Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2006, 13:33   #1

Boat: Mariah SC23 - Temporary
OK Florida guys and gals, Who and where is this yard?

Surfing around today I found this little bit of info...

http://multihullboatbuilder.org/content/view/55/74/

Any ideas who and where?

thanks, MN
MNDWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2006, 15:05   #2

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
Hmmmm

I would think, South Florida, right?
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2006, 17:38   #3
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
South Florida? Not unless someone grew mountains in south Florida this week. Look at the left backround of the first photo. That's a mountain, or at least a very large hill back there. No part of Florida that I've been to resembles that photo.

If I had to guess, I'd say the Panhandle, only because it's the only part of Florida I haven't seen yet.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2006, 17:42   #4

It's probably California...

I remember reading that there were two boats built. One is on display in a lagoon at Universal Studios on Orlando. The other is owned by a man in Southern California. Perhaps it is a photo of the construction crew moving the boat in Orlando?
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2006, 17:51   #5

Ok, it looks like the Orlando version was bought...

From http://boatdesign.net/forums/printth...p?t=3598&pp=40
s v ugly sister06-05-2004 12:59 AM
WATERWORLD TRIMARAN - recent interest

Two boats were built for the movie by Jeanneau - Lagoon in france - one was the sailing version - and the second was used as the "transformer" version - these were off-the-shelf ORMA 60' trimaran racing machines with a 45' beam - the sailing version cost $910,000. f.o.b France & the transformer version cost $810,000. f.o.b. france - the hulls - connectives etc were flown to Hawaii & assembled by a French crew of technicians - & handed over to Universal for the Ugly-fication process & installation of the working & non-working props - (eg. the telescoping boom actually worked on the transformer version - while the sailing version boom is covered with sheet metal to make it look like it is a fully extended telescoping boom) - the sailing version was operated below decks in two compartments - various sheets - halyards - topping lifts etc were operated by either 2 Lewmar handcrank #66 selftailers behind line clutches - or - 2 Harken horizontal alloy electric #74.2 monsters - standing rigging was 25mm & 30mm 1x19 316ss wire with monster turnbuckles - steering was below decks forward of the mast & hydraulic - the steering pedestal that Costner operated in the cockpit area had a hydraulic pump that was plumbed into the below deck hydraulic steering lines - I think that the neatest prop was the slicer bob-stay - the hulls were constructed of divynl closed cell core with facings of glass & carbon fiber with epoxy resin vacuum bagged - lots of epoxy/micro balloon type fairing was used on all hulls - the connectives are constructed of carbon fiber / epoxy - an upper & lower "Plate" box beam structure with thin sides - the curvature to the connectives is foam/glass/epoxy sandwitch streamlining - dagger board is aft of the forward connective - for the movie the case was stubbed off & didn't go thru deck as it would have gotten in the way of below decks line handling - the aluminum stick with rotating base measures 75 feet & was garbaged-up with heavy props & a masthead over the real masthead - the massive spreaders don't do anything for me & will be removed - the whole mast system was a weight-aloft nightmare - the diesel was a volvo 4 cyl 48 hp freshwater cooled with maxi sail drive - the boat was sailed for about 5 1/2 months for the movie & the diesel hour meter shows 720 hours - - Universal shipped the sailing version to Orlando & placed it in the WATERWORLD show for about 6 years - - the boat has been pretty well beat up & was not maintained - - I bought the boat with some of the props fron King Kona Productions (Universal) in March of 2004 - will be repairing the boat & rig & using it for cruising once its done - My son & I will be getting the boat back together - we both have experience building & cruising trimarans - - - named it UGLY SISTER as it is the uglyest sister ship of this design - - - Dale Miami
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2006, 18:08   #6
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by exposure
I remember reading that there were two boats built. One is on display in a lagoon at Universal Studios on Orlando. The other is owned by a man in Southern California. Perhaps it is a photo of the construction crew moving the boat in Orlando?
Orlando is flat as a pancake. The photo is not of Orlando

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2006, 21:43   #7

http://www.geocities.com/mariner767/building.htm
that photo is from way back
yotphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 05:44   #8

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
I dunno about orlando, but my uncle who lives in southern florida, near tampa recently told me about how the really rich people with their mansions down there are having tons of dirt shipped in to make mountains to drive through up to their houses and country clubs and stuff. really stupid, but I"m just saying, can't rule out south florida totally
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 06:52   #9

Boat: 27' CSK, Hula Kai
Send a message via Yahoo to fhrussell
How do we know it is not an older photo...looks like SoCal to me. I saw this boat in San Diego just a couple of years ago.
fhrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 09:19   #10

Boat: Mariah SC23 - Temporary
Thanks for the leads guys. SV Ugly Sister is in Miami (from his profile on boatdesign) is all I've been able to find so far though. I'm looking for a builder, the little blurb said they had built, which is the why of the thread. Any more leads you can throw me?

MN
MNDWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:58   #11

I live in Tampa and have traveled all over the state. There are no hills, much less mountains of that size in Fl.

I think the CA guess was a good one.
Swallows_and_Amazons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:58   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

MN-
"I'm looking for a builder, the little blurb said they had built, " they called the new owner a "florida boatbuilder" note that means Florida is where he or his business is/was located, it doesn't mean the photo is of a Florida yard, or that he's still working in Florida. Could be he builds 32' sport fishermen in Florida, not Tris.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 08:25   #13

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
Socal

If that isn't Southern California it's Arizona or nevada. I'm sure. It is not east of the Missisippi.
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida