Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 08:48   #1

Boat: Currently boatless
Questions about Kids and Doctors while Cruising

It has been a while since I have been here...probably about a year. Due to major changes a new baby, a house that won't sell and husband doing short term contract work we haven't done any sailing recently. I have a question that I though would be perfect to put out there for families sailing with young kids.

We are not in any one place long term and finding doctors for my new baby every month or 2 has been a challenge. I am not planning to give my little girl all of the vaccines on the normal schedule. I would love to find a way to get her the vaccines that I want when I want them without having to wait weeks and go through the long explanation of why I am looking for a new doctor or why my address is in FL. My husband makes good money so the free clinics aren't an option and I am not concerned about the other things in the well baby checkups. I have a scale a measuring stick and the charts to track that stuff on my own. We have been in the US and most likely will remain here for awhile. My daughter is less than 6 months old and I want to get her vaccines about once a month so that they can be spread out, so there are a lot of Dr visits.

So my question is where do you get your kids vaccinated when you are traveling and won't likely see the same doctor?
Soon2BCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:12   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
take a health record with you and make sure every doctor gets a copy--never know if or when you may need same one again...there have been cruisers through here with young kids--one family returned for a second dose of sin diego....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 09:09   #3

Boat: Lagoon 410
We just went to the Ped yesterday with our 15 mo old for her vaccinations. We are in Mass now but have a FL address and live on a boat. Our pediatricians know all this and go out of there way to help us out., as did a pediatrician in FL. We pay out of pocket which is a little hard for them to accept but it ends up being no big deal. In MA if you are not insured vaccinations are free( FL too I think). Actually the vacc itself is free the administration of it is not.
Both places we've gotten care for our kids were in areas where there is a transient element so I think that helped the MD's accept the whole thing. We just brought our vaccination book with us Remember, they just want your kids to be healthy and most likely any pediatrician will go out of their way to help you any way they can.
NeverforGranted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 00:36   #4

Re: Questions about Kids and Doctors while Cruising

Most places in the US will have a county public health office with a nurse who can give vaccinations according to their protocols. Bring your records and get documentation for all your child's shots. Schools (even college someday) may want to see proof of vaccination.
Uliad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids