Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 12:57   #31
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Re: have a question for catamaran owners

Zeehag, I believe that all of us read your OP and it certainly did not appear there was only one idjit, as you put it, that you were attacking. You started by asking "do all cats have a stainless steel cable across the bows from ama to ama?" That, coupled with your comment in the very same post: "What other reason for a stainles steel cable across a huge expanse of bows other than to commit damage to others" certainly seemed to suggest that you thought that many, if not all cats had this design feature (otherwise why ask if all cats have this?) and that in your opinion, it could only be there to commit damage.

When it was pointed out to you that most cats have (and must have) either a forward cross beam, and/or pelican strikers/stainless steel cables forward for structural purposes; and, when it was suggested that the real culprit was the intoxicated boater in question (aka the 'idjit'), and not the boat, you did not express your agreement.

We all feel sorry for your friend whose boat was seriously damaged by a drunken sailor. Your initial questioins and comments, however, did not seem to be aimed at apprehending the drunken 'idjit' who damaged your friend's boat at all, but instead seemed to be a rather illogical attack on catamarans. If that was not your intent and those comments were mere surplusage (or were somehow taken out of context), I'm glad to hear it.

Here's to hoping that your friend finds some legal remedy and/or receives some sort of compensation.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 13:03   #32

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Let us know what happened. I'm sorry your friend was hurt. Hope things work out.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 13:24   #33

Years ago my old boat was hit from the side by a boat which had a bowsprit. We suffered 3 broken lifelines, 2 bent staunchions, and dent and scrape in the cabin side. Luckily the bowsprit just missed a portlight, or the damage would have been much worse.

The other boat suffered no damage at all.

I guess from this thread, it would be fair to presume that the only reason people fit bowsprits is so they can do damage to other people's boats.

Reasonable?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 13:25   #34

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post

I guess from this thread, it would be fair to presume that the only reason people fit bowsprits is so they can do damage to other people's boats.

Reasonable?
In the context of this thread.....YES
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 13:28   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

is all good-some folks a overly sensitive i they have something they paid mucho dinero on an d then find someone else doenst know ho wit is constructed because the omg individual had never wanted to understand that construction.i ant to understand it now, as there has been damage to a heavy degree and i didnt know why this would happen.
i believe i was specific enough on the topic of only one idjit--as the borracho was an idjit.
or, s it all goes--IF THE SHOE FITS, place yourself in the category above. if it doesnt--dont whine.
there are some folks who dont give damn about how they treat others, inclusive of ramming them on water--i would PRESUME there is no one here in this forum of that ilk.
my question was merely asking about catamaran construction. have a great life--

oh, yes, one other question--if a catamaran runs over another boat, will there be damage to the catamaran or will it come out essentially unscathed?? the guy drove up to the coach house with the cat....the damage is very sad in the steelie. there was definite bodily injury involved in this mess..is waay too bad for both parties.
if this is pursued to port capt, the cat owner may never see his cat again. we are hoping the cat driver is a decent human. if he isnt, he will lose his ability to charter in mexico, as well as his freedom.
thankyou for your information, guys--is appreciated.
44--you are defensive enough to have it been your boat that ran over my friend's boat----is correct size and description.....
btw--the boat that was damaged was not mine--was a friend's, and was from the rear, involving everything in cockpit.
mods--please may we close thread, now. thankyou.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 13:29   #36
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

And Zeehag, when your friend gets pictures of the cat, please post them. I have been having trouble understanding what you are describing - most cats have their cross beams/cables fairly far forward and it seems to me that they are the likely cause of the damage. Put another way, anyone stringing a cable forward of that between the bows in order to cause damage would be doomed to fail: the force required to tear off an outboard motor(and be lucky enough not to also hit the taffrail or get caught up on the winches) and then to put the binnacle through the companionway doors of a boat would be bound to cause some serious damage to the cat as well - likely snapping the cable, and/or tearing the cables out of the bows, and/or damaging the cross-beam. The good news is that there are bound to be signs of damage on his boat to corroborate the fact that it was him.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 13:37   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Years ago my old boat was hit from the side by a boat which had a bowsprit. We suffered 3 broken lifelines, 2 bent staunchions, and dent and scrape in the cabin side. Luckily the bowsprit just missed a portlight, or the damage would have been much worse.

The other boat suffered no damage at all.

Reasonable?
A new Olympic Sport........"Boat Jousting"

Sounds fun, can I borrow your boat/yacht?

James L
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 13:42   #38

southern star--i will--i wanna know the name of the device that is there--it holds mast with forestay...some have cable, some have beam, it seems--i been looking at the ones near me--quite some engineering going on there--and from the point of view of the attacked, there can be some discrepancies--i am trying to figger out this problem and why the owner/driver of cat didnt react in timely manner and not hit the steelie.
anchored boat was there for a month since last re-anchoring....is a mess.
Old 06-11-2012, 14:01   #39

this is part of the damage to the steelie---cat was moving at 5 kts under power and never slowed nor stopped for a report of damages...there MUST be some damage to the cat?? i have yet to see--when my camera comes back, i will load them and post one or two so we all know what a cat looks like after beating up on a steelie.....
Old 06-11-2012, 14:04   #40

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
... imagine the damage that would be caused by the bowsprit and bobstay of a big heavy tank like yours
Steve.
Mods, please don't close this thread yet. This could get interesting.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 14:06   #41

wheel in mess---ye know--if all of you guys with cats have these bars/cables , i will definitely stay waaay far away from ye...we both can be dangerous--
Old 06-11-2012, 14:08   #42

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

From your description without photos not knowing of the vessel ?? It is difficult to any real answer to your questions.

What was size if the cat?
Construction material of cat?
Size of the steel vessel run down? it must have been small and the cat large??
I suspect with a good photo of the cat most questions could be answered.

I doubt any fibreglass catamaran would expect no damage running down a steel vessel at 5knots. Quite the opposite.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 14:19   #43

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
this is part of the damage to the steelie---cat was moving at 5 kts under power and never slowed nor stopped for a report of damages...there MUST be some damage to the cat?? i have yet to see--when my camera comes back, i will load them and post one or two so we all know what a cat looks like after beating up on a steelie.....
An unfortunate accident, and lucky that your friend was not more seriously injured.

I suspect that this cat took some damage as well. It looks as if it attempted cross OVER the top of this boat! Yet, this is not a tiny rowboat, so it would have had to be a very large cat indeed if that were the case.

This is one of those "you should see the other guy" situations.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 14:21   #44

48X28 cat--with added on heavy aluminum extrusion at least size of my main mast---is a home built very heavy duty cat--as for his damage---only 1 inch X 2 inch loss of paint--damn you guys have sturdy boats!!! is impressive!!! i will show the paint chip tomorrow when i get back my camera...lol..just a paint chip..wow...
Old 06-11-2012, 14:28   #45

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
oh, yes, one other question--if a catamaran runs over another boat, will there be damage to the catamaran or will it come out essentially unscathed?? thankyou.
Catamarans are designed to run over other boats and come out unscathed. They are really robust.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran