Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2014, 20:50   #16

Boat: TBA
Re: Isara 50... :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
Our friends spent a lot of time on the Isara trying to figure out how the 45 would feel but like you, we weren't that taken by it. The architectural style was kind of interesting but the boat felt cold and not very inviting to be on. Teak is beautiful but HOT. There was a lot of hallway but very little closet or storage and the helm felt inaccessible. I understand the 45 is set up differently and much can be customized so maybe it was just this particular owners asthetic I didn't like. Lots of big open spaces with nothing to hold onto in any seas. It was well made and the lines were nice but not for us ( well never really was) but our friends reconsidered. I think all of us liked the Antares best but it is an awful lot of money.
Was the boat just too big internally or was it something else,finish,quality or materials they used
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 03:09   #17

Boat: Leopard 40

I thought the materials, fit and finish were nice as well as the lines and the arched architectural look in the salon was interesting.
Just the location of the helm up the curved stairs, access to the boom were not practical. The large salon is nice for hosting but in seas It seemed there wouldn't be anything to hold onto. The closet space for the berths were pretty small but I believe this particular owner wanted larger floor spaces and didn't care if there was much storage. The low beds I liked but you lose storage space. And overall, it felt like a Manhattan executive apartment you take your business buddies out for the weekend on and not very inviting or practical (to me). But much of that is asthetics and I am sure it could be configured differently. I would have liked to see the 45 with a lower, integrated helm, better boom access, and outside seating and storage where the back deck was empty.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 07:32   #18

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built
I can also recommend Graham Stimson. There are some solid opinions on here...knowledgeable sailors. As for dinghy storage on the open aft of the 45, look at drawings showing the dinghy planted on the deck itself (instead of hanging). The V of the dinghy hull is near the edge so part of it overhangs, leaving room to walk around the dinghy and access the aft steps. I think removable tall lifelines could be installed( ez snap in posts); one high line that goes over the dinghy. 2 lines or netting in place when the dinghy is in the water. It's one solution and would place the dinghy in a very safe position for crossing oceans. What other ideas can you guys come up with?
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:40   #19

Well I thought that the Isara at Annapolis was the best boat in the show by far and the owners version in Miami was amazing. I cannot understand anyone taking a look at the Isara 50 could honestly say that it did not knock their socks off!
Compared to a Leopard, Lagoon or Fountaine Pajot it is leagues ahead.. Grossly overpriced, you have got to be kidding me. Everything on the other brands is an optional extra! The Isara has everything you could ever wish for.
Generator, aircon, watermaker, hybrid, its well balanced.
At least they got it to the show, the guy said it only arrived on the ship about a week before.
The best boat in the show by far!
catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:13   #20
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Having had an earlier post of mine on the boat deleted, I won't be directly critical of the boat. Nevertheless I do think that propsective purchasers may wish to consider:

1. The effect of moving dinghy storage further aft - not just on the issue of protection for the dingy when underway, but on sailing performance/hobby-horsing by carrying that weight further aft.
2. What type of swivelling cranes would be required to store the dinghy on the aft deck.
3. How strong the large, closely spaced windows in the sides of the hulls would be in docking (plus the effect, if any, on fender placement); similarly, how well they would cope with taking large waves on the beam.
4. The extensive use of foam-backed, vinyl headliners and whether they may fail in time (becoming saggy) as occurred with various cats that commonly used the same in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Whether the vinyl headliner in the salon would improve or reduce access to the back of on-deck hardware should a leak develop.
5. Whether the sharp-edged joinery (and in particular, the hi-low table with minimal clearance to pass by) would pose any risk when the boat was underway.
6. Whether performance could have been improved by reducing the BWL and utilizing larger knuckles to increase interior volume only above the waterline ( similar to the Maverick, the new Leopards, etc.).

I recognize that many manufacturers are now moving towards sharp edges on interior joinerwork (it is certainly more 'modern' looking and cheaper to produce).
I realize that many manufacturers are now moving towards relatively large fixed portlights in the hull in order to make the cabins brighter. I realize that increased BWL increases the floor area in the hulls. I realize that the large, curved aft deck adds to the area available for exterior lounging, fishing, and BBQ-ing. I have no doubt that these decisions are market-driven and that these sorts of things are what many prospective purchasers want. However, are there any downsides?

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 14:31   #21

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule View Post
Well I thought that the Isara at Annapolis was the best boat in the show by far and the owners version in Miami was amazing. I cannot understand anyone taking a look at the Isara 50 could honestly say that it did not knock their socks off!
Compared to a Leopard, Lagoon or Fountaine Pajot it is leagues ahead.. Grossly overpriced, you have got to be kidding me. Everything on the other brands is an optional extra! The Isara has everything you could ever wish for.
Generator, aircon, watermaker, hybrid, its well balanced.
At least they got it to the show, the guy said it only arrived on the ship about a week before.
The best boat in the show by far!
Hey Cats. You say you saw the Isara 50 at Annapolis? was the boat completely finished? Because, perhaps that's why those of us who saw it at Miami weren't impressed. There was a ton of finish work to be completed.. and the Mast and rigging weren't installed..

Like one of the other posters said.. the circular staircase to the helm appears to be designed more for looks, rather than practicality. and the "chrome-work"? it seemed a bit over the top for my aesthetic taste. But, again.. that is a personal preference.

I also agree that the broad open space in the salon did worry me.. there was nothing to hang on to.

I was also a bit concerned with the solid wood floors. Now granted.. I LOVED the floors.. but, I wonder if the designer and the engineer actually got together at all.. because it just seems like all that heavy hardwood would be too much weight for the hulls.. something to think about. I also didn't care for the low beds... it wastes alot of potential storage area..

The one feature that I thought was amazing? the "prominade"!! really.. the deck.. all around the boat was incredibly spacious.. loved it.

Rumor has it that Bryguy's 45 is going to be at Annapolis this year... I'm definitely going to go take a look...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 15:27   #22

I just spent half an hour typing a reply, but lost it.
Anyway all that was not finished was the rig and the trampolines everything else was superb. I saw the other one with the rig on and trampolines at Annapolis.
The Miami boat was only dropped off the boat a few days before the show so at least they got it there. It is built in Taiwan and rigged here in the USA by local guy's.

Even with all that solid wood on board, if it is true what they say and the boat weighs 17 ton as I said before that is half the weight of the Lagoon 500!
There was nothing on board that looked cheap and I can not see any value in some of the comments I have seen. It is a shame that Isara are not on the forum to defend themselves. They appear to have done a great job as far as my partner and I are concerned.
Old 12-03-2014, 15:43   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Having had an earlier post of mine on the boat deleted, I won't be directly critical of the boat. Nevertheless I do think that propsective purchasers may wish to consider:

1. The effect of moving dinghy storage further aft - not just on the issue of protection for the dingy when underway, but on sailing performance/hobby-horsing by carrying that weight further aft.
2. What type of swivelling cranes would be required to store the dinghy on the aft deck.
3. How strong the large, closely spaced windows in the sides of the hulls would be in docking (plus the effect, if any, on fender placement); similarly, how well they would cope with taking large waves on the beam.
4. The extensive use of foam-backed, vinyl headliners and whether they may fail in time (becoming saggy) as occurred with various cats that commonly used the same in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Whether the vinyl headliner in the salon would improve or reduce access to the back of on-deck hardware should a leak develop.
5. Whether the sharp-edged joinery (and in particular, the hi-low table with minimal clearance to pass by) would pose any risk when the boat was underway.
6. Whether performance could have been improved by reducing the BWL and utilizing larger knuckles to increase interior volume only above the waterline ( similar to the Maverick, the new Leopards, etc.).

I recognize that many manufacturers are now moving towards sharp edges on interior joinerwork (it is certainly more 'modern' looking and cheaper to produce).
I realize that many manufacturers are now moving towards relatively large fixed portlights in the hull in order to make the cabins brighter. I realize that increased BWL increases the floor area in the hulls. I realize that the large, curved aft deck adds to the area available for exterior lounging, fishing, and BBQ-ing. I have no doubt that these decisions are market-driven and that these sorts of things are what many prospective purchasers want. However, are there any downsides?

Brad
^^^^Thoughtful post, Brad. Now wait and see what happens when good sense meets boat lust!

Sharp corners in a seaway=bruises, for sure. Handholds are cool, as well.

Cheers,

Ann
Old 12-03-2014, 18:08   #24

Boat: Lightwave 45

Quote:
Even with all that solid wood on board, if it is true what they say and the boat weighs 17 ton as I said before that is half the weight of the Lagoon 500!
I am a wee bit confused. According to the Lagoon website the lightship displacement of the Lagoon 500 is 17 ton which seems about right. It is about double the weight of performance 50 footers. If it was 34 ton I would have my doubts that it would even float.

These seem to be really heavy boats compared to others of a similar length.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 18:52   #25

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

So much to say...
As for the rumor of my Isara 45 being at the Annapolis boat show, I can't confirm or deny that...yet. I'm just hoping it's completed by then (I'm very realistic knowing that construction of anything typically goes past set deadlines).
I agree that the Isara 50's stairways to the flybridge are more for beauty than function. IMHO the 45 is a much superior design with a very safe stairway to the flybridge and a reasoable height for the boom. I'm getting no exterior teak on mine...zip! Don't want the weight or the maintenance. I'll admire other peoples teak after they've worked on it.
Let's get this straight: Isara isn't building a super light racing cat. It's a luxury boat first. But Coste design really is an excellent firm with an amazing history. The engineers on this project are also excellent, so the concerns about weight, hull design, and the dinghy being too far aft are all in excellent hands. Brad, I do appreciate your deep thought on those subjects; excellent post. Please note that there are only a few Isara's on the water. Many more coming as there are at least 3 orders with deposits on the 45 that I know of (ours is hull #3). No 45's have been built yet, so nobody knows how they sail. However, it's reasonable to think that they will sail similar to other condomarans (Lagoon 450, etc). And if you google those fat cats, they cruise right along quite nicely. No, they aren't Gunboats...they are cruising cats.
Cheers!
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 05:03   #26
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

bryguy, I wasn't suggesting that the Isara 50 was intended to be a performance cat - I was only noting some aspects of the design that I believed might adversely effect performance and stability even for a luxury crusing cat. That being said, you are right - nobody knows how they will sail and I suspect that the you are also correct, it will likely be no worse (and may well be better) than comparable Lagoons. Judging from the photos, the finish certainly seems to be a large step up from Lagoons.

Let's face it - all boats are compromises. The trick is to find one that best matches your own set of priorities and or whatever it may be worth, from the drawings I too prefer the 45 to the Lagoon 450. I am sure that you are incredibly excited about your new boat - I know I would be!

Cheers!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 11:31   #27

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Hey Cats. You say you saw the Isara 50 at Annapolis? was the boat completely finished? Because, perhaps that's why those of us who saw it at Miami weren't impressed. There was a ton of finish work to be completed.. and the Mast and rigging weren't installed..
I went aboard Isara 50 hull 1 at the Annapolis boatshow back in 2012. It was definitely a finished boat at that stage and looked good (apart from the spiral staircase which wasn't to my taste). If it is unfinished now it must have been taken apart for some reason.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 14:44   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Spiral Staircase? now I understand where the 17 tonne comes from.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 15:13   #29

Sorry, I should get my facts right,the Lagoon 52 is 26 ton lightship where the Isara 50 is 14 ton Light ship. (unloaded)
Old 13-03-2014, 15:36   #30

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule View Post
Sorry, I should get my facts right,the Lagoon 52 is 26 ton lightship where the Isara 50 is 14 ton Light ship. (unloaded)

And THIS is where things just don't add up... How is it the Isara has all that ADDED weight of hardwood.. and chrome... and teak decking.. solid wood cabinetry, etc...as well as "mechanics and rigging" ( which should weigh in a similar range as the lagoon..... ) and yet.. it still comes in at half the weight?????

So, I know I'm an amatuer here.. but, it seems to me that the only way to make it THAT much lighter is to really decrease the weight of the hulls... I mean, how ELSE would you bring it in under half the weight? and that scares me. I'd be afraid the whole boat would collapse in on it's self in rough seas...

I'm hoping someone more knowledable here will pop in and offer their thoughts
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote