Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2008, 19:49   #16

Yes, there were a few things as with any new boat, some were taken care of around delivery, there are several things I am waiting on warrantee to allow me to fix on island. The boat sailed wonderfully and was comfortable very easy to operate by myself.(Wife gets seasick). We did have to motor a lot heading south this time of year and the fuel economy is great. The issues would have been fixed already but i am waiting for the green light from Manta so I don't void any warrantees. Here is a link to videos we took on the trip. Yes, they are very silly! and very slow to load. 90% of the trip has some footage. Nothing is to be copied or used without my permission in writing. MobileMe Gallery
Captainadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 20:19   #17

Jen tells it best ;D
MobileMe Gallery
Old 02-09-2008, 14:34   #18

Open ocean passages on a Manta?

Can some owners chime in on first hand experiences crossing the Pacific, Atlantic or similar in a Manta 42? Performance, safety, comfort issues etc?

Also, has anyone looked into refitting the the gib onto a furler? I'm not even sure if this can be done, but would be nice to clear out the tramp area and run furling lines back to the helm.

Thanks in advance.

Great thread!
cbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 15:20   #19

The jib is perfect don't change it. The tramps are clear as the anchor chains hang down the middle there is one tramp on either side. Hoist the jib to get it out of the way. The boats have a roller furling spinnaker if you find one with that option. This style jib I think allows the boat to point better. Everything on the newer mantas is remote mounted into the cockpit. I single hand the spinnaker, also "easy easy" all of the other sails operate with a wrap of the line and a push of a button. We took ours from Sarasota through the Abacos, Bahamas to the Turks, DR, Puerto Rico, and the VI's. The boat does not like motoring into the seas. Motoring it starts to bang at hard 4 to 6 foot waves. Off the waves with the sails up she's nice and easy at most we saw a 9 footer. Every cat bangs head into it. I just flew to Trinidad and there was a 40 foot manta at the dock. They do get around.
Old 02-09-2008, 15:49   #20

Sounds good, I'll take your word on the jib. Curious to hear more about "motoring into seas..." I assume most cats bang in 4-6' waves when motoring directly into them. Is there something about the Manta that makes this particularly bad?
cbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 16:04   #21

How much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainadam View Post
I own a 2008 Manta and may sell it.
Captainadam, how much are you asking for your Manta? You can reply here or just private message me. Would you also be open to a possible partnership or business venture with the boat?
sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 19:35   #22

I don't guess you would want to trade for a real nice house in Newport News VA.
decktapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 20:18   #23

I think with all boats there are tradeoffs, I purchased the manta for a lot of reasons, one of them is with a 21 foot beam I can get a haul-out almost anyplace and I don't have to rent a double wide slip. The tradeoff is less interior space. The higher the bridge deck the bigger the seas before they hit the middle, That said the higher the bridge deck the more windage one has and the higher off the water one is the more movement one tends to feel in the cockpit. I think the way the boat is cambered underneath helps a lot compared to a flat bridge deck. I believe an arch is a lot stronger than what is seen in most cats... If you have a high speed connection look at the 2 links I put in the other posts, there are videos of the boat under sail and under power. there is a lot of junk to wade through to find pictures of the boat in motion. the one that says "jen" shows the jib and tramps real well. with a cat in seas the water going to go. "BANG" part of the beast with all of them. Its like saying mono hulls heal over. A part of life. Again the higher the boat is off the water the bigger the seas have to be to slap. In the Manta i mostly saw the harder slapping when motoring into the wind, she was a different animal with the sails up. We were cruising with a mono hull Ericson about the same size and they were hobby horsing and their interior was all thrown about. In the same sea a glass of water stayed on our table, and we were able to cook lunch on the stove.
Adam
Old 02-09-2008, 20:40   #24

We will have to talk in private. I am on the edge because if the condo sells I will be comfortable with the future and will be able do some cruising. That said I will listen. I am looking into realtors this week.

To deck tapper: HA!! Maybe trade it for the condo if i can sell the VA property real fast.. GRIN!! The real-estate ferry has left the building. We are all stuck with shore side property. Besides doesn't it snow in VA? I cant get in the sea unless it is over 80 degrees. Our air conditioner is set to 85. HA!
A.
Old 03-09-2008, 16:49   #25

Or trade for property?

Quote:
Originally Posted by decktapper View Post
I don't guess you would want to trade for a real nice house in Newport News VA.

I've also got a very nice 13.10 acre lot in Park City, UT if anyone is interested in trading a very nice cat for....?
sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 17:00   #26

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundowner View Post
I've also got a very nice 13.10 acre lot in Park City, UT if anyone is interested in trading a very nice cat for....?
Start a new thread.

I have some property to trade too!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 21:10   #27

pirate Not good,

Yes, maybe the housing market will come around again in another 10 to 15 years? I spent the whole day puttering around the boat. I love tinkering! The speakers have been upgraded to bose invisible flush mount speakers inside and the water proof flush ones will be mounted through the hard top so you only see the grills. Those box ones the manufacture puts in tends to vanish into the Caribbean. The TV and PSIII is getting hooked up to the stereo, After that a different ssb antenna to get mounted on the arch so i can use the frame for the ground plane and get the antenna away from where I sit because when jen transmits and i am sitting next to the antenna my hair stands on end... JK Not really... but i can make popcorn HEH
Old 06-09-2008, 10:18   #28

Boat: Lagoon 37
I know of a Manta 38 which is for sail. Treated very well and extremely well taken care of!!! Send me an e-mail for more info
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 18:30   #29

Manta Catamarans out of business

Just found this thread.......(1/11/09) In case you haven't heard (either here or on other forums), Manta has ceased operations.

I had a lengthy telephone conversation today with someone that had been "close" to the company that says the new owner (Keith?) has himself finished the last boat in the works, and that is that. All of the employees were let go suddenly (no warning whatsoever) sometime in November I believe.

I too was extremely interested in a Manta, but alas now, not a new one! Incidentally, the Ocean Catamaran, manufactured in SC is VERY interesting in that the Manta was apparently inspired by the Ocean Cat. It's 49', but still has virtually everything that the Manta offers, including the ability to get a "bare hull" and finish it yourself to save some cash.

Ray K.
Kleenax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:48   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenax View Post
Just found this thread.......(1/11/09) In case you haven't heard (either here or on other forums), Manta has ceased operations.

I had a lengthy telephone conversation today with someone that had been "close" to the company that says the new owner (Keith?) has himself finished the last boat in the works, and that is that. All of the employees were let go suddenly (no warning whatsoever) sometime in November I believe.

I too was extremely interested in a Manta, but alas now, not a new one! Incidentally, the Ocean Catamaran, manufactured in SC is VERY interesting in that the Manta was apparently inspired by the Ocean Cat. It's 49', but still has virtually everything that the Manta offers, including the ability to get a "bare hull" and finish it yourself to save some cash.

Ray K.
Is there any truth in this? he has 1 post....
malovich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manta