Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2013, 07:11   #31

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Need a cat, <$200K, 38-42ft, help

Thanks for sharing your experience. I had some concerns about this, mainly because there are very few ocean cats in my neck of the woods. Which means I'm flying everywhere. So a survey, plus a flight is my entry fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Some were fixable some would have been very expensive. 2 others had original sails, rigging, and electronics in addition to other issues listed. These cats all ranged from 1993 to 1999, So a 170k cat that we could negotiate down to 130 was still a 170k cat in other words. And a 140k cat we could negotiate down to 100k is still a 140+k cat.
That does suck. Still, I'll take a 170K cat. So maybe, just maybe, there's hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
These owners / brokers seem for the most part to ask pristine condition prices on a poor shape or needing refit boats. Only to have them sit on the market for years deteriorating worse each month. One had a structural crack that spanned 17' straight across its 24' beam
And that's why these boats are still on the market. I'm not sure how this stuff works, but can you share surveys? For instance when I purchased my duplex, we were privy to the previous inspection report...
Old 26-10-2013, 07:31   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Well, I just posted this in my Cheap Mutihulls thread. This is the one.
Catamarans for Sale: Basic Preview of Catamarans

Helluva deal for $110K. Newer engines, sails
So, here's the story.

She's already under contract. There were issues on almost every system. Paint, rigging, water maker, etc. Apparently there were 4 partners on it that "didn't take care of her too well."

From the broker's mouth "The idea is that you buy her and put $70K into her, and she'll be ready to go." That's pretty extreme.
Old 26-10-2013, 08:07   #33

I'm in a similar situation with a similar budget. Heres my thoughts. Finding a turn key boat will be difficult at best. Not many people buy boats to sell (flip) them and when they do, the upgrades are not quality. They're just looking to make a profit. I'd avoid that. Finding a boat that needs work is a way better option in my opinion. $150 purchase price plus $50K in upgrades/retrofit acomplishes two things. (1) It should make you blue water ready with nice equipment, and (2) It allows you a chance to get to know the vessel better and what component will need to replace next. If you can't/don't enjoy tinkering with your boat, you will hate sailing. We all like to help others, hand tools down into the engine compartment and what not, but the reality is that our turn to break something is coming soon. Its the nature of the beast.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 08:11   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
$150 purchase price plus $50K in upgrades/retrofit acomplishes two things. (1) It should make you blue water ready with nice equipment, and (2) It allows you a chance to get to know the vessel better and what component will need to replace next. If you can't/don't enjoy tinkering with your boat, you will hate sailing. We all like to help others, hand tools down into the engine compartment and what not, but the reality is that our turn to break something is coming soon. Its the nature of the beast.
This is definitely the plan. I don't mind sinking a bit of time/money into a boat. But, at the end of the day I really need to limit that to $200K of money and no more than a month or so of full-time refitting.

Please do come back and post what you find, I would be grateful to hear how you're going about the process and what you find.
Old 26-10-2013, 08:38   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomadTrip View Post

This is definitely the plan. I don't mind sinking a bit of time/money into a boat. But, at the end of the day I really need to limit that to $200K of money and no more than a month or so of full-time refitting.

Please do come back and post what you find, I would be grateful to hear how you're going about the process and what you find.
Than that Norseman isn't a bad deal at all....
Old 26-10-2013, 08:40   #36

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogan007 View Post
My 25c...you'd be better off taking a couple of years "out",SNIP
You may want to consider this general direction with lots of flexibility in the details. If you have lurked on multiple threads on this topic one recurring theme is that most folks take a lot longer to start cruising after they buy a boat than they planned at first.

Last November I bought a cat with the idea I would leave the Florida Keys where I bought it and be in the Bahamas for Christmas. I have cruised the boat in the Keys, but not left the US.

Living on the boat has been a great experience and I do think this Christmas I will be in the Bahamas. I have done some work on the boat but it was mostly turnkey. As an example I put in two mast steps. The boat has a square top and the previous owner was 6'4" or so so he could reach the sail head to connect the main sheet, but at 5'8" I needed the extra mast steps . I also re routed the roller furrering for the screecher because the line was jumping off the pulley.

I have also spent lots of time sailing under different conditions. By this I mean how does the boat handle with the first reef in and the screecher up, or the working jib and the screecher up. I would much rather find out in 12 knots off Marathon than at 30 knots in the Tongue of the Ocean.

As an aside I have a friend who is kinda doing what I am in the harbor. One of his biggest problem is getting his head working right. I am very happy with my composting head. These are the kinda things you will be discovering in the first few months on a new boat. My feeling is I would much rather be doing this in the US where parts are cheap and available and while sailing I know Sea Tow is just a CB call away.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 08:42   #37

Quote:
Oh, I'm waiting for kids to get finish HS, so I am just day sailing & arm chair cruising for now.
Old 26-10-2013, 08:52   #38
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Our old Solaris Sunstar 36 is coming up for sale in Port Aransas. May be to small for you but should be in good shape.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 09:21   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
Than that Norseman isn't a bad deal at all....
True, but it's under contract.

And the broker probably underestimated the cost to fix it up. I'd argue that if the estimated cost to fix it is $70k (by the folks selling it), you'd probably find yourself in the $100k range. And if that's the case, there are a few other options closer, in similar circumstances.

I'm especially hesitant when the broker mentions it needs serious work.

-Nate
Old 26-10-2013, 09:23   #40

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Our old Solaris Sunstar 36 is coming up for sale in Port Aransas. May be to small for you but should be in good shape.
Love the looks of the solaris and havw never heard one bad thing about them.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 10:02   #41

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Quote:
True, but it's under contract. And the broker probably underestimated the cost to fix it up. I'd argue that if the estimated cost to fix it is $70k (by the folks selling it), you'd probably find yourself in the $100k range. And if that's the case, there are a few other options closer, in similar circumstances. I'm especially hesitant when the broker mentions it needs serious work. -Nate
You don't need a boat in brand new condition to start cruising. In fact it's better to get that fixer upper and figure out what you want as you go. It's also better to have older stuff that you may screw up before you learn the boat.
If the Norseman is structurally sound, I say make a full price offer and start your cruising!!
Seems like a great deal! I'd be all over it if I didn't have my beloved Cat2Fold now!
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 11:58   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I'd be interested in looking, surely.

Can you PM me a bit of info, or direct me to a listing (once it's up)?
Old 26-10-2013, 12:54   #43

Thanks for not flaming me!!
My background is working in various third world, tropical island paradise's for over 15 yrs. Observed many USA tourists arrive on vacation and get smitten. Went home, sold everything, moved and...after ~6-12 mths were moving back home, or miserable. They got out of their system whatever it was...and then missed the cultural basics of home. Not always comforts...but everything you take for granted. That electricity and water are available on demand. Customer service is polite. As a rich white person, you're respected... All the small stuff.
I used to caution them to dip a toe in the water....but not sell everything, or spend everything. Keep a base at home....you may be returning sooner than you think....or live a dual center life for a few yrs...3-6mths in Paradise...the rest at "home".
I briefly considered doing what you're planning...got to looking at some boats...then one marina manager sat me down and told me basically the same thing. { Don't cash in your assets/life. Instead, rent a boat for a year. See how you like it all. After a year, most folks will be sick of it. That year's charter cost will seem like a REALLY cheap lesson. } I listened to him...and have always thanked my good fortune in meeting him. But I admire your cohones and wish you luck.

Quote:
Fair point. I think it's a little of both, but that could be delusional. I plan on trying a large ocean crossing before taking off, for the reasons you mentioned.

If you don't mind me asking - what is your experience, what made you head that direction in your comment?
Brogan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 13:48   #44

Where do you rent a boat for a year? Say Annapolis it would cost ~ $2k week, ~$100k/year that's pretty steep... Surely you could buy a 30 something footer and sail away (coastal) and have at least a hull to show for it at the end... ?

I'm genuinely curious as I have the money for the 40ft boat, working on the "kitty" as they say, but if I can rent for less than the boat, maybe I'll be "out there" sooner... ?
toggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 14:20   #45

How about this, for starters.

http://longtermcharters.com/our-fleet.html

There HAS to be a load of folks who never use their boat, who'd jump at being paid to charter it for ~ year. Insurance coverage and hefty deposit would seem like a must.
It's just a concept...not an offer. Just trying to think outside the traditional...box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggles View Post
Where do you rent a boat for a year? Say Annapolis it would cost ~ $2k week, ~$100k/year that's pretty steep... Surely you could buy a 30 something footer and sail away (coastal) and have at least a hull to show for it at the end... ?

I'm genuinely curious as I have the money for the 40ft boat, working on the "kitty" as they say, but if I can rent for less than the boat, maybe I'll be "out there" sooner... ?
Brogan007 is offline   Reply With Quote