Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 16:19   #196
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Lagoons Have Cheap Brass Thruhulls

People, including experts can rabbit on all they like.

folks the proof is in the eating, 1000s of untinned wire boats are sailing around for many many years. Ive have 7 boats, mostly very old, all had untinned wire, none suffered any significant corrosion, in fact all were damm good in fact.

The worst was win I had a Fourwinns, most of that stated to rust away in France. ( particularly the crappy aluminum calorifier, replaced that with a good German brand)

The fact is, if this was a general problem, given the 1000s of such boats out there , they'd be a hue and cry, there isn't one, in fact on European forums, this never comes up.

Dave
Old 02-04-2012, 15:49   #197

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow
People, including experts can rabbit on all they like.

folks the proof is in the eating, 1000s of untinned wire boats are sailing around for many many years. Ive have 7 boats, mostly very old, all had untinned wire, none suffered any significant corrosion, in fact all were damm good in fact.

The worst was win I had a Fourwinns, most of that stated to rust away in France. ( particularly the crappy aluminum calorifier, replaced that with a good German brand)

The fact is, if this was a general problem, given the 1000s of such boats out there , they'd be a hue and cry, there isn't one, in fact on European forums, this never comes up.

Dave
Good point Dave ... Man I would hate to think this would become a big issue for me, but the truth is that exactly that ... Statistically and in relation to the number of boats built ... How much of an issue is this really?
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 15:52   #198

Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us
IT'S A TROLL, SMELLS LIKE A TROLL, DEFINATE TROLL Propagated by negative people, sad really. Good one IMPI we leave for Europe tomorrow and will be on board our possible choice on Friday, See you somewhere soon on a LAGOOOOOOON!!!!
Wow.... Time to pick up the new Lagoon .... Man ... You guys are going to be thrilled and we sure will be looking out for you on the water!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 18:49   #199

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36

When I built my Roberts 36 in the early 80's, i used untinned wire...didnt actually know any better. my brother in law was an electrician and did most of the wiring, and he put most of it in conduits with proper junction boxes, so maybe that's why it remained fine after 16 years in the tropics. I sold the boat in 2001, she is on the market again by the guy I sold it to. As far as I know the wiring has not been redone.....I did however use correct bronze seacocks, and bonded them all to earth. No problem with them either.....although it did kill me to drill holes in a perfectly water tight hull, so it was one of the very last jobs I did.

I am hoping to purchase a cat in the next 12-18 months, so I would definitely want bronze, or resin type sea cocks....not so sure about tinned or untinned wire being a show stopper.

its been a mostly interesting discussion so far......
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 16:28   #200

So... now we all have that off our chests. Lets discuss brands of through hull fittings. The best and the not so goods. Apparently Brass is not at the top of the list. Arew there any that will last past the 5 year ISO standard? Are there ones to steer well clear of. Looks like I have something on top of my list of things to do once we buy our beloved 440. Geez I have a list of things to do before I am a boat owner.... this list gets smaller and smaller right? (That was a joke, seriously, I was joking)
HimHerBoySissy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap