Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2012, 12:39   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Heating System for My Multihull

All we can say is Hot water heat is the only way to go if ya want warmth and a Dry interior. No matter how ya heat the water, you can move it and regulate the temp so much easier!! with proper temp diodes you can control each and every area on your boat !! Less loss of heat then with duckted forced air! and less noise and less power to operate!! All ya need to worry about is insulation !LOL Hot water heat worked for us in the winter time in alaska a couple or three winters in a steel boat!
Old 22-12-2012, 15:38   #17
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I don't have the spec's but if you figure a heat pump needs to absorb between 10 and 15 degrees of heat from the water and therefore the refrigerant temp needs to be about 10 degrees below that, you will ice up the heat exchanger. What temperature does seawater freeze at?

We do closed loop ground water heat pumps regularly and they pretty much become ineffective when the ground temperature falls below 25 degrees. The water temp going out to the loop is only 5 to 10 degrees.

In any case, you would have to run the generator to run the heat pump, burning diesel that would be more efficiently used with a diesel heater. I'd also guess that since the air will be hotter from the diesel heater it will also dehumidify the boat better.
Old 23-12-2012, 00:16   #18

I installed ESPAR 32000 BTUs hydronic heater on my 41' cat. 4 fan heaters in each cabin + 2 for salon/galley, all individually controlled by digital thermostats. Installing supply and return tubing was a challenge because of space and accessibility constrains. I used PEX tubing and built fan heaters using remanufactured heater cores used in cars + 2 computer fans/per core. Works very well. I can heat my boat to 80-90 degrees (or more - but never tried) in freezing temperatures. Condensation on cold, not insulated surfaces (e.g. below waterline or windows) can be significant, though.
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 11:47   #19

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

We installed a Dickinson Newport Propane furnace/ fireplace 1200 and love it. If your catamaran is big I would recommend one in each hull. On our Gemini 105Mc it only takes one unit to keep it warm at 32F on the hook. At a price of $850.00 US thru Fisherman's Supply, not a bad price for clean heat and the install was easy. We use a std propane bottle and it lasts 5 24 hour days at least. The double walled intake and exhaust pipe can be run thru a plexiglass window and mounted on a vertical surface so no cutting thru the deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0045.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	51645  

Tags
heating, multihull