Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2009, 11:33   #1

Hi from England - Some Advice, Please

Hi All,
Let me introduce myself. My name is Jon and after being a sailing fan all my life; My uncle used to own an Prout Snowgoose 37 ft and we had some great times sailing her across to England on summer holidays, for the last 20 years I have been dreaming about buying a sailing catamaran, I’ve finally decided to take the plunge so to speak. I’ve been searching the internet for the past few weeks and there is plenty of choice out there. That’s what brings me to my question... I’m looking for a new 35-45 foot sailing cat. I’ve found a few manufacturers and I wondered if anybody has had any dealings with them as in has anybody purchased any sailing cats from them? One manufacturer I found is Broadblue (www.broadblue.co.uk), and another one I heard some good things about over the years is a French company called Catana (www.catana.com). Anybody heard anything about Azimuth? I found their website last week (www.proutescale.com)and it seems that they got hold of the original Prout Escale 39 ft moulds!
There seems to be a lot to choose from and that makes it all the more difficult... I guess I can’t complain as choosing which new catamaran to buy is kind of a luxury problem so to speak. I hope someone can give me some advice!
Cheers,
Jon
Jon1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 12:02   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
welcome Jon

I would recommend a good search through Guide to multihulls, catamaran, trimaran and proa models; the designers and boat yards; easy-to-browse and objective information on multihull craft in order to get a feel for the different cats.

UK Cats like the old Snowgoose were build solid and rigging was set up so that they needed a good blow to get going in order to counter some of the adverse publicity from one particular brand of performance cat that that kept falling over.

These days the cats have divided into performance or load carrying. Obviously long distance cruising requires an ability to haul a lot of food, water and fuel. Other designs rely on speed to minimise the need for those stores. Obviously there are some that cross over this divide (for lots of €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€'s) So you need to work out what you intend to do with the boat, where, and how.
Old 14-08-2009, 13:06   #3

Thanks Talbot, I'll be checking that one out soon!
Jon1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 14:37   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Definitely look in to the Catana's

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 04:06   #5

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Do get in touch, and visit, Multihullworld at Emsworth, Portsmouth. A wide range of second hand Cats that will give a good idea of what will and wont work for you.
I'm in Southampton, Quayside Marina, on Quayside Road. There are four cats there at the moment, Prouts 31 and 33 ft and a big home built single hander, not for sale but more to see. P.M. if you are coming. Sound second hand lose price slower, are better equiped and usually more forgiving.
Old 16-08-2009, 08:03   #6

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
First let me welcome you aboard.
I have found this forum to be a great wealth of knowledge, I hope you do as well.
I do believe the new Prouts are either made in South America or China, so they are not the stout cat's you grew up with. I also heard Broadblue was having finacial problems (who isn't!!). Catana is an excellent boat but very costly. Look at purchasing one of the Multihull books at go over designs and advantages and disadvantages of those designs before you make your short list. Gregor Targon (spelling?) has a very good book that might help you.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 08:31   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
A few additional details for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott730 View Post
I do believe the new Prouts are either made in South America or China, so they are not the stout cat's you grew up with.
The Prout 45 are indeed made in the Far East, and there are some questionmarks about these - but there is a company in UK that has the Prout Escale moulds and may go into production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott730 View Post
I also heard Broadblue was having finacial problems .
Big problems, then looked like they were solved when Hillyards took them over - then Hillyards had their fire, and Broadblue looked finished, but has been resurrected by a partnership, one of whom is heavily involved in Multihullworld at Emsworth.
Old 16-08-2009, 11:36   #8

Last I heard some moulds had been bought by a consortium including owners of Multihullworld at Emsworth. I've got my boat so haven't followed this up at all but worth an enquiry. I 'think' they were considering putting the 385 model into production. An early order for bare hulls and hard rigging may get you a good deal that you can fit out to your own standards. The interior fit is something that can be done abroad to a good standard. Shipping eatwards from the UK is very cheap (empty vessels) by the big car carriers or as deck cargo.
Broadblue was in production for some ten years and made modern (wider) versions loosely based on the old Prouts but to new design and approvals. Query 'Blue Water' approval status. The current regs are virtually to fare carrying passenger standards and may not be worth the cost. Coastal (60 mils to safe haven) is more relaxed and cheaper to insure. I can't see insurance being of much use half way across any of the big oceans! so just accept the waiver.
If I had the money for a new boat I'd buy the youngest Prout Snowgoose I could find and put the rest in the cruising kitty. Modern 'Condo Cats' are great for visitors! Depends on your plans and expectations.
Old 16-08-2009, 12:07   #9

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Eleven
Your option is your option, but let's not miss lead Jon1954 with your obvious bias. There are plenty new or newer boats on the market that are just as sea worthy as your Prout. In fact I just met up with a couple who sailed from France to Florida via the Caribbean with their brand new 36' FP. The newer cat's maybe nice and roomy inside but they are also capable water sailing">Blue water sailing boats as well.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 12:33   #10

New FPs, Lagoons, and R&Cs are routinely delivered to Florida or the Caribbean on their own bottoms. There may be reasons not to like them or to prefer something else. But lack of ocean going capability is not one of them.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 12:52   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Does it have to be a cat in Europe? Dick at Maine Cat has a brand new 41 Maine Cat available Maine Cat 30 Overview (you have to arrow down past the MC30 to get to the MC41)

It will be faster than a similar length Catana, Broadblue, Lagoon, Voyage, etc with no bridgedeck slamming, but it does not have as many of the luxuries, like Corian countertops or suede furniture.

and, Yes, of course I'm biased!
Old 16-08-2009, 13:47   #12

Hi Scott. There are some very good new boats, I wish I could afford an FP36, it would suit my needs ideally. It's the cost that's my point. By the time a Mahe is kitted out for cruising with all the bits, spares etc that come with an older boat then that all adds up a good bit. For a younger newbie I was suggesting an older boat to learn on, with gentle depreciation, may be economic. A new(er) boat to do a circum/extended cruising afterwards. Certainly viewing several new and old types to see and assess different accomodation styles is also worthwhile. I did a couple of days in a BB385 as part of my assessment. Mine is not as good, but it's a lot cheaper.
Eleven.
Old 16-08-2009, 21:35   #13

I love the catana's they are great cats. If you want somthing a little more "ethnic" I have a wharram pahi 42 for sale for a great price. but if you are looking for a deck saloon cat go with catana they are great just remember reef early!
Finditsurfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 19:57   #14

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 42
If you have time then...

A Customized Chris White design or better yet a Gunboat.

If you are in a hurry...

A Catana or Outremer as there are more out there in the secondary market.

FPs, Lagoons, and R&Cs may cross oceans, but were never really intended to sail oceans... these boats are primary for the charter trade. The fact is every boat is a compromise. Most ocean crossing sailors would consider the four heads found in most of these boats to be not only excessive, but a liability at sea... lots of potential holes in the boat after a lightning strike. Just depends on where you want to sail, how fast you want to go and the depth of your pockets. More money = Less compromises.
Old 19-08-2009, 15:45   #15

Hi Jon, some of your information is correct. I live and sail in the West Country waters. For the last year rumours have been circulating about a new multihull builder setting up a new high tech yard to build cats IN ENGLAND ! I have heard this is to be called Azimuth. A sailing buddy of mine was delayed on the M4 westbound back in the spring, following two catamaran moulds which had Escale written on them. I also came across the www.proutescale.com website last week, which confirms someone is going to set up production over here. Their website implies they are starting out by solving the technical and asthetic issues first. I for one would rather buy a boat built in England than a vague promise from a far eastern yard that only posts Photoshop images. Caveat emptor !
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
England