Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 01:00   #61
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Re: GreenCat 605 First Pictures

Hallo Zonker, you are right off course a boat , house , car or about anything is not Green
However there are many differences between a diesel powered boat that needs to fuel up every now and then and produce smoke sooth noise etc and a green propelled boat that actually produces energy while sailing, I would like to see the first diesel powered boat that comes back after a trip with a tank that has been filled while cruising.
Yesterday we made a trial trip from Durban to Richards bay ( 8 hours ) and produced more energy that we consumed on the trip, at one point the Motogens where producing 8 Kw per hour at a speed of 12 knots . For a car it is debatable if electric is the way forward unless the energy ( electricity ) is produced environmentally friendly by wind , sun , hydropower etc but on a sail boat with plenty of fossil free energy available that is a no brainer. Although the boats we produce are not totally green ( impossible ) we use minimal resin and other materials compared to many other boat builders and Our offices , are totally green since we get all the electricity from Sun wind and geothermal for heating and excess energy is put into the grid.
We have gone as far as possible to produce as green as possible at this moment.
Our factory is located in a area where no heating or air conditioning is needed and we use efficient equipment ( lighting etc ) to minimize the consumption of fossil fuels since 10 years.

The Lithium Ion Batteries can be recycled after their estimated cycle life of 5000 or 10 years, Try to do that with diesel fumes or smoke !!!
The GreenCat 605 is very comfortable and the owners is very happy with the way the boat sails and the living on board, 4 x California king sized beds 4 bathrooms en suite and all needed to make a comfy life on board is provided.
besides that she is ( in my opinion )very good looking .

In your post number 17 you mention "what a wonderful boat " I wonder what changed your mind ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0044kl.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	46322  
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:39   #62

Don't get me wrong ... it's a wonderful boat. But at a second look/thought, I am wondering who would be a buyer. Not a racer not a hang-out boat. I really ask myself if GB, Outremer, GreenCat all (will) have the same issue - why buy such a boat ?
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:52   #63
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hallo Zonker , if i was looking or a house boat with easy possibilities to move it from a to b at a slow pace I would opt for a Lagoon or simular cat however if you would want a cat that can perform with the same luxury level of any of the slow cats a GB ,Atlantic, Outremer or GreenCat would be my choice. the cost is higher to build a lighter cat but look at the advantages, with a slow cat one can never sail fast however with a fast cat one can make a slow journey if wanted. Yesterday I sailed from Durban to Richards bay in South Africa a total distance of 109 NM sailed in 8 hours and since it was a test sail we did not even use the code zero or gennaker and part of the journey we sailed reefed just to try that out.
we averaged 12.8 knots and at times we reached 21 knots with 24 knots of wind, most of the time we had winds from 140 degrees and 17 /19 knots.
I have sailed lagoons and other high production heavy cats but have yet to see speeds in excess of 13 knots in optimal conditions, I guess there is a marked for all , our first boat is sold and delivered and the second we will start building shortly so there is a market for these luxury fast catamarans and the fact that they are Greener sure helps
Greetings
Old 11-09-2012, 10:40   #64

Boat: Lagoon 400

If it wasn't for the recession and investment downturns I would gladly purchase a GreenCat. Excellent boat, and thanks for pushing the current "green" technology to allow cruisers the option of further unhooking from the fuel pump.
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:00   #65

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I must say this is the sort of boat I would like if I win the lotto.

Head room and California King beds are something I only enjoy at my house. Never had that on a boat yet.

Have you had any of the multiple problems with this boat that you had with your other three (4?) boats? I realize it is still early.
Old 11-09-2012, 16:45   #66

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
Don't get me wrong ... it's a wonderful boat. But at a second look/thought, I am wondering who would be a buyer. Not a racer not a hang-out boat. I really ask myself if GB, Outremer, GreenCat all (will) have the same issue - why buy such a boat ?
Zonker, with you its sounds like a case of , well if i can't afford it i'll just criticize it,

If it wasn't for these inovative builders and designers Catamaran design would never evolve, we would just be fore ever stuck in lagoon land.
cruiz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 18:13   #67

Lucky Roger!
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 20:07   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathlesschosen View Post
If it wasn't for the recession and investment downturns I would gladly purchase a GreenCat. Excellent boat, and thanks for pushing the current "green" technology to allow cruisers the option of further unhooking from the fuel pump.
I would like to see if the technology/layout could be scaled down into a 30-40 ft boat. Mainly just for the new to sailing crowd, a smaller boat would feel less difficult I think.

But, if I make a few million, then this would be a fun way to celebrate.

Oh, and innovation that effects everyone comes from trying to do things better or differently. Innovation should be celebrated. Not having to find a marina to refuel at with lots of really expensive fuel sounds like a good improvement to me.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 20:17   #69

Boat: none

Hello Sundevil, have a look at the Gforce 1200 from Schionnings ,small, fast ,sexy looking and with and electric option and probably at a quarter the cost of the big ones
cruiz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 22:29   #70
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

HalloTherapy, Ccntrary to what you think we have not any real problem with any of the cats produced, hull numer one has done in excess of 100.000 with out any problems other than torn sails and the usual stuff like a failed bilge pump and renewal of a saildrive clutch plate , same with all other 9 produced Fastcats and Green Cats we will deliver the first carbon version of the Greencat later this year and yesterday the hull deck and bulkhead was lifted with a load cell for a total weight of 3500 kilo or 1000 less the previous boat.
Hallo SunDevil we produce the GreenCat 445 since 3 years a smaller version equipped with the same Green Motion system , 3 of these have been delivered and 2 more are in production and at a 1/3 of the cost of the 605
Old 11-09-2012, 22:42   #71

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorcat View Post
Hello Sundevil, have a look at the Gforce 1200 from Schionnings ,small, fast ,sexy looking and with and electric option and probably at a quarter the cost of the big ones
Agreed it is sexy however it has been designed more as a racer than live aboard cruiser.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 22:55   #72
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It is very and hard to combine a 40 to 45 ft cat that will both perform well and be comfortable inside , some cats do however come close, the Outremer 45 , the older Catana 471 AND THE Feydis 46 do ok as a go between, our Greencat 445 is a performer and has comfortable living space but it is not easy.
Old 11-09-2012, 23:37   #73
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeto View Post
Lucky Roger!
Yes Roger is Lucky and very happy

I sailed with him from Durban to Richards bay on Monday and we had a great time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01898.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	46408  
Old 12-09-2012, 12:25   #74

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
HalloTherapy, Ccntrary to what you think we have not any real problem with any of the cats produced, hull numer one has done in excess of 100.000 with out any problems other than torn sails and the usual stuff like a failed bilge pump and renewal of a saildrive clutch plate , same with all other 9 produced Fastcats and Green Cats we will deliver the first carbon version of the Greencat later this year and yesterday the hull deck and bulkhead was lifted with a load cell for a total weight of 3500 kilo or 1000 less the previous boat.
Uh-huh.
Old 12-09-2012, 14:07   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
... we have not any real problem with any of the cats produced...
Selective recall, or amnesia?
DA Winston is offline   Reply With Quote