Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2018, 02:14   #1

Cat refit in north of Italy - Suggestions?

Hi all,

My first post here - hopefully only the start!

So I am planning on buying an Edel 35 Cat or similar in 2019. It will be my first boat and as I am still working and are not super technical I would like to give it to a shipyard for refit.

The general plan would be to find a solid cat with a good working engine and no major damage for around 50k € and then spend another 50-60k € to turn it in a blue water life-aboard-cruiser. And start cruising in 2020 - so the boat would have roughly 1 year to be refitted.

As I live in the north of Italy I would like to find a shipyard that I can reach on the weekends by train to check the progress of work.

So now I have some fundamental questions:

- Generally any budget comments?
- Any suggestions on shipyards in the north of Italy (Viareggio?) - or would you suggest a total different approach (refitting abroad because quality/price better?)
- Would you consider to pay for a "project manager" on that size of project?

Thanks so much for any help!
Alex
SV_EDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:12   #2

Re: Cat refit in north of Italy - Suggestions?

Hi all,

Sorry to follow this up, but I believe you are the best people to ask.

Would you suggest to go this rought or somehow get all the money I can get together and buy a new cat?

Thanks!!
Old 09-02-2019, 01:44   #3

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_EDEL View Post
Hi all,

Would you suggest to go this rought or somehow get all the money I can get together and buy a new cat?

Thanks!!

I am not at all familiar with Italy so can not help with a shipyard recommendation. But I will advise against your plan. If you can not do the work yourself and even in some cases if you can it will not work out financially. It is much more expensive to buy all the pieces of a boat and put it together that to buy one that someone else has done.
On top of that, a shipyard doing an extensive project for a person with out the knowledge to make the proper decisions always goes way over budget.
You don't have to buy new, just one that does not need as much work.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:35   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!!
If you want to save money, do it yourself, all the refitting.
Labor prices are insane in the EU and other developed countries.

I was asking for a simple new countertop in the galley, removal of the old one and preparation done before by myself - simple artificial corean-like plain plastic material with the holes for 2 sinks and a hub - got an offer in the yard for 6500€ and 4 weeks to deliver and install. For this money you get a kittchen with all furniture and appliances for an apartment on land. Done the countertop myself, bought the router, tools, material, took me 4 days in the yard and costs me 600€ inclusive the tools.

Needed to change the MMSI number in the AIS, asked the boatyard to do it, because you need the special password for the service menu to delete the old MMSI (Raymarine), waited 2 weeks until they show up, job done in 15 minutes, connect USB cable, turn power off and on, boot the notebook, enter password, hit delete, enter new MMSI,reboot and check, write the Invoice - 115€.

There is nothing cheap in a marina.
Bottom paint antifouling, mooring or staying on the hard, all costs money. A cat costs usually 50...100% more than a monohull (2 times the surface), 10m yacht docking fee 600€ per month, cat 900€, long term discounts possible, same for stay on land. Paint 1 layer around 16€/m2, haul out 19€/m2 (LOA x BEAM), a 40ft cat costs 1600€ for haul out, power washing and put back in the water incl. 3 days on land for maintenance and painting, one year storage on the dry with no work done by the marina will add 10000€.

It sums up. If you let the marina do all the refit, 50k will be nothing in a serious project.

My advice would be, quitt your job, then find the boat, make a sea trial, then haul it out for a survey, buy it, let it on the dry for as little time as possible, do the bottom jobs like scrubbing, anti fouling, rudder, saildrive, propeller maintenance, throughhulls, etc. yourself with friends, check rigging - you may need a crane for the mast, buy the stuff you need for the interior refit, electronics, electric system, whatever and get it on the boat, go back in the water and go to a nice anchorage, refit step by step there. A small Honda generator may be useful to power your tools. A refit is a fulltime job and very time consuming when hunting for spare parts. Boat parts are expensive, take a look to a chandlery to get the idea.

If you need power and water, stay at the marina dock or on the dry, but use the time efficiently.

If you have your boat in the marina and cannot take care of it, you would burn money every day.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:25   #5

hi all

Thanks so much for your responses!

I just won’t have the time to do the works myself.
Any suggestion of price range to find a small blue water ready cat?
Broadblue 346 new plus upgrade would cost me around 220k-250k €
I was more thinking of something around 150k ready to sail out of the med...
Old 10-02-2019, 00:31   #6

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Here's what looks like the boat for you, Lagoon 380, in Italy, €150,000. I'm not saying it is ready to go but it looks good and even has a generator and watermaker! https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...owse%20listing

Lagoon 380 probably the best small cat built in the last 20 years by the big manufacturers, IMHO.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:01   #7

that's a nice one, good price point.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:54   #8

What do you guys think of a Privilege 39? They seem to be already well equipped for crossings:
130k for this:
https://www.rightboat.com/us/boats-f...e2c12/rb243255
Old 10-02-2019, 11:07   #9

Quote:
What do you guys think of a Privilege 39? They seem to be already well equipped for crossings:
130k for this:
1992, quite old. make a proper survey. A refit or osmosis treatment can double the investment easily.
Old 10-02-2019, 23:52   #10

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
130k for this:
Well I absolutely love Privileges having owned one for 12 years. They last forever so you don't need to worry about the age. You might find damage to the interior woodwork which happens very easily as there is so much of it and a small leak around a window can quickly spoil the wood. Other common problems from boats of that age is the headliner coming away as the foam back deteriorates in hot climates.

Do you know where it is in Spain? I'm in Spain for the next few days and could take a look if it is near.

Edit... Just realised Kanarische Inseln is German for Canary Islands so I'm nowhere near there!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 23:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Well I absolutely love Privileges having owned one for 12 years. They last forever so you don't need to worry about the age. You might find damage to the interior woodwork which happens very easily as there is so much of it and a small leak around a window can quickly spoil the wood. Other common problems from boats of that age is the headliner coming away as the foam back deteriorates in hot climates.

Do you know where it is in Spain? I'm in Spain for the next few days and could take a look if it is near.
Thanks so much for the input and your offer. No I don’t know more yet about this privilege.
At the moment trying to figure out the budget, so I won’t buy until end of this year (to have works done in winter and then start sailing summer 20) - I guess it’s too early to fall in love with a particular boat

Thanks again!
Alex

Tags
catamaran, edel, Italy, refit