Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2019, 12:21   #1

Boat: 1981 Tayana 37
Prout 33,34,37

Im looking for a Prout Catamaran. Is there anyone that has been on and sailed on a Quest 33, and a Snowgoose 37? Its just me and my dog, and occasion short term visitors. I will cross oceans when the dogs isn't around anymore. Meanwhile Ill be doing coastal cruising, short hops offshore, etc. I will be living on the hook for the most part. Is there a huge difference in motion at sea between the two? What are other differences that would make you want to choose one over the other for my intended purpose.

Thanks
TheLastPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Prout 33,34,37

Apart from difference in amount of space and speed.. not a lot really.. higher marina fee's.???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:49   #3

Re: Prout 33,34,37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Apart from difference in amount of space and speed.. not a lot really.. higher marina fee's.???
So offshore the Quest 33 and the Snowgoose 37 feel about the same, in heavy weather? The smaller one doesn't hobby horse considerably more? For example.
I guess my problem is, the 33 is a lot cheaper, but if Im going to wish I had a snowgoose down the road, Id rather get one while I can. If the 33 is almost the same offshore comfort wise, etc..maybe I don't need the snowgoose.
Old 06-02-2019, 13:09   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

In heavy weather I doubt there will be any hobby horsing you'd notice.. that's more a mild to modest sea thing with wind forwards of the beam.. they don't like it..
however the 37 would be better for the long term for more comfort and speed if going long distances, also the greater tankage and storage space.. if you've the money, get the 37..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 06-02-2019, 13:10   #5

Boat: St Francis 44 MK 2 Sold - Richard Woods Banshee catamaran 35'

Hi TheLastPirate,

I had a Prout Quest 33CS for about two years.
It felt secure but slow.
I really liked the sail plan and did use all three at once quite a bit in the San Francisco Bay.
What I really didn't like is the hydraulic steering.
The hydraulic steering gave no feedback and I couldn't tell how far off center the rudders were to maintain direction.
Further one can't put a marking on the wheel to mark straight ahead because whenever one uses the autopilot it changes.
All in all a comfortable boat but for me not enough fun to sail.

The next owner did the Bahaha on the boat and had a great ride down.

I hope that is helpful.

Steve
TheSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:18   #6

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwartz View Post
Hi TheLastPirate,

I had a Prout Quest 33CS for about two years.
It felt secure but slow.
I really liked the sail plan and did use all three at once quite a bit in the San Francisco Bay.
What I really didn't like is the hydraulic steering.
The hydraulic steering gave no feedback and I couldn't tell how far off center the rudders were to maintain direction.
Further one can't put a marking on the wheel to mark straight ahead because whenever one uses the autopilot it changes.
All in all a comfortable boat but for me not enough fun to sail.

The next owner did the Bahaha on the boat and had a great ride down.

I hope that is helpful.

Steve
Steve,

It's probably because I couldn't sleep and was up at 3am, but what you do mean when you say you can't mark TDC (top dead center) on the wheel because it changes due to the A/Pilot?

If you set your rudders perfectly straight (if possible), secure them and then mark the wheel (first with a marker and then with a leather wrap) you'll always have TDC marked, regardless of which way the AP turns the wheel out on the water. Am I missing something in my early morning stupor?!! ;-)

Regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:28   #7

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Hydraulic steering had creep so you can't mark TDC. It's something common to all hydraulic setups so nothing to do with Prout.

Normally on a cat if you have hydraulic steering, you'd have rudder position indicator (the AP would need one anyway), and you do develop a feel for when the rudders are centred. On my 35 if in doubt I can easily just swing my head and see them from the cockpit.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:43   #8

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Hydraulic steering had creep so you can't mark TDC. It's something common to all hydraulic setups so nothing to do with Prout.

Normally on a cat if you have hydraulic steering, you'd have rudder position indicator (the AP would need one anyway), and you do develop a feel for when the rudders are centred. On my 35 if in doubt I can easily just swing my head and see them from the cockpit.
I've not experienced that; good to know. Thanks!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:00   #9

So to sum up everyones thoughts so far,if Im understanding right. You guys feel if someone wanted to cross oceans, the 33 is fine, safe enough, stable enough, etc, but the snowgoose will give more room to spread out. So its more about how someone lives (minimalistic or materialistic) as to which one would suit them best. So both are safe circumnavigators, the snowgoose is roomier, a little quicker, and about twice the price. Speaking of which, a pre 1990 snowgoose should be under 65k correct? Ive seen a 92 or 93 advertised for 115k...which I think is about twice the actual value. Not a lot are for sale in the US right now, but around the world including the Caribbean 65k for a mid 80s to 90 or so seems about the going rate. And the 33s are around 35kish average.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:18   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPirate View Post
So to sum up everyones thoughts so far,if Im understanding right. You guys feel if someone wanted to cross oceans, the 33 is fine, safe enough, stable enough, etc, but the snowgoose will give more room to spread out. So its more about how someone lives (minimalistic or materialistic) as to which one would suit them best. So both are safe circumnavigators, the snowgoose is roomier, a little quicker, and about twice the price. Speaking of which, a pre 1990 snowgoose should be under 65k correct? Ive seen a 92 or 93 advertised for 115k...which I think is about twice the actual value. Not a lot are for sale in the US right now, but around the world including the Caribbean 65k for a mid 80s to 90 or so seems about the going rate. And the 33s are around 35kish average.
Well.. in the UK currently there's only two 30+ Prouts for sale.. a 34 for £55K..
https://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boat...vent-34/567169
and a 37 for €93K.. 2001 Brit owned but lying in Turkey..
https://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boat...oose-37/576353

Old 09-02-2019, 06:53   #11

So what would the speed difference be between the two? A quest and a snowgoose? How hard would it be for me to tow a 16 foot wooden self bailing skiff behind one of them, obviously not worrying about speed at that point. It weighs about 500-600 lbs with the motor. Down the ICW, small trips offshore maybe, then across to Bahamas and down the Islands. There wouldn't be a way to stow that topsides would there? its 15 foot and some change actually. Well plus the motor off the back. Has anyone towed anything like that with either model?
Old 09-02-2019, 08:46   #12

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

The prices will tend to reflect the more the condition than anything else. A good well cared for 37 Elite, or Event 34 would be close to £75,000. A regular 37 or 31 could be had for a little as £20,000 after negotiation but would need a lot more work.

The 35s are little bit more difficult to judge since there aren't many around, the condition varies wildly.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:01   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPirate View Post
So what would the speed difference be between the two? A quest and a snowgoose? How hard would it be for me to tow a 16 foot wooden self bailing skiff behind one of them, obviously not worrying about speed at that point. It weighs about 500-600 lbs with the motor. Down the ICW, small trips offshore maybe, then across to Bahamas and down the Islands. There wouldn't be a way to stow that topsides would there? its 15 foot and some change actually. Well plus the motor off the back. Has anyone towed anything like that with either model?
Going E to the Caribe like that.. buy a tug

Old 11-02-2019, 05:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Going E to the Caribe like that.. buy a tug
You know I used to work on tugs, that's what made me think it would be ok to tow the boat..lol.