #50

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Not for the faint of heart, that thing is heavy to manhandle up steps and get it outside.
You multi guys are pansies. Mono guys will just put it on their shoulder and carry it up.
Old 13-01-2015, 17:38   #51

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Pictures please!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 04:28   #52
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
I'm very grateful for people's opinions of different cats. I originally fell in love with a Sunreef 58 but an Antares crew member told me he'd sailed a number of Sunreef models and that I'd spend half my time under power.. not what I had invisaged.
Client of mine has decided to order S58 about 2 months ago @ final price of Eur1.5mio. Apart of her heavy+slow profile and high end price tag she is buiilt of cheaper common production boats materials. On top of that full attention to her building process is required to my personal opinion. Therefore she is not really a choice of my next boat.

In case of Eur1.5 mio budget one can build MUCH better cat at significantly less costs, although still in Europe with EC cert. Dear Heath68, I have advised You on 47-feeter earlier. Her bigger 57' sister can be built as well. Please PM if/when details required.

Cordially,
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 11:53   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Client of mine has decided to order S58 about 2 months ago @ final price of Eur1.5mio. Apart of her heavy+slow profile and high end price tag she is buiilt of cheaper common production boats materials. On top of that full attention to her building process is required to my personal opinion. Therefore she is not really a choice of my next boat.

In case of Eur1.5 mio budget one can build MUCH better cat at significantly less costs, although still in Europe with EC cert. Dear Heath68, I have advised You on 47-feeter earlier. Her bigger 57' sister can be built as well. Please PM if/when details required.

Cordially,
Hi Steamer, I tried 3 times to PM but it had a Database error??

I've just noticed where you are based, a beautiful part of the world I have some friends who come from Riva and now live in the UK.

As a newbie I do not think I know enough about Cats or boat design/build to be confident with a purchase of a boat from designs. I therefore have to rely on opinions and comments made by people who have owned and sailed Cats in order to form a semi educated opinion of my own. I will keep an eye on your suggestion and see what reviews they get upon launch.

Thank you for your suggestion

Heath
Old 14-01-2015, 11:57   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
A "Pansie" you may be but I do take your point about the possible need for this... I had always assumed that as a Diesel engine it kinda never broke (car diesel engines do 200k without too much hassle nowadays).

But I just don't know if marine diesels are as reliable??
Old 14-01-2015, 12:09   #55

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I think most of you gathered my pansie comment as a joke which it was. I am a multi guy.
The problem with the marine diesels is that damn saltwater and salty air. They require more maintenance and possible replacement than a car engine.
Old 14-01-2015, 12:21   #56

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
But I just don't know if marine diesels are as reliable??
We can do a crude comparison.

If a car/truck diesel does 200,000 miles with an average speed of, say, 35 miles/hour that's over 5700 hours. (Choose whatever average speed for a car/truck you think is reasonable).

Marine diesels, if cared for, should get that many hours and beyond. But 5000 is a lot.

In both cases overhauls can bring them back to "new-ish" service.

I'm sure there are diesel "experts" who will educate us on this.....

Cue diesel expert in 1,.....2,.....3......................

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 12:55   #57

Boat: O45 ordered

Quote:

I've just noticed where you are based, a beautiful part of the world I have some friends who come from Riva and now live in the UK.

As a newbie I do not think I know enough about Cats or boat design/build to be confident with a purchase of a boat from designs. I therefore have to rely on opinions and comments made by people who have owned and sailed Cats in order to form a semi educated opinion of my own. I will keep an eye on your suggestion and see what reviews they get upon launch.

Thank you for your suggestion

Heath
Heath
I suggest to get a better understanding of the various options you visit a few boat shows, charter some cats and volunteer as crew on your preferred one (in addition to surfing the internet). Not necessary in this sequence.

The best multihull boat show (to my knowledge) is the Salon du Multicoque in the South of France.
Le salon du Multicoque Online | Le salon du multicoque online - Catamarans & Trimarans

From the UK you can fly with a low cost carrier to Marseille and take a rental car to visit La Grande Motte. The new 47 design as referred above (I assume Slyder) is announced to be introduced. Unfortunately they missed Dusseldorf so now I have to go to La Grande Motte this year again.
At least 30 other (most new) cats and tri's are on display.

You can charter the cat that you prefer (most brands are available for charter somewhere in the world) or volunteer to crew on a delivery. I was very interested in an Orana and joined Yeloya (member of the forum) on his Atlantic crossing in 2012. A very good experience that helped me to conclude that I definitely want a cat, but a more performance oriented one. Without this 3700 mile sea trial I would never have known.

And this gives me the excuse to crew a second time but now on a more performence oriented cat

Rob
Multihull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 12:58   #58
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:

Heath
Something wrong with PM, indeed. You can use info (at) olfsail (dot) com instead. Shown 47-ter has today touched the waters of Adriatic. I did try to advise my best within compressed time and messaging frames.We also build cats here in Riga. But this is another story might be of interest to You (!)

Cordially,
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 19:17   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Heath, we have the Helia 44 and with the factory fitted clears you have full helm protection. Also on those hot steamy days the option to remove or fold to enjoy the breeze. Having spent 13 months living aboard and traveling 10000nm, this was across the Bay of Biscay throught to Marmaris, Turkey, back out of the Med to having just crossed the Atlantic to Martinique, I can assure you this is one very comfortable and capable cruising catamaran suited to being managed by a couple. We have completed this adventure without any major problems and as for performance we departed Lanzarote, in the Canaries with 33 other boats and we were the first to arrive after 18 days and with no breakages or damage to gear. The majority of the other boats arrived five to seven days later!
Regards Gordon
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 19:42   #60

Well I am hoping to see a Helia soon Gordon as that is also on my radar if the saba or other 50+ boats look a bit big. Its not too much of a worry but I do also try and bear in mind landing sites and marina charges with a bigger cat.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
Antares, Saba