Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 19:21   #61

Boat: 2 tris and others
Re: Just Purchased a Crowther 34 Tri Today!

Admiral, I would love to hear any details of my 33's early history. Patrick told me Paul Webb had it first and it raced out of Toronto, but that is about all I know. I purchased it in Miami and I know it had been in south Florida for at least 10 years.
Bruce
bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:28   #62

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I just purchased a used Yamaha 703 remote control for $130. It comes with the wires and cables but the cables are old and seem pretty stiff. The new style are more flexible and there is Teleflex also. I'll still need the install kit.

I'm not sure that I have a taller mast than spec. The PPO put in a used smaller one and it was upgraded 3 years ago. Maybe it's now the way it's supposed to be? I think it's around 54'.

High wind warning again today but out of the south this time so she should be fine. The adjuster says I'm supposed to be getting estimates from yards on the repairs which I will forward to Boat US. The haulout is an issue, I need a railway, or one of those new style extension boom forklift units or a 300 ton travel lift. There's Port Townsend or Tacoma. Am I missing something?
Old 03-12-2015, 07:38   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Is an in water repair a possibility?
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:53   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Is an in water repair a possibility?
I'm considering that. I'll need a dinghy. I'll ask around for a good beaching spot. It seems most of the facilities here in Port Orchard are marinas and not boat yards.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:14   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The sands at the west end of liberty bay are good I have beached my islander there for hull scraping in the past. As a side note in the railway marina we are protected from southerly winds by the bluff just across the road from the marina.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:17   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I'm considering that. I'll need a dinghy. I'll ask around for a good beaching spot. It seems most of the facilities here in Port Orchard are marinas and not boat yards.
I may be able to lend you a sea eagle se15 if it still holds air ( haven't aired it up for a coupe years its old but still works)
Old 03-12-2015, 09:33   #67

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

There is also Dagmar's in Everett, and I think crane set ups in Seattle and Bellingham.

If it is above the waterline a dinghy or dock will work but there are a couple things to do. A ground lift/emergency shutoff is essential to avoid electrocution hazards with power tools near the water. Taping tarp etc.. to the hull and using a dust catching system is equally important to keep dust off the water and beach.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:58   #68

Boat: Sea Clipper 10

Hi Sand Crab, Congrats on the new boat! Have to use 300 travel lift for multis up in PT runs $500 min. http://portofpt.com/wp-content/uploa...RATES-YARD.pdf. Not the most multihull friendly place but the yard's got a lot of good skilled people working there.
Thomaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:19   #69

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
I just purchased a used Yamaha 703 remote control for $130. It comes with the wires and cables but the cables are old and seem pretty stiff. The new style are more flexible and there is Teleflex also. I'll still need the install kit.

I'm not sure that I have a taller mast than spec. The PPO put in a used smaller one and it was upgraded 3 years ago. Maybe it's now the way it's supposed to be? I think it's around 54'.

High wind warning again today but out of the south this time so she should be fine. The adjuster says I'm supposed to be getting estimates from yards on the repairs which I will forward to Boat US. The haulout is an issue, I need a railway, or one of those new style extension boom forklift units or a 300 ton travel lift. There's Port Townsend or Tacoma. Am I missing something?
We lift al the boats at our multihull only club with a crane with slings . Your boat should be in the 3-4 ton range so a smaller mobile crane could work maybe 30-40 tons . if you have not done thia sort of thing before remember that the reach has to be calculated from half the width of the boat . I also agree that as it sounds like the Damage is minor ,that you can fix it quickly yourself. We had a start line collision at out regatta once tha punched a 3x3 hole in the main hall of a brown 40 .Hauled repaired and launched in one week. good luck
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 18:40   #70

I got a letter from Boat US telling me to get some estimates which I will do this week. It's been raining a bunch and is supposed to till Thursday so not much sailing for me. I'll get in touch with your suggestions for haulout and repairs.

