Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2023, 19:20   #1

Robertson Caine Catamaran Dismasted

Hi All, there was a 44’ Robertson Caine that lost its mast on a relatively calm day on the west coast. 5 hour crossing, winds 15 knots gusting slightly on a reach. How is it possible that this could happen? One theory is that the downwind shroud worked loose. The threads are intact, not stripped appearing. A boat sailing nearby heard a lot of rigging noise prior. Has this ever happened before? What are the most likely causes. I was not on the boat. I just done understand how a boat built to cross oceans could lose its mast on a coastal crossing to Catalina.
Mahana Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2023, 20:04   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Robertson Caine Catamaran Dismasted

You ever heard of lack of maintenance?
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 00:56   #3

In response to your questions, yes It’s happened before, my friends lost the mast off a Fontaine Pajot in the coral sea when a shroud toggle broke at the chainplate. Another mast came down in Phuket on the hard stand, the owner rode it to the ground, apparently he somehow undid the forestay at the masthead. The mast was spliced and repaired but a bad swage on a shroud pulled out while in the Red Sea and the mast came down again, this time for keeps. Both of these Cats had 3 wire rigs and one had a rotating mast The owner didn’t survive the ride to the concrete but the second owner survived the dismasting . If a conventionally rigged cruising yacht (uppers,lowers forestay and backstays) loses a shroud or a stay she MIGHT not lose the rig but sure as hell, a 3 wire rig that loses a stay or a shroud is going to see the mast in the water before you can blink.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 01:27   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

If you don’t pay attention to maintaining a boat, it will systematically disassemble itself without any user input.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 03:53   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The general rule on cruising boats is S**t Happens. If something can break, wear out, fail it will. But, the #1 culprit in an accident like this is often recent work done on the boat and someone forgot to replace a cotter pin, or reattached something improperly. This is one reason I love having mast steps on my current boat. I can easily climb to the top and visually survey every attachment.
Old 20-10-2023, 04:31   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahana Kai View Post
Hi All, there was a 44’ Robertson Caine that lost its mast on a relatively calm day on the west coast. 5 hour crossing, winds 15 knots gusting slightly on a reach. How is it possible that this could happen? One theory is that the downwind shroud worked loose. The threads are intact, not stripped appearing. A boat sailing nearby heard a lot of rigging noise prior. Has this ever happened before? What are the most likely causes. I was not on the boat. I just done understand how a boat built to cross oceans could lose its mast on a coastal crossing to Catalina.
Over the years I have moved a fair number of used cats. Prior to signing the contract, the owner must provide a current survey. I would estimate 50%, or more, of the surveys report damage to a shroud.

The frequency of the defect makes one ask "WHY?". There are three logical answers
  1. Defective materials- but if that was the case we would see more failures.
  2. Undersized wire- once again, we would see more failures.
  3. Operator error- Every catamaran I have moved had specifications from the manufacturer of when to reef. If the boat is regularly sailed with more sail than the manufacturer specifies, it would yield the results I have seen.

Keep in mind with only 3 wires holding the stick up, loading becomes critical. So if the wind is regularly gusting to 20, and the operator fails to have that first reef in- the windward shroud and (depending on AWA) either the leeward shroud, or the forestay are carrying a greater load than the manufacturer designed for.

Bottom line? Anyone buying a used catamaran should get a rigging survey by a professional rigger!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 04:58   #7

Community Sponsor

One interesting anecdotal piece of info... the vast majority of dismasting's seem to happen on reasonably calm days, close to home port... it's like car wrecks, they most often happen close to home. Its just because that's where people sail the most, and dismastings happen because a component fails, or some part is improperly installed and falls out - not necessarily because of higher loads.

The rigging in this case could be 13 years old - and should have been replaced a few years ago.

So many unknowns... I hope nobody was injured. This should be a lesson to all who read about this to get your rigging inspected, and replace it when it's looking questionable, since rigging inspections are simply visual, nobody has Xray vision.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 09:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yacht Rigger View Post
One interesting anecdotal piece of info... the vast majority of dismasting's seem to happen on reasonably calm days, close to home port... it's like car wrecks, they most often happen close to home. Its just because that's where people sail the most, and dismastings happen because a component fails, or some part is improperly installed and falls out - not necessarily because of higher loads.

The rigging in this case could be 13 years old - and should have been replaced a few years ago.

So many unknowns... I hope nobody was injured. This should be a lesson to all who read about this to get your rigging inspected, and replace it when it's looking questionable, since rigging inspections are simply visual, nobody has Xray vision.

Curious - if the boat is a 2016 why would you think the rigging was 13 years old?

I appreciate all of the responses. I am leaning toward maintenance induced failure as there was a survey one year prior and the things appeared to unthread like a locknut or cotter pin wasn’t tightened or installed possibly:
Old 20-10-2023, 10:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
If you don’t pay attention to maintaining a boat, it will systematically disassemble itself without any user input.
I had to lol at this one. When i read this I pictured a cartoon image of my sailboat with a toothy mischievous smile trrying to undo all my hard work while im away, giggling to herself when she manages to completely undo and wreck something.
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 10:08   #10

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Curious - if the boat is a 2016 why would you think the rigging was 13 years old?

I appreciate all of the responses. I am leaning toward maintenance induced failure as there was a survey one year prior and the things appeared to unthread like a locknut or cotter pin wasn’t tightened or installed possibly:
I didn't see the vessel model year in the OP. If it was 2016, much more likely a maintenance failure then, but I've seen cracks in 5 year old rigging before, several times.
Old 20-10-2023, 10:26   #11

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ORCA View Post
I had to lol at this one. When i read this I pictured a cartoon image of my sailboat with a toothy mischievous smile trrying to undo all my hard work while im away, giggling to herself when she manages to completely undo and wreck something.
My father had two common quotes.
"While you are sleeping, your boat is breaking."
And
"Your boat lies awake at night trying to figure out how to get you again tomorrow.”
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 10:43   #12

Quote:

He said "Could". You never provided vessel details in a question about the state of a vessel. Lack of details and broad generalizations (e.g. "West Coast", when it's an international forum and are many 'west coasts' around the world) lead to broad speculation and general statements.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 12:48   #13

Yes sorry about the generalizations. I don’t know what litigation is possible I appreciate the responses and I feel that my questions were answered. Thank you so much everyone!
Old 20-10-2023, 12:56   #14

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

I do not totally rely on a 'professional rigging inspection '- that is for the Insurer. Do take a close look at every part of the rig before each major passage. There are 'tell tale ' signs to see if you have experienced a failure. My guide - strand failure , pin displacement or metal cracks. Not always viz. but what else ?
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 15:26   #15

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
He said "Could". You never provided vessel details in a question about the state of a vessel. Lack of details and broad generalizations (e.g. "West Coast", when it's an international forum and are many 'west coasts' around the world) lead to broad speculation and general statements.
Yeah technically I just assumed the worst, the first 44's came out in 2010.

Tags
catamaran, mast