Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 10:57   #16

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutbridge View Post
Sean,
FWIW, I have hydraulic steering on my BB385. I have a Raymarine a/p plumbed directly into the hydraulic system. The wheel doesn't turn when steering using the a/p which minimises power usage. When I talked to the agent about fitting a second a/p as a back-up they reckoned that because the Raymarine unit directly powered the hydraulic actuator and was so under-stressed a back-up unit wouldn't be necessary(not sure I really believe that, BUT they stood to make money out of me by supplying and fitting a second a/p). They also reckoned that the wheel pilot would not be as good a unit as the setup I have fitted.
There is a pump, a ram, hoses and a control unit. All can break down, but the weakest link is probably the electrics, so control unit and motor for the pump.
I am going for total redundancy on my next boat, one set for each side. One side will not be plugged in to the electrics at either end, so a lightning strike should not damage anything.

The second ram will not be attached to the rudder either.

After the GPS, the autopilot is the next most important piece of gear on board for longer trips sailing shorthanded. IMO

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:43   #17
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Alan, I would check with Raymarine - I believe they do recommend the installation of a rudder position indicator when using a wheel drive system with hydraulic steering.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
After the GPS, the autopilot is the next most important piece of gear on board for longer trips sailing shorthanded. IMO

Regards

Alan
Hi Alan, I don't want to change the direction of this thread as it is very interesting, and as far as electronic instruments go I totally agree with you, but to me the most important piece of gear (navigationally speaking) would be a traditional compass.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 14:53   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Alan, I would check with Raymarine - I believe they do recommend the installation of a rudder position indicator when using a wheel drive system with hydraulic steering.

Brad

I would too, but it isn't necessary, especially if he can leave the helm for a minute at a time! This sounds like a very stable boat, and therefore easier to control as in closed loop control, which is what an autopilot basically is.

Rudder position and gyros, accelerometers and so called "smart" control algorithms can be great on fast boats, but a Catalac is normally a staider vessel.

Alan
Old 07-04-2008, 14:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
Hi Alan, I don't want to change the direction of this thread as it is very interesting, and as far as electronic instruments go I totally agree with you, but to me the most important piece of gear (navigationally speaking) would be a traditional compass.

I agree! But its in the GPS now, no deviation.

Regards

Alan
Old 08-04-2008, 01:30   #21

Quote:
I would too, but it isn't necessary, especially if he can leave the helm for a minute at a time! This sounds like a very stable boat, and therefore easier to control as in closed loop control, which is what an autopilot basically is.

Rudder position and gyros, accelerometers and so called "smart" control algorithms can be great on fast boats, but a Catalac is normally a staider vessel.

Alan
I think with a hydraulic steered boat you would need a rudder position indicator, because the rudder position isn't constant with a given wheel position. ie. "dead ahead" isn't always in the same place. That's been my experience with hydraulic steering anyway, after taking off the wheel and centering it a couple of times......

If I were in Sean's position I would probably go for the raymarine S1 wheelpilot, and maybe later get a hydraulic drive for it when the big trips come around.

I think the Simrad may be a better wheelpilot, (more torque, faster steering) but it seems to have the control head, compass, drive etc all integrated in one unit, which makes upgrading pretty much impossible.

I'd always want a good old magnetic compass too - even in the case of a complete electrical failure a compass will usually get you home.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:40   #22

Quote:
Guys, he wanted something cheap! Adding rams, extra hoses etc is not cheap.

With a wheel pilot you don't need more than a plug for the electrics. Choose one where the drive unit is integrated with the unit that fits on the wheel. No need for rudder indicators, as there is no second pump to move alignment..

Regards

Alan
Sean has hydraulic steering. That means he already has the rams/hoses etc. All he needs is an electrically driven pump, connected to an electronic brain, and he has the lot.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 16:54   #23

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
how about this, eBay Motors: Raymarine S1000 Wireless Autopilot System (item 120243795220 end time Apr-13-08 21:23:47 PDT)
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:44   #24

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Saw this on craigslist

Auto Wheel Pilot

$500 Simrad Wheel pilot.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 05:02   #25

Autopilots / Wheelpilot as spare

Hi,

i just bought a used Lagoon 410. The boat, in general, seems to be in good condition. Expect for the Autopilot. It is a B&G Pilot which failed 2 times in the past and is now also out of order. Looks like a software / data / connection issue.

I plan to take the cat from the Caribean to Europe with a small crew (2-3). Therefore a working autopilot is essential on the long one way trip to the Azores.

I thought of 3 alternatives.

A. Replace the used Autopilot with a new one and hope it doesn't fail..
B. Repair the used one and add a spare pilot
B1 a Wheelpilot
B2 a Windvane

I am leening towards a spare pilot solution and here for the wheelpilot for reasons of money and easy of use.

I am planning to buy a S1 Wheelpilot from Raymarine but i am seeking advice, what do you think of the solution any recommendations
Jaegerstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 05:30   #26
Boc

Boat: Made a Hartley Fijian 47 named it Allotria. "sold" my part in the ship. Still in Ch. H. Kanal
Introduction & Overall Description - Sailomat
Sailomat is the very best, Swedish made. Could even steer a 56 feet ketch in steel with wind coming from behind down the red sea. Must be taking up, when running for the engine. Very easy to install, but you might need 2 of them, and yes it is high quality so it cost a bit. if one could make one selv, happyness will arrive!
Regards
Bo
Boc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 07:32   #27

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
I have a 43 ft cat...very light steering....wheel pilot for an autopilot was recently upgraded to a ram and fancy set up for long trip around...but the wheel pilot had been totally fine...low electric consumption and virtually maintenance free before it became a spare.
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 09:18   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingaway221 View Post
I have a 43 ft cat...very light steering....wheel pilot for an autopilot was recently upgraded to a ram and fancy set up for long trip around...but the wheel pilot had been totally fine...low electric consumption and virtually maintenance free before it became a spare.
Sounds good.
What autopilot did you have.
Jaegerstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 13:05   #29

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
It was a Simrad WP 32 belt needed tightening every once in a while but it was good at keeping the boat in a straight line.
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot