Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2013, 12:04   #91
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: How do you do it... (no AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Ok you cannot jump in the water to cool yourself off, -im doing this 3x a day, but for you i have an idea I tried and it works well- put 4-5 watermelon in your fridge cool them down and then take your pants off and climb in on top of them- -- it really works!
That looks funny..What we having for dinner honey?Find something in the freezer and lay it out to thaw..What about this,looks to be fresh,its still laying big green eggs and it aint freezer burnt! Throw it on the BBQ and hand me one of them big ,green eggs..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 13:06   #92

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
So if too hot, jump in ,the waters fine , at 300lbs. you will float.
I think you are jumping to the wrong conclusion here. Scoobert might just be "Big boned" and have 5 percent body fat and thus would sink. It is probably all that muscle mass burning all those calories making him hot.

I am curious, if one doesn't have A/C, where does one get the ice cubes from for the enema? Otherwise, couldn't he just leave the freezer open and cool off the cabin with that?
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 13:16   #93

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i have no idea how you can live without AC when it is blistering outside.
is it my Russian genes?
Most Russians I know do not own AC, and they love the heat! They come to Crimea and lay out like lobsters up and down the beaches in 40C.
Old 28-06-2013, 15:38   #94

Scoobert, you are a weenie, here is the temp inside my boat WITH tarps shading it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yay, finally over 100.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	63292

And the south Texas summer has just begun. How do I do it? I enjoy every second of it because I won't be shoveling snow next winter. And I have an old box fan I turn on when it gets over 90.

Removing my teak decks has made a huge difference ... I suggest you postpone improving your decks until after the summer, you might learn to hate them as much as everybody else who has removed them. If you want them to look nice for your party on the 4th then buy extra beer for your guests. I saw a picture of your decks, you'll need LOTS of extra beer.

All kidding aside, you should probably try some of the advice you have been given because apparently you are having heat stroke and are delirious - you have a monohull and have posted this in the multihull section. Just out of curiosity, how many hulls ARE you seeing?
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 15:46   #95

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipShape View Post

All kidding aside, you should probably try some of the advice you have been given because apparently you are having heat stroke and are delirious - you have a monohull and have posted this in the multihull section. Just out of curiosity, how many hulls ARE you seeing?
I was thinking the same thing! )
Old 28-06-2013, 15:54   #96

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
my dogs like to go outside too, but they manage to hold it until the right time.....
I just so almost did a not nice post.

Almost.
Old 28-06-2013, 16:07   #97
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

82 seriously? that is almost cool with a fan blowing. in clearwater you boat would probably be well over 100. we usually take advantage of mornings and evenings but the noonday heat is only good for mad dogs and englishmen.
Old 28-06-2013, 16:12   #98

Boat: 1978 Prout Quest 31

Work construction to feed the boat habit in Fl. Sweat, Sweat. Shade when possible , a bandana wetted with cooler ice melt wrapped around neck helps a bunch. Also a t-shirt dipped in ice water wrung almost dry and then worn will help greatly. I also wear a slouch bucket style hat and keep it wet. And then of course a nice towel to keep drying with. The problem in the tropics is the humidity... it doesn't evaporate, which is how our bodies cool themselves, so one must drop body temps with cool water and shade and moving air. Happy hour at a tiki bar until the sun gets a little lower in the sky works very well also. You can drink something besides achohol, most places don't mind if your spending some $$$
tybee22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 16:54   #99
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybee22 View Post
Work construction to feed the boat habit in Fl. Sweat, Sweat. Shade when possible , a bandana wetted with cooler ice melt wrapped around neck helps a bunch. Also a t-shirt dipped in ice water wrung almost dry and then worn will help greatly. I also wear a slouch bucket style hat and keep it wet. And then of course a nice towel to keep drying with. The problem in the tropics is the humidity... it doesn't evaporate, which is how our bodies cool themselves, so one must drop body temps with cool water and shade and moving air. Happy hour at a tiki bar until the sun gets a little lower in the sky works very well also. You can drink something besides achohol, most places don't mind if your spending some $$$
Your going to grow gills if you stay there much longer..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 18:06   #100

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: How do you do it... (no AC)

Did anyone suggest losing weight?

They did?

Good idea! Bet Scoobert hadn't thought of that.

Still, it's kinda rude.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 18:20   #101

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
It is disappointing to read of, and see boaters use plastic tarps. Another nail in the coffin of the beauty of boats and sailing.
Oh brother...give me a break! Me, personally, I'm on a budget and needed to do something quickly and inexpensively to reduce the temperature in the cabin of the my sailboat. I didn't have the time or money to buy acrylic or Sunbrella and make a beautiful, tailored sun awning. So I have silver, poly tarps over my boat. So F&*#ING what? Get over it. Oh...the loss of the beauty of boats and sailing. Please.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 18:27   #102

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Now, now you guys...no need to get personal on a la-la-land website. Take a Valium to calm down...for tomorrow is another hot day!

Mauritz
Old 28-06-2013, 18:30   #103

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: How do you do it... (no AC)

Better my sister in a whorehouse than my brother with a silver tarp.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 19:29   #104

Boat: Owens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I met a fellow once who had two english bulldogs and he would stick ice cubes in there butts to keep them cooled down,swear to it..If its really that hot one could get one of those Icee pops and, and, well you get the picture...
Get real, where the heck are you gonna find ice on a sailboat?

Honestly though, 20 years of construction in a very hot climate has taught me the value of long sleeve shirts. Especially the new generation fabrics runners wear(took up running last year to lose 60 lbs myself). Shade, air movement, hydration measured in gallons/day and no alcohol are the biggies. The cool gel neck wraps work good too.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 19:47   #105

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We refuse to sweat and try to sleep!! So we have a genny and AC or shore power and AC. As they used to say if ya can't stand the heat, get AC LOL At our advanced age, and liveing in south Louisiana ! 82 is winter time temps !! LOL We had 95 and 96 % humidity today! No way will I try to live with out ac on our boat.There are times at an ancorage when the breeze will cool ya just fine !! but when the bugs come with the breeze then ac again becomes a real help to some good sleep!! and for some of ya who complain about the gennys noise! Ya can't hear ours run unless your 15ft away from the stern of our boat LOL just this old folks 2 cents