An 8 HP Yamaha high thrust was posted on CL yesterday. It comes with that same 703 control that I already purchased and a steering wheel and a mounting box for that plus all the cables and wires. All of this for $650. That stuff is in the trunk of my car now. I'm about 99% sure I'll go for the twin engine setup. I think I might pass on the engine steering and can probably sell that for over $100. I can't see the point of having one engine steerable and the other not. Plus the steering box is really big and I don't have the room to put it. when I get to the repair stage I'll get another engine mounting bracket made. Now I think I want to sell both of the 703 controls and purchase a twin control setup.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:28   #71

Boat: Scout 30

If you have twins there's no reason to have steering on the motors. You can steer very effectively with the throttles.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 14:06   #72

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

SC, I feel for you trying to make all of these decisions. It ain't easy. One of the beauties of your boat is simplicity and light weight. The factor of power when you need to make headway against tide and wind is another. Always a dance, heh?

Balancing the needs of piloting and weight are a complex issue on light multihulls. One thing I might suggest is to slow the process down a little bit and give yourself time to learn the boat better and think out options very carefully.

I would not put two outboards on it for reasons above. Complexitiy and weight added to your platform. I know that tide can be a real issue up where you live. It can be ferocious. I also think that the wind storms being experienced up there lately are related somewhat to the El Nino year.

No matter what you put on her you will experience cavitation on long or short shaft outboards. I would not like to put an inboard into your boat either. The dance again, heh?

I know you are thinking that two outboards will help with tight maneuvering in tight spots. I think that is correct thinking. I know that many light multihulls use an outboard on a sled that can be lowered and raised when not in use. I am sure there is some engineering configuration that would allow you to also have the outboard swing on it's mount so that you could steer the boat more effectively. You could swing the motor probably 100 degrees and help tremendously in holding off or crabbing in. Personally, that is how I would go in your situation. It will cost money, time, and effort. I would also go for a more powerful motor. Personally I like the rebuilt diesel outboards in the 20+ hp range. Less worries for combustibility of Gas, can use diesel for your heater, rugged as hell, and pretty bullet proof.

I am exited for you and getting this great boat. Just so many ways to do things. Slow down and get it right would be the way I would do it. But then again I parked all of my money in money markets and missed the big bull run after 2010. Smile.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 15:06   #73

Quote:
I went out sailing yesterday for the first time. I clocked a record speed of 6.3 knots. I don't have wind instruments but it was pretty light. I figure I was going just about windspeed on a broad reach. We saw the weather moving in and it started to drizzle then sleet. I had a rough time backing into the slip this time. No matter what the offset motor keeps wanting to turn the boat. We ended up going in forward and then rotated the boat at the dock. It was raining harder when got to the car. I call that perfect timing.

I'm talking to a local guy about remote control for the kicker. I'll have to figure out a way to remove the motor because it's a major hassle installing this with the motor down on that bracket. There is also a 1990 Y9.9 with a remote on CL here but he wants $1650 and I'm thinking that's too much. I would attach this to the other side and have 2 motors. The PO kept it on a mooring so he didn't have all this tight maneuvering to do.

I meet the adjuster at 10 today. If it doesn't work out I'll see about unfiling a claim if that's possible.
Some of those remote engines are quite expensive new. That one is pretty old though. It would be very nice to get that worked out on a boat like that. Some even have power tilt.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 20:33   #74

Boat: Searunner Trimaran 25

If someone created a Crowther owners forum list (like the searunner one) I would follow that!
slowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:40   #75

SandCrab. I was thinking all those motor thoughts when I first got Terrapin too. After 35 or 40 daysails and a couple of overnighters, 3/4 singlehanded, I've come to respect the process and lightweight simplicity of having a centrally mounted non steering 9.9 high thrust outboard.

I got used to wind and tide and prop walk. And I plan for it.

Weight is the enemy. Jealously defend your ship's svelte honor!

I also have a small tiller right next to the motor, connected to the rudders with a series of blocks and 3mm Dyneema that makes maneuvering much easier....

paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase