Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2009, 07:06   #1

Privilege 465 with Dagger Boards

Hi all,

I am looking at a Privilege 465 with dagger boards, owner version. I would like to get some feedback from anyone who has sailed on these vessels and from owners as to what to look for when buying. This vessel is 1999 vintage and has all the extras.

My wife and I will make this vessel home while we are sailng around so would appreciate some feedback and guidance.

cheers
Kicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 04:15   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
There were probably only one or two Privilege 465s built with dagger boards. Same goes for 435s. They were always on the Alliaura price list but to be honest, people who buy Privileges are usually more cruising than performance orientated. The one you are looking at probably also has a Carbon mast as that was part of the performance 'package'

I remember seeing Polar diagrams for a 435 with dagger boards and they were indeed better than the standard keel version.

The 465 you are looking at will have all the traditional Privilege build quality and a bit more performance so should be an excellent boat.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 04:52   #3

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
I read in an article (written by some one with a bisas towards boats without DBs) that DBs are subject to :

1) Damage from grounding or hitting something making them difficult to pull

2) Subject to barnical build up making them difficult to use...

3) Are not really better than fin keels

Any truth to any of these assertions ???

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 05:42   #4

1 and 2 are possibilities, but so is running aground in general. And if you let the barnacles build up so badly as that you deserve what you get.

3. is patently not true unless the d'boards are just inefficiently shaped and that would be unlikely. With boards, pointing ability is much improved. Just ask any beachcat sailor.
tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 06:27   #5

Privilage 465 with dagger boards

thanks Jeannius for your feedback on the 465, the vessel has everything on it and was asking 310k unfortunatly someone else bought it before I had a chance to put a offer in.

Happy sailing to the new owner. I still am still looking for one so information on these vessels is greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all the others for your feedback as well

cheers
Old 29-09-2009, 04:34   #6

When you consider that Privilege only make around 10-12 of each model per year and that the daggerboard version was very much a minority interest I think you may have to wait a while to find one. I said in the previous post that probably only one or two were made. I could be wrong but I'd certainly bet there were no more than one a year so 5 or 6 max during the 465s production run.

Good luck though.

Old 29-09-2009, 07:35   #7

Privilage 465 with dagger boards

Thanks Jeannius

Can you tell me about the 435 that you have as a cruising boat? And any issues/problems that you have come accross with the Privilage boats?
Old 29-09-2009, 12:12   #8

There is a Privilege posted on Yachworld her name is BIKINI and is posted for USD 349000, was that the one you saw. There is also another 465 in the Bahamas or BVI, but will keels. For a cruiser after reading all pros and cons I believe keels are best
Augusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 16:09   #9

Certainly.... My boat has had quite a hard life of over 5 years in bareboat charter. In spite of that the boat is in excellent shape apart from cosmetic issues which I'm now gradually resolving.

When I took delivery of the boat in 2002 the list of problems was amazingly small when compared to other production boats. The list comprised 3 items that needed resolving, the worst of which was a non-functioning fuel tank gauge. The others where a small piece of wood veneer on a handle that needed glueing and a very slight mis-allignment between a jammer and a mast slot for the gennaker halyard.

Nearly 7 years on the only criticism I have is that the gennaker supplied as part of the Easy Cruise package is a complete pain. Most 435s (and 465s) are Easy Cruise versions as the package included just about every extra you'd fit to make the boat suitable for long term cruising... generator, watermaker, comprehensive Raymarine instrumentation, bow sprit and gennaker. As I've already alluded, the furling gennaker is pretty useless... too small, too lightweight, poor furling gear. I've just wrecked mine for the 3rd time and won't be repairing it anymore. The other minor design flaw is in the slave rudder (the one not directly attached to the autohelm) The mechanism on this allows a judder or even knocking when motoring hard as a result of turbulence. This is a minor irritation only and hasn't got any worse over time.

The one thing I would change on the boat is the saloon table. It is great for seating lots of people but makes the seating area uncomfotable for just lounging around watching tv or whatever. I'm still trying to work out a way to replace the table in such a way that I can store the existing table for reuse by a future owner .

To sum up... Great cruising boat. Solid and reliable. Still wouldn't choose anything different.

Going back to 465s... I know the boat that Augusto mentions in the BVI. I think the price is around $395k. It was owned by a English couple who cruised for a while and then left it in the BVI with a management company that provided crewed-charter on the boat. Haven't been on it recently but I would think it is a very good buy.

Old 29-09-2009, 18:59   #10

Privelage 465 with dagger boards

Thanks Mike for info on your 435, sounds like Privilage are quality built boats. Its one on my list to go for,the other is Catana and I saw the new 41 at Southampton boat show, well built. The 465 is the Bikini that I was looking at will have a closer look at the other 465 or 435 as they come up. Mike what bridgedeck clerance is the 435? I would be interested to find out if you get any wave pounding under the bridge deck?

cheers
Old 29-09-2009, 19:09   #11

Bridgedeck clearance is way higher than most. You'll get the occasional slap but not a problem.

Catana was the other boat I seriously considered but eventually ruled out as I didn't like the exposed helm. Also didn't think dagger boards were a good idea as my boat would be going into charter.

If you are in the UK then talk to the Privilege broker, Bill Bullimore at PBM | Patrick Boyd Multihulls

Old 29-09-2009, 19:59   #12

privilage 465 with dagger boards

Thanks Mike, I also am a bit unsure with the exposed helm. The Privilage boats look to be a nice comftable cruising boats. My only concern is the fowared windows letting in a lot of sun, making the saloon area hot? The engine room space looks good with room to move. Any problems with wiring or electrics?

cheers
Old 30-09-2009, 04:42   #13

I want a nice solid bulkhead in front of me for bad weather and a large bimini keeping the sun off me in good weather. Yes you'll be on autohelm 99% of the time but in bad weather you need to be sat at the helm ready to take action. I'd hate to be sat out in the corners or up on a flybridge in bad weather.

Saloon can get hot. Privileges come with screens that fit over the outside of the windows that block 65% or 85% (you choose which you want at build) of the solar energy. They work well and still allow reasonable vision. We don't find our boat any hotter than say a Lagoon or FP with vertical windows..

Electrics always cause a problem on boats! We did have problems and they were all down to me specifying inadequate shorepower. When asked the question... Is 30 amps enough for you? I said yes. What I forgot was I'd specified the boat as 110v not 220v. Of course 30amps at 220v is a lot of capacity. At 110v it is barely adequate and the loads need careful management. Cost me a lot of money that stupid mistake.

Generally though the electrics are good quality installations. I've got some light switches that need replacement but other than that things are fine. Electricians who come aboard always say it is better than most other boats they've worked on.

Old 30-09-2009, 08:30   #14

Privilege 465 with dagger boards

Hi Mike
Many thanks for your feedback on the Privilege vessels. With your comments I have reduced the boats I will be looking at buying and Privilege 465 or 435 is on top of the list. Just for interest how does the boat peform under light conditions as well as in heavy weather?

cheers
Old 30-09-2009, 15:54   #15

Mine is now underpowered in light conditions because I replaced the original sails with 'charter spec' sails. I thought that just meant heavier duty but in fact they are quite a lot smaller than the originals. That was another expensive mistake I made. Before that light wind perfomance was fine. Not exceptional but certainly acceptable.

I did however find my original genoa languishing under a pile of other sails round the back of the charter co shed. Got it out of the bag and it actually looks ok so I'm going to find a way of flying the two genoas together for downwind use when I head out across the Pacific next year.

Tags
dagger boards, privilege