Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2018, 09:38   #106

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: is longer really more expensive?

Had a look at Privilege catamarans several times at boat shows. The admiral did not like them - too old-fashioned she said. I am curious how they will evolve and bring up with the new owner.

She was more impressed by Fountaine Pajot's Helia / Lucia and some Robertson & Caine Leopards.

The Nautitech and the Outremar are out of scope because of the exposed helm and overall design of the salon / hulls.

Also the larger Lagoons were nice and the Xquisite X5 - but they are completly out of reach money-wise. The Antares was to her also too old fashioned and in general she prefers galley-up designs.

So we ended up with a nice Lagoon 400S2 owners version. Smallest we would go I think, not too old and well equipped.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 15:03   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Unfortunately I will have to do it all by myself. But the Admiral will assist hopefully with mixing the next batch and cleaning after. So I think I will need up to 4 days of intensive painting, a day per one side of a hull.

On the other hand - I will have no one to blame if it does not work as expected. So win-win!
Get the admiral in there with a roller. The epoxy antifoul certainly isn't as messy as the normal stuff. It isn't a hard job applying it, it's just the conflicting requirement to get it on thin, but use up each batch before it starts going off. It's quite runny too, so it really does need to go on thin.

And like all epoxy, once you get it spread out thinly the cure rate slows right down. So we did get to have breaks between coats.

It would really be worth it if you could find someone else to help.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 09:49   #108

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
In that case you might as well just buy a 40 something foot Privilege. Materials used for the interior were the same from the 395 right the way through to the 745. The only bare white plastic anywhere in the interior is in the heads. Everywhere else is wood or the fake hessian material.

Things have changed a bit since I was buying but, back then, Privilege and Catana were the only two makes of cat my wife would contemplate buying as all the rest looked cheap.
We did look at these but privilege haven't made a sub 50 boat in many years and it would be a bit too old for us.. We may have to think about going new and speccing the inside ourselves..

thanks
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 01:38   #109

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

That's true. It must be 4 or 5 years since they've advertised anything less than 50.

I once asked Catherine why they dropped the 395 as I thought that was the perfect boat for two. She said it took nearly as many hours labour to make the 395 as it did the then top of the range 585 and of course there was a lot more profit in the 585. They've just carried on that progression in terms of starter length by dropping the 445 and more recently the 495.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 14:48   #110

Sometimes you just can't afford the boat you'd really like...

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 15:21   #111

Is longer really more expensive? Yes, it is.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 17:28   #112

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Sometimes you just can't afford the boat you'd really like...
And sometimes you make up unrealistic criteria so you don't actually ever have to act on them.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 18:10   #113

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
And sometimes you make up unrealistic criteria so you don't actually ever have to act on them.
My wife tried that.
Fortunately for us her plan did not work.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 22:07   #114

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
That's true. It must be 4 or 5 years since they've advertised anything less than 50.

I once asked Catherine why they dropped the 395 as I thought that was the perfect boat for two. She said it took nearly as many hours labour to make the 395 as it did the then top of the range 585 and of course there was a lot more profit in the 585. They've just carried on that progression in terms of starter length by dropping the 445 and more recently the 495.
Very interesting point and makes sense.
so in other words larger boats are overpriced and people happy to go with it. That explains why lagoon is pushing larger boats and latest L 40 decrease in size to 39.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 23:07   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Well, I can tell that I have set "slightly" unrealistic criteria. But it all depends. I'm not interested in sailing on *any* boat (that's out of question), I'm not interested in sailing on boat with *too many* compromises (for me) either. So while I do understand that time flies by way too fast, for now I'm fine with waiting till my criteria will become less realistic for me (and that might go both ways - my criteria might change or my ability to meet that criteria might change).
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 03:57   #116

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

the more you want to sail, the less important the initial criteria will become. Just start cruising and refit what you need on the way.
Old 18-03-2018, 09:15   #117

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
Well, I can tell that I have set "slightly" unrealistic criteria. But it all depends. I'm not interested in sailing on *any* boat (that's out of question), I'm not interested in sailing on boat with *too many* compromises (for me) either. So while I do understand that time flies by way too fast, for now I'm fine with waiting till my criteria will become less realistic for me (and that might go both ways - my criteria might change or my ability to meet that criteria might change).
In other words it isn't your time to act now. When it is your time then criteria compromises will be more acceptable.

Then two years latter they will be forgotten and new optimum criteria will arise.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 09:35   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
I get what you are trying to say... however we would ALL love probably jump on the opportunity to have an 80 ft catamaran that is completely maintenance free, practically sails itself, has 9 berths and 7 heads, can run AC and every electronic we can think of from a single battery and only costs $45,000

If you ever do find "your" boat there will be a compromise on something. Otherwise you will be perpetually stuck in analysis/paralysis.

I doubt any house or car you ever bought was exactly perfect.
Gr8Jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 11:31   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Jeepin View Post
If you ever do find "your" boat there will be a compromise on something. Otherwise you will be perpetually stuck in analysis/paralysis.

I doubt any house or car you ever bought was exactly perfect.
Of course there's always compromise. The difference between me and other people here - I'm not a sailor. I'm not crazy about sailing and not ready to do it "no matter what". For me it's just way of traveling and having little house with me, like snail. And I want very basic comfort in that house, let say, level of comfort which was available in a regular house 60 years ago. Enough fresh water, enough electricity, enough space for tools so I can do repairs and maintenance (and I don't mind to do that, as I don't mind to fix my cars, houses etc.), for food and toys. And some features which only became available on relatively modern catamarans.

It turns out that even such basic level of comfort comes with hefty price tag on the boat. I actually don't care if boat has all the features I want - I only need few major ones, the rest I will have to add. I never seen one with all the features I want anyway. So the only "criteria" that stopping me from jumping on it right now - the price. And is slowly changing - boats of my interest get older and cheaper.

However, I do respect these who simply jumped on it without waiting, with no experience, buying what they can afford today ("Gone with Wynns" for example). Maybe I'm even a little envious.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote