Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2011, 19:28   #1

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Got Her ! Catalac 900 Successfully Delivered

Am pleased to report that after an epic 7 day voyage, I'm now back in my home port safe and sound with my new Catalac 900.

Have encountered averything from fog, rain, cold, hot, flat calm and force 7 seas and am pretty impressed what these little boats can do.

Majority of the way we motorsailed, the boat doesn't have a very heavy duty battery setup so we needed to keep one engine running most of the time to keep the batteries topped up as the autopilot needed all the juice it could get! It was also helpfull for a bit of extra power and stability in high seas, however, the fuel ecconomy is remarkable. From the very top of Spain right round to the Algarve at the bottom of Portugal she used 55 liters, not bad for 500 miles!

Overall, i'm delighted with her. The layout is a HUGE improvement over the old 9m on which she's based and is perfect for me. The enclosed helm is wonderfull for long passages and also means the main saloon has full standing headroom, something a 9m only has if you don't mind being the saloon being open to the elements.

There are only two main downsides. As i've been told before, these are terrible into the wind. The short hull doesn't like going into the waves and you get an uncomfortable at best porpoising motion. Anything aft of the beam though is fine and these boats just LOVE downwind sailing. My GPS tells me that we managed to hit 18.1 kts surfing down a wave in a force 7 sea!!!

The other quible, although minor, is the tinted windows. during the day they're great but a night you loose tons of visability. Imagine trying to berth in the dark with your singlasses still on and you get the idea.

A special mention should goto Phil (boatman61 on here) who I got to help with the delivery. If any of you guys need a delivery skipper in the future, he's your man for sure. Had a great week with him and he makes a mean cheese on toast as well!

Here's a few pics from the trip.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000434.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	29888   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000471.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	29889  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000480.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	29890   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000492.jpg
Views:	1137
Size:	385.9 KB
ID:	29891  

Old 24-07-2011, 19:38   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: Got Her! Catalac 900 successfully delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Am pleased to report that after an epic 7 day voyage, I'm now back in my home port safe and sound with my new Catalac 900.

Have encountered averything from fog, rain, cold, hot, flat calm and force 7 seas and am pretty impressed what these little boats can do.

Majority of the way we motorsailed, the boat doesn't have a very heavy duty battery setup so we needed to keep one engine running most of the time to keep the batteries topped up as the autopilot needed all the juice it could get! It was also helpfull for a bit of extra power and stability in high seas, however, the fuel ecconomy is remarkable. From the very top of Spain right round to the Algarve at the bottom of Portugal she used 55 liters, not bad for 500 miles!

Overall, i'm delighted with her. The layout is a HUGE improvement over the old 9m on which she's based and is perfect for me. The enclosed helm is wonderfull for long passages and also means the main saloon has full standing headroom, something a 9m only has if you don't mind being the saloon being open to the elements.

There are only two main downsides. As i've been told before, these are terrible into the wind. The short hull doesn't like going into the waves and you get an uncomfortable at best porpoising motion. Anything aft of the beam though is fine and these boats just LOVE downwind sailing. My GPS tells me that we managed to hit 18.1 kts surfing down a wave in a force 7 sea!!!

The other quible, although minor, is the tinted windows. during the day they're great but a night you loose tons of visability. Imagine trying to berth in the dark with your singlasses still on and you get the idea.

A special mention should goto Phil (boatman61 on here) who I got to help with the delivery. If any of you guys need a delivery skipper in the future, he's your man for sure. Had a great week with him and he makes a mean cheese on toast as well!

Here's a few pics from the trip.....

Hola Simon,

Welcome back and congratulations, you sound in great form and im sure you are going to have a blast this summer! Best, Pablo.
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 19:41   #3

Boat: PETERSON 44
Good for you keep enjoying her. Can I order a sandwich for delivery port jeff NY behind the mooring tender
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 19:48   #4

Re: Got Her ! Catalac 900 Successfully Delivered

Congratulations Simonmd!

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 21:00   #5

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Sounds like a wonderful passage. So much learned. It tickles me no end to hear Boatman was there, but doesn't surprise me he makes gives good cheese toast. I'm sure he used good English cheddar rather than our bland American variety.

Good luck and plan your adventures all downwind from here on, since that is what she does well. "OMG," I hear you say a year from now, "I can't get back home from here. I'll have to go all the way around to get back home."
Old 24-07-2011, 21:05   #6

Boat: Custom

Congrats sounds like a great trip.

You would think the skipper could have shavedfor the photo

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 05:00   #7
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Yes Simon, congrats!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 06:26   #8

Boat: O'Day 28

Congrats indeed. Here's as close as I'll be to getting a Catalac 900. Or the bikini babe!

And good to hear about Boatman. I wondered if he were in jail somewhere after a rousing night in a ginmill, and perhaps in need of bail money.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 11:05   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Got Her ! Catalac 900 Successfully Delivered

TGZZZZZZZZZZZ..... Thats mean man....
HONEST..... but mean.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 11:32   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
TGZZZZZZZZZZZ..... Thats mean man....
HONEST..... but mean.....
Where are u boatman, did you go with Simon all the way to Estepona? We should have met up for a beer if you did! Things are moving fast now, ive 3 different parties looking at the property, got a quite good feeling it will be gone in next 3 months........so, with abit of luck may get out there before Christmas!
Old 27-07-2011, 12:02   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Got Her ! Catalac 900 Successfully Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
Where are u boatman, did you go with Simon all the way to Estepona? We should have met up for a beer if you did! Things are moving fast now, ive 3 different parties looking at the property, got a quite good feeling it will be gone in next 3 months........so, with abit of luck may get out there before Christmas!
Hey Pablo....
How's it going mate... glad ya got some 'sniffer's'.... fingers crossed for the serious nibble huh...!!
At the moment I'm sat on Simons boat in Duquesa nicely chilled and having my brains blown out by 'Evil Woman' on his Gi'normous speakers....lol.
Head back to UK 2moro for another boat to bring down early Aug...... Gib to G'wick... wanna drink get into those wheels and come on down....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 12:09   #12

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61

Hey Pablo....
How's it going mate... glad ya got some 'sniffer's'.... fingers crossed for the serious nibble huh...!!
At the moment I'm sat on Simons boat in Duquesa nicely chilled and having my brains blown out by 'Evil Woman' on his Gi'normous speakers....lol.
Head back to UK 2moro for another boat to bring down early Aug...... Gib to G'wick... wanna drink get into those wheels and come on down....
Good see you back enjoying yourself way too much information here. The proper way to say this is.I met an evil women and we are enjoying each others company.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 12:16   #13
Marine Service Provider

Nothing like a bit of ELO, they played in the bull ring 3 km from where u r sitting, I think it was about 9 years ago, we had Bev Bevan and the lads on the show! If you had told me yesterday I would have arranged to come and see you guys, but cant sort now, Ive actualy just sold my beloved Mercedes SL 320 Sport limited edition as we continue to prepare for the change from land to sea, so not got wheels! Maybe next time, hope Simon is enjoying the new boat, if you have got the CD ¨Out of the blue¨ by ELO, its got a wild track on there called ¨The Whale¨....crank it up!
Old 27-07-2011, 12:27   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran

Congratulations Simon enjoy the Catalac she looks real pretty and a bit salty!

Add that to a cheese sandwich and you got a mean team!
niel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:45   #15

Boat: 1985 Catalac 10Meter Serendipity, 1998 Nimble Wanderer "PJS"
Send a message via Skype™ to jannpage

Hello Simonmd

Glad you are enjoying your 900. Great boat. A thing or two I leaned on my 10meter might be of use to you.

First I changed the props. I got rid of the twin anchors I had in the stern and replaced them with Kiwi feathering props. Made a wonderfull difference about her ability to go to the wind. And to tack. Frankly, the cost of feathering props, even Kiwis, are enough to slow me down (And probably most of us who buy older boats) and had I not had such great success on a Nimble Wanderer motorsailer several years ago I would never had been willing to put that money in an old boat. That boat would not even maintain a reach in less than about 10 knots of air till I got rid of the 20" 3 blade bronze beast on its engine. And tacking was a real challenge in any wind. A new feathering prop and it would go windward if there was a measureable breeze and TACK! Ha!!!

Second, I found the moving as much heavy weight as I could away from the ends of the boat helps sofening the rocking in steep seas a lot. The forward lockers on the deck in particular invite a little too much stuff. and of course rope will pick up water and start to weigh more. The extra weight adds to the hobby horse and the momentum builds up and pretty soon is quiet uncomfortable. I even moved spare anchors and chain to more central locations. And a heavy tool box out of the rear compartment under the cockpit seat went to the floor near the center of one of the hulls. Elimitated any and all banging in steep seas.

Great safe strong boats.

Cheers
jannpage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalac