Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2021, 03:15   #16

Re: Questions about working while cruising Bahamas

The service you are accustomed to from USPS will end at the continental US

Shipping in the Bahamas is difficult and slow, and that is for a native who “has a cousin work for Customs” if you take my meaning. Mailboat? Stuff disappears from the govt docks, Munson takes no responsibility, manifests are confused. Best if you have friends in the air biz, get stuff flown in from Ft Lauderdale, nothing is cheap.

And you wanna go about it by competing with the locals in the trades? You might offer to do welding for a local and make friends, that may be an in. That will take time. The Bahamians are very kind but they stay insulated to a fair degree

We all telling you, competing as an expat is not a good idea. The successful ones do work via remote online-type things f.ex. blogs, online retail (have someone in domestic US with stock / ship), consulting, etc
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:11   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV WELDER View Post
.... But, it’s okay, as like I said, I’m not planning on this income, just trying to think of any ways I can make a buck while at anchor.

Okay so here’s another angle, I make some small things that I sell on eBay, and I’d like to continue that. This would mean sending out 2-4 small packages a day. I use Usps, and print my labels etc. so this would be “working” in a foreign country, but not taking away from anyone there. Assuming this would be viewed more favorably, what is the situation with shipping packages Usps or other ways down there?
You do realize, making a buck is making income?

Setting aside the fact that the USPS isn't present in the Bahamas, when you ship packages across borders, you need to document and pay import/export taxes, that paperwork will clue the authorities in that you are doing work in the country.

We work remotely and it's still a bit of a gray area. Only reason we can fly under the radar is because there is no link to the countries economy other than we are physically there. The client is in another country, my company is in another country and the work is related to another country...nothing in the country where I'm sitting and there is nothing physical to ship. The exception where I am working on a project in another country, my company takes care of getting me a work visa.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:22   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Welder.

Yes, you will be stepping on toes and breaking the laws if you hang out a shingle off the side of your boat and do cash repairs for folks; however there are plenty out there doing odd jobs, small jobs, on neighboring boats.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:46   #19

Boat: Boatless

The best suggestion is to base yourself and your boat in Miami. You can work a few months and then cruise the Keys and Bahamas for a few months.

When we cruised we traded skills with other cruisers, there was very little cash transfer. As a doctor I organized three medical evacuations from the Caribbean and I even helped pay the airfare of one ill cruiser…not work as a doctor just helping a fellow cruiser!

In another case I helped organize the local care of a sick cruiser, the next morning her husband was rewiring my ‘top of the mast’ instruments. He just came on the boat and asked, “what needs fixing?”

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
The best suggestion is to base yourself and your boat in Miami. You can work a few months and then cruise the Keys and Bahamas for a few months.
A variation on this...if you can be flexible, up north (Great Lakes/New England) boating tends to be very seasonal.

This might make it easier to find a seasonal job as they often struggle finding quality employees as good ones tend to get stolen away for full time year round jobs. If you can offer good quality work that aligns with their peak demand, they will love it.

As a side benefit, this aligns with hurricane season (June-Nov) when you don't want to be down south on a boat and your insurance may mandate you leave.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:00   #21

You don't mention your nationality so I can't suggest specific Islands, but find an Island which is a territory of your country of citizenship.

Example:

Americans: Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands
Dutch: Aruba, Carcao, Sint Marteen, Bonaire

English require visas to work and stay in the Virgin Islands (to my understanding).

You might have a better chance at employment in those areas. I know a lot of Americans that live and work in St Croix and St Thomas, for example.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 13:43   #22
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

As the Devil requests. Curious to all these sailing blogs that do it for a little income all over the world. Do these bloggers even ask permission in these countries or secure work permits as they film all over these foreign countries? I'm sure there are professional studios in many of these same countries.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 16:02   #23

Boat: C-26

As everyone has pointed out, it is illegal to work while visiting. If you got caught, they would probably give you a warning. Subsequent transgressions could get you fined, jailed, boat confiscated, banned from the country. Something to consider.
That being said, I ran a successful business in the Abacos, Bahamas for 7 years that was totally under the radar. I owned a CSY44 that I kept moored in various harbours in and around Marsh Harbour. I advertised in the US and overseas for captained charters. Since I was only in the country to sail my own boat, there was no way the authorities could know I was earning money and I certainly wasn't stepping on any local toes, just the big charter companies like Hirsch and Moorings. Once I was questioned by Customs as to if I was working because I had so many entry/exit stamps in my passport but I assured them that I was just there on vacation to sail my boat. That was that.
If I ever needed any welding, there were plenty of marinas that offered welding and it was dirt cheap. I had three SS rudder gudgeons for my 23' Spirit welded inside and out at Jack Tar Marina, West End. It took about an hour and it cost about $10. That was in 1980.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 16:35   #24

Boat: Shannon 38

We needed a SS weld when in the Bahamas (actually still do, now stateside, just haven't gotten to it since we're COVID and now hurricane season home-stuck it's no longer urgent.) Didn't know who to contact, so we used an ugly JBweld - DIY. If you had happened to be anchored near and let us know of your skills, we'd have been happy to flow you for doing the job. Thrilled, actually. But I agree with the general sentiment. If you try to hang out a shingle, that will cause problems. And if you don't hang out a shingle, someone like me, not overly sociable, won't know that your and your skills could be of use to shore up my davits.

I haven't been back to the Bahamas since the pandemic chased us home. Guessing the economy is really hurting. If I had the opportunity to hire a Bahamian, I would. Not being judgy, just saying, the locals need the work more than one of us who elects to go cruising. I like your plan to make and send back to the US as your side gig, since it doesn't take a job from a local. But yet -- you might have services that are done that wouldn't be done by locals, my case in point. I was in the Berries, I really don't think there was a welder there.

I know mail from the Bahamas to the States is slow. Actually, haven't tried that since 2012, maybe it's better now? As you say, sending from US territories works. Not fast, but hope your customers are chill.

When I did have SS welding done (on the hard in the yard) the welder's eqt was huge. You can do welding on a boat? Wow, head blown.
Virginia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:55   #25

Boat: Leopard 45

You can operate in any US territories including US Virgin Is. Puerto Rico, Guam. You could probably have some cards made up and dingy around some of the denser bays and hand them out with a courteous "let me know if I can be of any help" You could also offer your professional skills to some of the boat yards or fabrication shops. You are sure to find enough work to keep you from being bored, but making enough to support a lifestyle? Depends on what you lifestyle requires.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 09:54   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
As the Devil requests. Curious to all these sailing blogs that do it for a little income all over the world. Do these bloggers even ask permission in these countries or secure work permits as they film all over these foreign countries? I'm sure there are professional studios in many of these same countries.
Largely, they are illegal but flying under the radar. Usually it's a couple weeks to a month after they shoot the video before the post. They use small cameras that look not to different from tourist cameras. So by the time anyone would take notice and see the video, they are long gone.

Also they really aren't in direct competition with the locals. For the most part, there aren't professional studios in many of these small countries and they aren't pursuing the youtube cruising video market, so they have little interest in turning them in. Much different from the local marina where you are indirect competition doing boat work.
Old 14-06-2021, 07:05   #27

Boat: Four Winns V435

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
The service you are accustomed to from USPS will end at the continental US

Shipping in the Bahamas is difficult and slow, and that is for a native who “has a cousin work for Customs” if you take my meaning. Mailboat? Stuff disappears from the govt docks, Munson takes no responsibility, manifests are confused. Best if you have friends in the air biz, get stuff flown in from Ft Lauderdale, nothing is cheap.

And you wanna go about it by competing with the locals in the trades? You might offer to do welding for a local and make friends, that may be an in. That will take time. The Bahamians are very kind but they stay insulated to a fair degree

We all telling you, competing as an expat is not a good idea. The successful ones do work via remote online-type things f.ex. blogs, online retail (have someone in domestic US with stock / ship), consulting, etc
OBVIOUSLY ILLEGAL ... COME ON MAN!

Is it legal for any foreigner on a visitor visa to work in the United States??? or in any country for that matter? NO

This has to be the silliest of threads
Aquadome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 07:53   #28

Boat: CS 27

It's illegal and exactly the same thing that so many Americans are upset about with people from Central America entering the US. It takes jobs and income away from locals who could be providing the services. It's a form of Neo-colonialism that allows us to think it's OK because we're somehow better at providing that service or have a right to because we're just passing through and trying to make a living. As others suggest, find a way to make money remotely so you're not stealing income from locals, save enough before going, or apply for the legal right to do so (but that's a last resort because it's still taking income from locals).
edventuredad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 09:16   #29

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I agree its a legal obligation to not work outside the system you were born into without permission from the owners of the new system you've moved into.

I disagree that there's a moral obligation to not "steal" work from anyone. Until your contracted to do a job there's nothing to steal. Let everyone earn their work in a free market.
Old 14-06-2021, 09:48   #30
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
I agree its a legal obligation to not work outside the system you were born into without permission from the owners of the new system you've moved into.

I disagree that there's a moral obligation to not "steal" work from anyone. Until your contracted to do a job there's nothing to steal. Let everyone earn their work in a free market.

Sure if you are legally working you are entitled to compete. Nothing to argue here.

But that’s not the issue being discussed

Tags
Bahamas, cruising, work