Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2006, 17:18   #1

Boat: Ensenada 20
Robertson & Caine 3800

There are several M-3800's coming out of Moorings' charter fleet at what look like very reasonable prices, especially compared to Lagoon 380's and some Athena 38's.

Any of you have any experience/knowledge of the 3800 -- strengths, weaknesses, etc. that you'd care to share???

Thanks!!
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 07:03   #2

Boat: PDQ32
Leopard 38

I bought a 1999 Leopard 38 ( Moorings 3800) last spring. The boat sails nicely and is easy to handle. The 42 hp engines are large for this size boat so she motors well. The large fixed props do put a damper on sailing performance however that can be cured by investing in folding props.
The layout of the boat is my view much more user friendly than the others in this size range - nice galley - well laid out cockpit, arch to keep main traveller out of the way, easy access forward, clever dingy lift, etc.
When looking at the ex charter boats the biggest potential expense will be engine rebuild or replacement - engine hours tend to be on the high side. My boat had new engines installed.
Old 14-02-2006, 17:09   #3

Boat: Ensenada 20
Thanks much for the response and info.

Someone mentioned to me that they had an "unpleasant motion," and do not "go to weather well, resulting in a lot of motoring."

Any truth to his assessment?

RE: engine rebuild/replacement, any idea how many hours before needing rebuild/replacement?

Again, thank you!
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 17:56   #4

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Motion

We are all a bit different with our views on motion. You can not trust another persons opinion. Some folks are uncomfortable in catamarans, some in mono hulls, some hate a slow motion others hate a quick motion. The US Navy did the research. Going to windward can also cause differing opinions. A Hobie 16 does not point as high as a Flying Dutchman, but it gets to the windward mark just as quick. If the boat will not point very well and is also slow then that could be a problem. Some folks do not want to put up the amount of sail required to get the job done. This all makes for confusing inputs, but keep asking. Slowly what you need to know trickles through.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 07:10   #5

Boat: PDQ32
cat motion

I think you will find that most cats in this general size range pretty much all have similar motion. The Leopard 38 is a bit heavier than the french boats so I suspect it may have a slightly smoother ride. I certainly find it comfortable.

Windward ability seems fine. Cats suffer from too much windage when competing wind forces dampen speeds to windward - in this regard the Leopard should have the edge over the Lagoons with their less than streamlined profile ( what my wife refers to as the tugboat look).

Engine hours before rebuild are hard to nail down. Depending on how hard they have been run and how well they have been maintained - the concensus of opinion suggests that somewhere in the 4 to 6000 hours range you can expect to have to spend some significant money.
Old 15-02-2006, 08:15   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
A couple years ago, while still deciding on my requirements for my cat, I chartered a Voyage 38 for a week and then a Voyage 44 for the following week.

The difference in the motion and performance of the 2 boats was very significant. I found the 44 to be far better in both respects. I expect the difference in Leopards in these sizes would be comparable to what I experienced with the Voyages.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote