Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2015, 23:09   #61
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Saba 50 vs Antares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
we departed Lanzarote, in the Canaries with 33 other boats and we were the first to arrive after 18 days and with no breakages or damage to gear. The majority of the other boats arrived five to seven days later!
Regards Gordon

Congratulations Gordon!! Good to hear you didn't have any problems with the main halyard also. My wife really liked Atila's and your boats. Have fun in the Caribbean.
Old 17-01-2015, 02:22   #62
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
We can do a crude comparison.

If a car/truck diesel does 200,000 miles with an average speed of, say, 35 miles/hour that's over 5700 hours. (Choose whatever average speed for a car/truck you think is reasonable).

Marine diesels, if cared for, should get that many hours and beyond. But 5000 is a lot.

In both cases overhauls can bring them back to "new-ish" service.

I'm sure there are diesel "experts" who will educate us on this.....

Cue diesel expert in 1,.....2,.....3......................

2 Hulls Dave
Hi Dave,

As you can imagine the charter boat engines are more subject to abuse and are overused. And yet we have many boats with over 10.000 hours engines running perfectly. Yes, they do require more and careful maintenance, ie. keep clean the heat exchanger, change the oil and the impeller with regular intervals and use the clean fuel. That's it..We also dismantle and clean the sail drives each winter.

We usually have more problems with the transmission, sail drive and the gas lever cable rather than the engine itself...

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 02:38   #63
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihull View Post
You can charter the cat that you prefer (most brands are available for charter somewhere in the world) or volunteer to crew on a delivery. I was very interested in an Orana and joined Yeloya (member of the forum) on his Atlantic crossing in 2012. A very good experience that helped me to conclude that I definitely want a cat, but a more performance oriented one. Without this 3700 mile sea trial I would never have known.

And this gives me the excuse to crew a second time but now on a more performence oriented cat

Rob
Hi Rob,

We did the crossing with you averaging 185 nm/day with an Orana and you are still complaining..

I too am in the process of searching a bit faster cat and if I can get one, you are more than welcome for another trial.

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 17-01-2015, 03:56   #64

Boat: Lightwave 45

Quote:

You can charter the cat that you
prefer (most brands are available for charter somewhere in the world) or
volunteer to crew on a delivery. I was very
interested in an Orana and joined Yeloya
(member of the forum) on his Atlantic crossing in 2012. A
very good experience that helped me to conclude that I definitely want a cat,
but a more performance oriented one. Without this 3700 mile sea trial I would
never have known.

And this gives me the excuse to crew a second time
but now on a more performence oriented cat
One assumes that you also concluded that you will not get the comfort of the Orana on a performance cat also, unless you go for a significantly bigger boat.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 07:38   #65

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihull View Post
Heath
I suggest to get a better understanding of the various options you visit a few boat shows, charter some cats and volunteer as crew on your preferred one (in addition to surfing the internet). Not necessary in this sequence.

The best multihull boat show (to my knowledge) is the Salon du Multicoque in the South of France.
Le salon du Multicoque Online | Le salon du multicoque online - Catamarans & Trimarans

From the UK you can fly with a low cost carrier to Marseille and take a rental car to visit La Grande Motte. The new 47 design as referred above (I assume Slyder) is announced to be introduced. Unfortunately they missed Dusseldorf so now I have to go to La Grande Motte this year again.
At least 30 other (most new) cats and tri's are on display.

You can charter the cat that you prefer (most brands are available for charter somewhere in the world) or volunteer to crew on a delivery. I was very interested in an Orana and joined Yeloya (member of the forum) on his Atlantic crossing in 2012. A very good experience that helped me to conclude that I definitely want a cat, but a more performance oriented one. Without this 3700 mile sea trial I would never have known.

And this gives me the excuse to crew a second time but now on a more performence oriented cat

Rob
Thanks Rob. I'll definitely go in April. Yes both of us are planning to charter in about April May and probably in the Med... just need to find a charter company that's not too much money.
I am also thinking of joining a sailing site to offer my crewing services to get some more experience
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 08:59   #66

How does the Admiral 50 compare to the Lagoon and other cats its size in sailing, construction, finish, etc?
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 01:37   #67

Boat: O45 ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
One assumes that you also concluded that you will not get the comfort of the Orana on a performance cat also, unless you go for a significantly bigger boat.
cwjohm

I learned primarily to conclude on real life experiences instead of internet and boat shows.
I have been on a Catana 47 and an Outremer 49/51. They are a bit longer (not bigger I would say) and both have less but imo enough room for two persons.
But without a significant sea trial (another crossing) I will wait with a conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
I too am in the process of searching a bit faster cat and if I can get one, you are more than welcome for another trial.
Yeloya
I will take your offer (if you have the right boat).
Cheers Rob
Multihull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 02:15   #68
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
.... as for performance we departed Lanzarote, in the Canaries with 33 other boats and we were the first to arrive after 18 days and with no breakages or damage to gear. The majority of the other boats arrived five to seven days later!
Regards Gordon
Can proudly announce that in 2014 13.7meters Lerouge designed / Latvia built cat arrived first (see Multihuills Division on page 6 of total 7 below)

https://www.worldcruising.com/conten...20Division.pdf
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 02:42   #69
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Different rally steamer
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 03:50   #70
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Different rally steamer
Do not mind our built cat to be No.1 in any other crossing !
Old 18-01-2015, 04:36   #71
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Can proudly announce that in 2014 13.7meters Lerouge designed / Latvia built cat arrived first (see Multihuills Division on page 6 of total 7 below)

https://www.worldcruising.com/conten...20Division.pdf

I know what boat are you talking about, but this is a completely different proposition to Helia. Helia will never ever be as fast, but will have superior pay load, offer much more space and will cost 25-30 % cheaper.
I am not saying by any means that it's worse than Helia, just a different boat for different audiance..

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 18-01-2015, 06:06   #72
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
I know what boat are you talking about, but this is a completely different proposition to Helia. Helia will never ever be as fast, but will have superior pay load, offer much more space and will cost 25-30 % cheaper.
I am not saying by any means that it's worse than Helia, just a different boat for different audiance..

Cheers

Yeloya
Absolutely agree, Yeloya, the boats are different. But I have big doubts new Helia price is 30% down compared to the boat I am talking about and expect they are priced more/less equally.

Cordially,
Old 18-01-2015, 13:26   #73

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

I've been reading a few threads in cruisersforum and think I'm understanding a lot about different models and their advantages... have extended our long weekend in March to include a look around Nautitech as well following entries here.
One thing I was alluded to was the place of registration... is it significantly cheaper to register a boat in a particular place? .. and this is probably very lame but something I don't know.. as a new owner of a 2nd hand boat do I need to re-register it (like you would a car)? do you normally get chance to rename it at this point? .. sorry.. daft questions from a newbie :-)
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 17:58   #74

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
How does the Admiral 50 compare to the Lagoon and other cats its size in sailing, construction, finish, etc?
Admiral has had some very public structural issues with the smaller cats.
That one for sale in Tampa was sold about a year or 2 ago. It was on the market for a couple of years. The price kept coming down and I think it went for about $300K. That's all I know.

FWIW just about all the cats have had issues.
The ones that have had very little issues are Seawind, Maine Cat, Manta, and Outremer.

The ones with more issues are Dean, Admiral and Maverick.

The middle ground has Leopard, Catana and Voyage near the top end and FP and Lagoon near the bottom.
Old 18-01-2015, 18:05   #75

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
I've been reading a few threads in cruisersforum and think I'm understanding a lot about different models and their advantages... have extended our long weekend in March to include a look around Nautitech as well following entries here.
One thing I was alluded to was the place of registration... is it significantly cheaper to register a boat in a particular place? .. and this is probably very lame but something I don't know.. as a new owner of a 2nd hand boat do I need to re-register it (like you would a car)? do you normally get chance to rename it at this point? .. sorry.. daft questions from a newbie :-)
That depends on where you want to sail it and the VAT if any. The BVIs are very easy on registering. People here have discussed Malta, Guensey and Jersey. If you are going to have it in the UK then seems like that's where you want to do it. VAT will become an issue in Europe. The US is technically just for citizens but you can get around it.

Boat brokers do international transactions all the time. Some have their own documentation people.

Tags
Antares, Saba