Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2014, 16:26   #106

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Isn't Morecambe Bay mostly sand and/or mud? This is what beachable cats are made for. I'll bet that Lagoon would have been fine there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Morecambe_Bay,_abandoned_car.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	88526  
Old 20-09-2014, 16:28   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Isn't Morecambe Bay mostly sand and/or mud? This is what beachable cats are made for.
Not from a 25-35 foot drop.........one second your on top and the next your banging the bottom.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 16:31   #108
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Guys, whilst the semantics are going on, the fact remains that the evidence shows a fairly poor below waterline layup.

Now, I like Lagoons and for that reason, its a bit of a shock to see production models not be what they oughtta be!

I dont care how many cross oceans safely.......... it only took one leak in Concorde to end an illustrious safety record that screamed of more luck than good design.

This is not good, and certain circumstances NOT SAFE. This is the reality. I dont care if you all want to argue what Minaret actually meant, it doesnt change the fact that its not a strong or adequate hull.

I have crossed them off my list. I have grounded very hard in my time, and Im concerned that if I had been in this vessel, it would have been a poor outcome.

Try the Morcambe Bay in England for grounding. Tide will pull water out from under you and hit the bottom very hard......several times.

It's a shame that you would allow some pictures and a bunch of bickering on a forum to rule out a boat. Lagoons aren't on the top of my list, but it's not because of the basic construction. I've always thought they were generally laid up well, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 16:41   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
It's a shame that you would allow some pictures and a bunch of bickering on a forum to rule out a boat. Lagoons aren't on the top of my list, but it's not because of the basic construction. I've always thought they were generally laid up well, but I could be wrong.

I dont like to "think", I like to be sure. The bickering has nothing to do with it. The pictures tell the story. Its not a strong composition at a critical point.
The sad thing is that its quite likely a lot of well known production boats have the same build technique.
Only a repair shop would know that and Im sure a lot of them are not permitted to discuss it.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 16:45   #110

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:

Pictures of a boat's laminate schedule below the waterline, exposed through other's mishaps, seems a perfectly good reason to rule out a boat, if that boat isn't laid up in a way that the buyer thinks is proper.

Indeed, internet bickering is not a good reason to rule one out.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-09-2014, 17:15   #111

I don't like bickering either, but when pictures or videos show up as proof, it helps me decide who was right, if common sense or logic hasn't already made the decision. It's sad to see such cost saving measures, especially when these things cost so much.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 17:18   #112
smj

I see the pictures but all I see is a boat that was destroyed on a reef. I've done numerous fiberglass projects and worked for a multihull builder for awhile but I'm not able to decipher what would constitute a bad fiberglass job. Could someone walk me through the picture and tell me what is wrong?

Old 20-09-2014, 17:37   #113

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
I see the pictures but all I see is a boat that was destroyed on a reef. I've done numerous fiberglass projects and worked for a multihull builder for awhile but I'm not able to decipher what would constitute a bad fiberglass job. Could someone walk me through the picture and tell me what is wrong?

I never said it was a bad job. I said if the buyer thought it was a bad lay up, then the pictures of it are good enough reason to rule it out. It's relative to what the buyer wants or expects.

Edit: for the record, I just think the lay up is thin.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-09-2014, 17:49   #114

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:

Check again the picture from the lagoon destroyed and try to figúrate the lamination thicknes, my 2 cents no more than 6 mm.
Someone mention Catana, well they are cored to the bones and with a ridiculous thin exterior skin, someone mention twaron and kevlar, Catanas are very fragile against groundings or collisions, i know that because each year one or two get wrecked by chárter partys here in St Marteen , i see one with a starboard bow almost gone due a dock collision.

Kevlar? this remind me the history of a full kevlar hull 45 racing yacht sunked some time agoo due a broken mooring , boat reach the rocks and get holed , sunk in shallow wáter , the owner decide to recover the boat and bring it to the boatyard , almost any fiberglass resin epoxy expert in the island refuse to make a try with the kevlar, no idea why ,maybe Minaret know better about this, one of the experts say its imposible to postcure repair Kevlar in any way , result?? we tow the boat 15 miles offshore and sunk it.. Owner decisión.

Most yacht builders have hull samples from trhuhulls installations , i have the layup Schedule from my boat, hull and deck, keel ballast, Wood used in the construction , bulkheads , etc... or you can walk in any boatyard ,with some luck you can found the boat of your dreams with some open hole in the hull ready for a new trhu hull, now ask yourself if this enough or not..
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 19:28   #115
smj

Not sure if I could determine the exact hull thickness from the photo as there's really nothing to dimensionally compare the thickness with. Maybe it's a production boat thing but I remember an Island Packet, probably mid to upper thirty foot range that was brand new and it ran into a sunken steel monohull. I was really surprised when I saw the boat on the hard as the hull thickness below the waterline was probably 6mm or about 1/4". Really surprised me as I thought they were built like tanks.

Old 20-09-2014, 19:34   #116

Quote:

This is the pic I'm referring to. Almost like a snapshot of the other one, halfway through the hull pounding process. Do you feel this is a strong hull?

Old 20-09-2014, 19:38   #117
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
This is the pic I'm referring to. Almost like a snapshot of the other one, halfway through the hull pounding process. Do you feel this is a strong hull?

Honestly it's kind of hard to tell when we don't know exactly what type of pounding it took right?
Old 20-09-2014, 19:53   #118

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Lagoon hull hole before installing thru hull, hummmmm!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4065_f570x380.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	88530  
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 20:05   #119

Quote:
Honestly it's kind of hard to tell when we don't know exactly what type of pounding it took right?
You can't look at what's left of the hull and make a determination if it's thick enough and/or the right layup schedule for that size of boat?

Maybe that pic isn't good enough detail, but if you could see it in person, I'm sure you'd form an opinion as to quality of construction based on what's there, regardless of how much pounding it took. A larger vessel would obviously require a thicker, stronger hull than a smaller vessel.

Isn't it possible to look at the thickness and type of hull construction and get a good idea if it's extremely rugged, or just about right, or too weak for that particular vessel? Or how it compares to other brands in terms of durability.
Old 20-09-2014, 20:07   #120
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Lagoon hull hole before installing thru hull, hummmmm!!
So would that be a 1/2" thru hull or an 1 1/2" thru hull? Once again, nothing to compare to

Tags
lagoon, Seawind, Thailand