Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2013, 19:10   #61
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Im going to politely disagree on this point as condition is meaningless if its a boat your just not comfortable on.
For example we looked at a seawind 1000. And found it to be a comfortable weekender or 1-2 week tripper but could never comfortably live aboard. We passed up a very nice one @115k. Almost bought it just to flip it.
And as prior posters said if your 6'3 you dont want to live on a boat that has 5'11 of headroom.
I would agree that it's meaningless to consider a boat that doesn't interest you even if it's in great shape. Having lived aboard Seawind 1000's for well over two years we found it to be one of the most livable boat we've had. Don't get me wrong, it's not a condo like cat but that isn't what we look for in a boat. To me the Seawind brought the outside in. The salon/cockpit was roomy and has unbelievable views. There is fantastic ventilation through out the boat. And it is a simple boat with simple systems. All things I look for in a boat. But I can also understand why it wouldn't suit someone else.
I am 6'4" and have no problem living in a boat with reduced headroom. I understand for some people that may be a problem, but it's something I got used to over twenty years ago and it's something that has never really bothered me.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 22:55   #62

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Need a cat, <$200K, 38-42ft, help

Quote:
Im going to politely disagree on this point as condition is meaningless if its a boat your just not comfortable on.
For example we looked at a seawind 1000. And found it to be a comfortable weekender or 1-2 week tripper but could never comfortably live aboard. We passed up a very nice one @115k. Almost bought it just to flip it.
And as prior posters said if your 6'3 you dont want to live on a boat that has 5'11 of headroom.
I did point out that not everyone would agree with my assessment of a Seawind. I have lived on the boat since last November at Boot Key and have met several friends who have invited me on several catamarans.

One in particular was an FP. I really liked the folks on it but several times I found myself defending them because they tended to run the genset at times that disturbed folks who were moored close to them.

I also posted you need to look for boats you are interested in. One thing I have noticed is some folks seem to think their boat is the only one, while others seem to find the good in any boat they are around. Things like AC, hot water showers, genset to support microwaves, freezers, and a whole host of other things seem to be mandatory for some and out of the question for others. Different strokes for different folks.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 04:09   #63

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Sorry Tom I guess I misunderstood the context if your post. The Sw1000 is a great boat and if it was just me id of gone for it. I guess for us we wanted the best of both worlds, a roomy comfortable inside area where we can get out of the elements and seclude ourselves comfortably in front of a tv or computer in some ac, and a large liveable cockpit, tramp etc. Just cruious what type of sailing performance are you guys getting with the seawind?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 14:23   #64

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Sorry Tom I guess I misunderstood the context if your post. The Sw1000 is a great boat and if it was just me id of gone for it. I guess for us we wanted the best of both worlds, a roomy comfortable inside area where we can get out of the elements and seclude ourselves comfortably in front of a tv or computer in some ac, and a large liveable cockpit, tramp etc. Just cruious what type of sailing performance are you guys getting with the seawind?
I have a square top and a new screecher. There is an fboat in the harbor that is faster. Also a Shuttle worth that probably (depending on skipper and crew) is faster up wind, fairly close on a reach. If I pull up the outboards and play around with the traveler I sail away from just about everything else. Also keep in mind performance is much more a function of the guys trimming the sails and the guy at the helm than the boat.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:03   #65

Boat: Roberts and Caine Leopard 40

I had the same budget and purchased a 2006 Leopard 40 on phase out from the Moorings. I spend several weeks in Tortola making sure all issues in the survey were addressed. They were and I have very satisfied with the boat in all regards.
AquaLeopard40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:17   #66

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaLeopard40 View Post
I had the same budget and purchased a 2006 Leopard 40 on phase out from the Moorings. I spend several weeks in Tortola making sure all issues in the survey were addressed. They were and I have very satisfied with the boat in all regards.
This is interesting...

That would seem to be an excellent deal on the surface. Would you mind cluing me in - on the list price, and what you needed to do to make it "cruisable"?

I only ask because I've seen a couple of ex-charter boats come up. So far I've steered clear, but I'm curious. A PM would be cool too, if that's better. Thanks for the input!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:29   #67

It was in the $200K range. There is a 2006 being offered now at $206K. Mine game with a ding/motor, electric head and inverter, which most don't. Check with the Moorings brokerage.

My boat was given a one year old main sail, new bottom pain, significant engine repair and new GPS/plotter prior to me taking delivery.

Next year I'm taking the boat to the ABCs and will outfit the boat with an EPIRB, New plotter with AIS, Radar, solar and LED lights. I have already repaved the house batteries and have a new genoa on order.

When I'm not using the boat I charter it out. The genoa that game with the boat was the original and will make it through this season of charter, but will then be done.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03   #68

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Some of those charter boats can be excellent deals. Remember their asking price is just what their throwing.out there. You can someti.es save quite a.bit.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:09   #69

Is it usd or euro
Gpolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06   #70

USD and yes they will move a bit.
Old 13-11-2013, 23:05   #71

Try this: more JOY everywhere!: Operation BABSAM
eatarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 17:35   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatarter View Post
Talk about a project. I'd consider it, but it would be a **** to refit all electronics (in Panama especially). I don't even know where to start.

Anybody have thoughts on how much it would take to refit that boat with ALL NEW electronics? Including labor?
Old 21-11-2013, 17:38   #73
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomadTrip View Post
Talk about a project. I'd consider it, but it would be a **** to refit all electronics (in Panama especially). I don't even know where to start. Anybody have thoughts on how much it would take to refit that boat with ALL NEW electronics? Including labor?
Sounds to me like your interested but trying to beat the price down? :-)
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 17:39   #74

So I've had a couple of boats come to the forefront:

An older Privilege 39' (posted on the forum here too): 1992 Privilege Catamaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

And a 42' Lagoon TPI, here: LAGOON 42 - San marlot - San Marlot

Honestly, I'd prefer to wait a couple of months, and I know it'll be a PITA getting them surveyed, hauled, and outfitted in Mexico. Anybody have thoughts on these boats?
Old 21-11-2013, 17:41   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Sounds to me like your interested but trying to beat the price down? :-)
I'm not ruling it out, but there are a number of better equipped boats for pretty darn cheap if I'm willing to do something in another country. See my recent post for boats I'm looking at.

Those boats are 80-90% ready for a bluewater cruise. Joy may be 50%. There's a cost to my time, my stress, and the repairs.