Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2013, 23:24   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 310
Images: 14
Re: How wide is too wide?

I always thought a wide multihull was a good thing until I sailed a 32' cat which was 25' wide, her sea motion was uncomfortable as she wallowed in the swell
__________________

__________________
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 23:25   #17
Registered User
 
westsail374's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Durham, NC
Boat: Looking...
Posts: 318
Re: How wide is too wide?

Reading this thread, I get nightmares about trying to dock in heavy winds with huge amounts of windage on a multi and losing engine power.

CRAP IN THE FUEL!

AIR IN THE FUEL LINES!

Etc., etc.

Yikes.
__________________

__________________
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 23:38   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,651
Images: 3
Re: How wide is too wide?

Yeah.

Get a westsail.
__________________
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 01:13   #19
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,454
Images: 69
Re: How wide is too wide?

Find a marina that uses a sealift instead of a travelift, and width becomes a non-issue.

Sea-Lift - Diesel powered hydraulic trailers tailored to the marine repair and storage industry
__________________
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 05:22   #20
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,583
Images: 240
Re: How wide is too wide?

See ➥ Multihull Dynamics, Inc. - News Article
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 06:06   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail374 View Post
Reading this thread, I get nightmares about trying to dock in heavy winds with huge amounts of windage on a multi and losing engine power.

CRAP IN THE FUEL!

AIR IN THE FUEL LINES!

Etc., etc.

Yikes.
Dont panic...as a charter captain I run a lot of different cats and I think that for the typical cruising cat (meaning relatively heavy w fixed keels) the windage issue is way overstated by those not familiar w them. And of course you have twin engines and it is very unlikely they will both go out (although it did happen to me onece...submurged line in both props!).

However on lightweight high performance (boards not keels) multis windage can become a definate issue...w boards up they can become like a leaf on the water!
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 06:38   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 201
Re: How wide is too wide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
However on lightweight high performance (boards not keels) multis windage can become a definate issue...w boards up they can become like a leaf on the water!
That makes me wonder how effective "spoilers" or "spillers", if you will, would work on the lifted boards. I'm thinking of the ones used by small aeroplane pilots use to prevent the plane from lifting off in an Alaskan storm. It's basically a mesh bag around the wing (board, if applied to a boat) with some foam at the front to spill the airflow.

Obviously, it wouldn't remove the "weathervaning" because an area is an area, but I'm thinking it might prevent some of the sailing at anchor.

In any case, just a thought.

Edit: here's a piccy:
__________________
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 07:11   #23
Registered User
 
mark_morwood's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners
Posts: 206
Re: How wide is too wide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail374 View Post
Reading this thread, I get nightmares about trying to dock in heavy winds with huge amounts of windage on a multi and losing engine power.

CRAP IN THE FUEL!

AIR IN THE FUEL LINES!

Etc., etc.

Yikes.
Let me put your mind at ease. Most cruising catamarans are dramatically easier to manage in tight spaces than heavy, full keeled mono-hulls as they have two engines. (I have owned and cruised extensively on both types of vessels).

Two engines gives you a couple of key advantages:
- redundancy (two separate engines and two separate fuel systems)
- maneuverability - two engines the width of the boat apart, lets you do things you would not dream of trying in a mono-hull. If you haven't tried it, a useful analogy is a bob-cat where you can drive one set of wheels forward and one set backwards, spinning on the spot.

Mark.
__________________
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 07:17   #24
Registered User
 
mark_morwood's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners
Posts: 206
Re: How wide is too wide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
That makes me wonder how effective "spoilers" or "spillers", if you will, would work on the lifted boards. I'm thinking of the ones used by small aeroplane pilots use to prevent the plane from lifting off in an Alaskan storm. It's basically a mesh bag around the wing (board, if applied to a boat) with some foam at the front to spill the airflow.

Obviously, it wouldn't remove the "weathervaning" because an area is an area, but I'm thinking it might prevent some of the sailing at anchor.

In any case, just a thought.

Edit: here's a piccy:
Interesting idea, but the issue is not lift generated from the board sticking up, but lack of board in the water to stop you blowing around. The answer is usually to just put one or both of the boards part way down. You can try to be very clever and just put one board down to move the pivot point of the boat while maneuvering from one hull to the other, but the few times I've tried it really wasn't worth it.

Mark.
__________________
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 07:23   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 201
Re: How wide is too wide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_morwood View Post
Interesting idea, but the issue is not lift generated from the board sticking up, but lack of board in the water to stop you blowing around. The answer is usually to just put one or both of the boards part way down. You can try to be very clever and just put one board down to move the pivot point of the boat while maneuvering from one hull to the other, but the few times I've tried it really wasn't worth it.

Mark.
I see. I thought "boards up" as if anchored somewhere where the boards down wouldn't be possible, or even (downhill) sailing with boards up.
__________________
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 07:26   #26
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
Posts: 5,717
Re: How wide is too wide?

If you stay under 20 feet wide you can fit in almost any travel lift at most any marina.
What we find is that it's not the travlel lift but the lifting well that is to tight to fit in even though there travel lift will lift us.

The bigger the traverl lift the more expensive it is for haul out.
__________________
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 07:40   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,172
Images: 15
Re: How wide is too wide?

Caracal

in my experience a properly sized (length?) bridle will stop anchor-sailing. And you don't have to put the boards full down to get benefit from them
__________________
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 07:50   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 201
Re: How wide is too wide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Caracal

in my experience a properly sized (length?) bridle will stop anchor-sailing. And you don't have to put the boards full down to get benefit from them
Thanks, I'm only now getting multihulls, but thanks for the suggestion. In my defence, I was responding to a post which mentioned the boards making the boat into a "leaf on the water"
__________________
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 07:56   #29
Registered User
 
mark_morwood's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners
Posts: 206
Re: How wide is too wide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
Thanks, I'm only now getting multihulls, but thanks for the suggestion. In my defence, I was responding to a post which mentioned the boards making the boat into a "leaf on the water"
No defense needed - it was an interesting idea.

I found the transition to a multi-hull interesting as you go from being concerned about the width to appreciating the width - whether for stability, or space for relaxing, to distance between the engines for maneuverability, to distance between the bows so an anchoring or mooring bridle is effective.

Mark.
__________________
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 07:59   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 201
Re: How wide is too wide?

Thanks, Mark
__________________

__________________
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C-Map Cartridges Wide vs Local Coverage SV Demeter Marine Electronics 10 05-04-2012 05:07
World Wide Anchorages theway General Sailing Forum 5 24-01-2012 00:23
Haulout - Tidewater Virginia: Too Wide for a Travelift ? ggray Multihull Sailboats 2 09-11-2011 20:06



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:56.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.