Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 18:04   #226

Re: S/V Delos discusses mono vs. cat with cruising couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Well I learn't something. A "mottled" underwater surface "gives you better grip on the water".
Nonskid isn't just for decks any more.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 18:44   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
It's great that you enjoyed the video, and fine that you don't want to discuss it.

Maybe other people do want to discuss it. Why should that bother you in any way? If you don't want to read the discussion, simply don't read it.
Where did I say I was against discussion. I just said I don't like all the nit picking. OK. Now you can get back to piling onto the Delos guys. And I thought I had too much time in my hand.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 20:03   #228

Quote:
Well I learn't something. A "mottled" underwater surface "gives you better grip on the water".
Go ahead and fire up the Google machine, but do you know who Christian Williams is?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 20:16   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Where did I say I was against discussion. I just said I don't like all the nit picking. OK. Now you can get back to piling onto the Delos guys. And I thought I had too much time in my hand.
I got a little chuckle out of that. I'm not nit picking, just wanted to point out that the correct phrase is "too much time on my hands."

Thanks for the chuckle!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:34   #230

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
in my case different reasons. me and my wife have seriously considered 40 to 50 ft mono but decided against for the following reasons:
1. vertical windows due to sun protection
2. covered cockpit - same reason
3. there is always shade on cat
4. seasickness - my wife quite prone - cured on our cat
5. forward net - nothing nicer than having gourmet lunch while sailing or sleeping in anchorage on summer night
6. view from panoramic windows in hulls and common area. one does not need to stand up.

Space was not decisive, although we do not mind.
Seasickness can be worse or better on a cat depending of what type of movements contributes more to your seasickness, the bigger but softer movements of a monohull or the jerkier but smaller movements of a cat. There are people more sensible to one or another and I am happy your wife goes better with the cat movements.

The skipper of the Barramundi on the interview says that he will consider a trimaran for the next boat (or a monohull) because he says (or hopes) the movements are more similar to the ones of a monohull and that is better to him regarding seasickness.

Regarding the sun I guess it depends on where you sail but if on the med or Caribbean those large windows of a cat, that provide a view, will also let in a lot of heat. That is not by accident that on the Barramundi interviews almost all windows are covered from the outside with some sort of covers to not let the sun in.

Most cats I see on the med have the windows covered not to let the sun in.

Vertical windows is a bit better but will only diminish the problem. Me and my wife though for a while in having a deck saloon boat but we give up on the idea due to where we wanted to sail. It is not by accident that in Europe almost all brands that make decksallons are from the North of Europe where getting all the sun one can get makes all the sense.

I agree about the shade and the place to have solar panels. The shade on monohulls has to be provided by biminis an an arch has to be incorporated for solar panels while all space needed comes "standard" on most cats.

I like to be outside almost all the time, since i don't sail in cold climates or in the winter but when it is raining or cold being able to steer the boat from the interior is a nice thing but if that is provided by cats it can also be obtained with decksaloons, pilot house boats or even with boats like RM or Allures among others.

Not criticizing your choice, that I am sure it is the right one for you, just showing that you can have the same things on a mono...except space, unless you have a bigger mono. It is just a personal choice really.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:57   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
One person's discussion may be another's nit-picking.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 13:12   #232
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Seasickness can be worse or better on a cat .
How do you know, you persistently refuse to indicate which if any multihulls you have sailed on. Or are you relying on the internet for your information.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 13:26   #233
cruiser

I think he's relying on the information provided by the multi hull owners in the videos. I've also heard the some from cat owners we know. Different folks respond in different ways to the motion of a boat or various kinds of boats. Myself, I find the motion of a trawler to be quite nauseating. The Cat owners in the video describe the phenomenon quite well.

Have you watched both videos?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 13:44   #234
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I think he's relying on the information provided by the multi hull owners in the videos. I've also heard the some from cat owners we know. Different folks respond in different ways to the motion of a boat or various kinds of boats. Myself, I find the motion of a trawler to be quite nauseating. The Cat owners in the video describe the phenomenon quite well.

Have you watched both videos?
Yep. I am starting to understand that everything he knows about multis has been gained from the internet. That may be a good source for some, not me. I am struggling to understand why the thoughts and views of people who have actually sailed thousands of miles on multis is less reliable than what someone told someone on the internet. He speaks with authority on a subject he has yet, apparently, to personally experience.

I am reminded of the adage: Those that can do, those that can't criticise.
Old 06-02-2016, 13:51   #235
cruiser

Quote:
Yep. I am starting to understand that everything he knows about multis has been gained from the internet. That may be a good source for some, not me. I am struggling to understand why the thoughts and views of people who have actually sailed thousands of miles on multis is less reliable than what someone told someone on the internet. He speaks with authority on a subject he has yet, apparently, to personally experience.

He's not criticizing anything or anybody. The people in the video are Catamaran owners, so the information regarding seasickness is their opinion as actual Cat owners and former owners of a monohull.

Who better to ask? Than a couple with extensive cruising experience on both kinds of boats.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 14:01   #236
Marine Service Provider

I am reasonably confident that 80% or better of Multi Sailors were once mono sailors.(I read this on the internet - it must be correct) I know I was, I know that the single thing that finally convinced me to make the move 30 years ago was 5 days doing a down wind passage on my 28ft mono and suffering the incessant death rolls in any sort of sea.
Old 06-02-2016, 14:08   #237

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
I am reasonably confident that 80% or better of Multi Sailors were once mono sailors.(I read this on the internet - it must be correct) I know I was, I know that the single thing that finally convinced me to make the move 30 years ago was 5 days doing a down wind passage on my 28ft mono and suffering the incessant death rolls in any sort of sea.
Factor, if you were experiencing 'death rolls' in 'any sort of sea', then there was something seriously wrong with your 28footer

Did it have a keel
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:43   #238

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:

Haha!! That's really funny. Let's just pretend that the only infirmary about cats is s couple videos from Delos.

The videos are of people who have sailed their cats across multiple oceans. One had gone one and a half times around the world.

Now pollux quotes these guys and you get mad that he's just parroting some guy on the Internet. You think we should listen to you instead of some guy on the Internet because of all your real life experience with cats.

But your just some guy on the Internet too!

Chris - SailMentor.com
Old 07-02-2016, 07:49   #239
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Peace CF brothers are we not part of a great sailor community where the spirit of the yachtie reigns. My take on things is, like akways realistic, what purpose you got for your yacht. I get a multihull anytime to live aboard, sail coastal, gunkholing. A monohull, s steel one that is, I would choose for circumnavigation for the somple reason irs steength when hitting hidden objects at sea, they are a headache to maintain though.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:47   #240

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Be a mono cruiser all my life, the first time I vomit it was in a multi in my first multi delivery, Sables D Olone . Martinique, the first 5 miles out of the breakwater in Olone, I remember thinking in turning back to port... 2 days later all fine..
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising