Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2017, 20:39   #16

Boat: FP Lucia 40
Re: Owners Version vs 4-Cabin Questions.

We agree with all the comments supporting an owners version. Our Lucia 40 (#6) came with the Stbd owners cabin complete with storage, desk, shelving, separate head and large shower plus the forward locker we call our laundry ( washing machine inside). We also have modified the shelving in this cupboard to accommodate an ice maker. The owners cabin definitely is not too big and is great for 2 .
The port hull has 2 cabins and associated heads. We have converted the forward one into shower only by removing the head completely. For 2 guests this gives some semblance of an owners hull.
One Day More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:37   #17

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Day More View Post
We agree with all the comments supporting an owners version. Our Lucia 40 (#6) came with the Stbd owners cabin complete with storage, desk, shelving, separate head and large shower plus the forward locker we call our laundry ( washing machine inside). We also have modified the shelving in this cupboard to accommodate an ice maker. The owners cabin definitely is not too big and is great for 2 .
The port hull has 2 cabins and associated heads. We have converted the forward one into shower only by removing the head completely. For 2 guests this gives some semblance of an owners hull.
Any pics of the converted head to shower?
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:36   #18

Boat: Leopard 39

I have an owners version Leopard 39. I would encourage you to buy a vessel configured for the use you envision, and not try to make a 4 cabin into a 3; but if you're handy and you enjoy that sort of thing, have at it. Owners versions do come at a premium, but they will also be easier to sell, and for a higher price when the time comes. In a smaller cat like mine, I find the dedicated owners hull affords "psychological space" more than useful square footage, as the space between the head and the berth is basically a walkway with storage, rather than an office space where a chair might be placed. It's simply too narrow for a chart table there, but the space makes it feel more like a home and less like a boat. I think the 3-or-4 cabin question becomes more important with cats over 40 feet, where the possibility of a real "office space" presents itself, and you're factoring in whether you want to maintain three heads or four. Whatever you choose, best of luck and congratulations for choosing a catamaran. You won't be sorry.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 14:49   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> . I think the 3-or-4 cabin question becomes more important with cats over 40 feet, where the possibility of a real "office space" presents itself, and you're factoring in whether you want to maintain three heads or four.

IMNSHO, two heads are quite sufficient for a cruising boat, any more is a waste of space.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 15:26   #20

Boat: FP Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
Any pics of the converted head to shower?

This a photo of the floor where the toilet was. The shower fitting is a new one on a vertical track on the wall above . Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6128.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	151111
One Day More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 18:56   #21

I agree with Cotemars points of few

The 4 cabin charter cats most of the time are naked and lotīs of epensive installations have to be added on that later on donīt show up in the resale value.

I am open minded towards the idea but have not seen any conversion jet that convinced me to make all the efforts.
What I like most about the owners versions is the gorgeous head on a small cat like Lagoon 380. That is hard to beat. We are just a couple and donīt need the extra berths. We also donīt want such a big boat.
If I could choose, I take the VERY practical size of of a Gemini 105, 34ft, Beam 14ft with a min. Draft center boards up of only 18" and......with aprox 400sqf available living space + vordeck

in one hull
with an absolute spacious staterroom with a wide bed and lotīs of storage compared to much bigger sized cats.

with the big and comfortable size head with seperate shower of the Lagoonīs 380 owners version.

in the other hull
forward in the bow a big storage room, set up a little top loader spin drive washing machiene, a big top loading freezer and room for a little work shop with tools and spares and for all the other stuff that I donīt want to see and out of the way.
Towards stern another storage room that is also my office and that can be converted to a bed for occasinal guests
And somewhere in between another small head. I donīt like the guests in my bathroom.

The salon of the Lagoon 380 with the fantastic all round view and the galley that communicates fantastic with the deck and the cockpit

and a deck area with U shape sitting area with easy access like the FP Mahe 36 or the Lagoon 380 with a good view and sail handling from the cockpit.

Is that possible ?
I think with the available space that should not be such a problem.
The design ideas and examples do exist.
But nobody wants to built that boat even so it would fit many cruising couples and live aboards.
They only want to built party boats converted to an owners version

The closest I can get is an 380 owners version but when I look at the bed size compared to the available space for sleeping on this boat..... that is an insult. When I go to sleep I feel like a tourist
I have no room in my bed but I am carrying a complete hull for guests.
Yes, I want to attend my guest that might sleep on board for occasions.
But I buy my boat for me and not for my guests.

The Gemini 105 is great to live inside but their is no space on deck and the cockpit has bad visability. Compared to the Lagoon and FP the layout of the deck is very poor and uncomfortable. Who wants to be inside on a boat unless the weather is absolutly horrible ???? With the Legacy 35 it got much better and the deck is more open and inviting, wide open steps on the transom, but the important issues with visability still remain the same and....
Yeah great, now they added fixed keels Draft 34".Before min Draft was only 18".
And now with the 2 Yanmars the Legacy weighs also 9800 Lbs... 1800Lbs more than the 105 MC. With 1 engine it was easy to add on more capacity to the tanks without cherrycans for more range.... now I donīt know !

So what size of boat and how much do I have to spend to have a comfortable boat FOR ME ?
How many beds I donīt use do I have to carry around.
How many extra Lbs, extra fuel and more dock space do I have to pay for ?????

Under those considerations I am open to converting a 4 cabin cat because even with an owners version and paying I donīt get what I pay for !!
I only get a converted tourist boat.
Old 02-07-2017, 20:51   #22

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Your set up sounds amazing, and absolutely ideal. I like the Bahia but the Maestro/Owners Version is exceedingly rare. Do you have a website or blog with more pictures of your boat? I would love to see how you redid the port hull.
Thanks but sorry no blog etc and not sure if my iphone would do any justice to photos. I'll see what I can do.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:14   #23

Boat: Outremer

If mostly sailing as an Couple, I would allways opt for the Ownersversion, you got enough space for 4 Guest in the second Hull. But as Cotamar said it evident to have enough Hanginglockers for your Foulweathergear, for the Jackets and Robes-once you want to go out, the Boat-Pharmacy, Sewingmaschine and so on. If you choose the Ownerversion, you get a much bigger Bathroom, with all the space and lockers one need to have
Old 03-07-2017, 13:42   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
To me it just depends on what your use is. We've packed Palarran to the gills with people for 6 years and needed all 4 cabins, plus extra for a small child. Our max was 11 on board for 8 days - that was a lot.

Now though, everyone is in college or have jobs so it's just our friends coming, not families. We could and should move to a 3 cabin. My wife would love a regular shower and island bed. Storage isn't an issue.

If it's just going to be the two of you, then for sure get a 3 cabin.
I think that's the best answer..I currently own 5 cats, mostly 4 cabins FP's, but had also 3 cabins in the past. Everyone's need is different, hence one cannot say this is better than this or not. There are two facts though;

-3 cabins sells faster for sure (because most of 4 cabins second hands are out of charter and there is a prejudice against second hand charter boats.. This is wrong; there are very good maintained charter boats and very poorly miantained owners boats)
-converting four cabins to three is very expensive and sometimes impossible. If you need 3 cabins, buy a 3 cabins, althought it might cost a bit more.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 00:00   #25

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro

Hopefully this will give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1144.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	151250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1145.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	151251  

Name:	IMG_1146.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	390.1 KB
ID:	151253  
Old 05-07-2017, 01:58   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Owners Version vs 4-Cabin Questions.

The Lucia 40 has the option of just two heads with the port hull having the larger bathroom shared between two cabins plus the owners side bathroom.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:08   #27

Boat: Leopard 40

I refused to get a 3-cabin version because they were more expensive and still didn't have enough storage. We bought a 4-cabin Leopard 40 and turned the forward starboard cabin into a pantry/laundry room. It cost us less than $500 to do it. We left one of the lockers under the old bunk for tools. In the forward port cabin we added shelves. We took out the mattress so the cabin can be used for storage and spares, but we bought a blowup double mattress if we need to use the cabin for guests.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:01   #28

Boat: Lagoon 420
Owners Version vs 4-Cabin Questions.

We have a four cabin Lagoon 420 where my wife & I live in the Stbd hull and have the Port hull for guests.

We sleep in the fwd cabin and use the aft cabin for storage. We each have our own bathroom which is very nice and use the shower in the aft head for storage as well.

We usually limit family & guests to maximum of 4 but in a pinch if we have more guests on board we can make the aft cabin available for people or person to sleep.

Quite a few have mentioned an office. When needed I do work in the salon or outside in the cockpit and this works great. We don't have a printer but if we did I'd set it up on top of the breaker panel enclosure in the salon.

This arrangement works very good for us and we wouldn't have an owner's version. We've discussed it and just feel the extra area in an owner's hull would be under utilized space. We love our 4 cabin L420.

I'm surprised there haven't been others that put forward this alternative viewpoint besides Tom & Maje?!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 22:36   #29

Boat: 2006 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
I refused to get a 3-cabin version because they were more expensive and still didn't have enough storage. We bought a 4-cabin Leopard 40 and turned the forward starboard cabin into a pantry/laundry room. It cost us less than $500 to do it. We left one of the lockers under the old bunk for tools. In the forward port cabin we added shelves. We took out the mattress so the cabin can be used for storage and spares, but we bought a blowup double mattress if we need to use the cabin for guests.

Maje
Exactly. We also have a Leopard 40 that is a 4C/2H, and we have the fwd starboard set up as a pantry and storage....but we can easily change it back to a cabin if we have extra guests. The advantage that I think this model of boat has is that even the charter version L40s came with only 2 heads, each with a separate shower stall.

We looked at other ~40' boats and the ideas of having 4 cabins and 4 tiny heads seemed crazy. Although I'll admit that some of the conversions people have done to turn the extra heads into a separate shower room or laundry room are pretty clever.

FWIW, my wife thought that the Owners Version boats we looked at were "spacious" but "too much wasted space that wasn't super practical for storage"
amiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 03:49   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2654.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	151790[/ATTACH]

These are options available on the Lucia 40.
Single large bathrooms in either hull of three or four cabin layout.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2655.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	151789  
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin