Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2011, 07:01   #1
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Gemini Catamaran - Best Years & Custom Trailer?

ok well, after months of reviewing the pro's and cons of many boats i think even with my reduced income this year, i can swing a 105.

so that brings me to buying questions.

question 1:

they have made these boats for many years, i have seen a 1995, what are the changes over the years? what is the "best year"?

question 2:

can i buy a 95 and trust it to go to England? can i single hand it around the world? what do i need to watch out for when buying an older sail boat?
i would guess, how old the sails are, how old the rigging is, how many hours on the engine, not sure if i am missing something.
upon buying i would do a complete rebuild of the engine anyway, so thats not a big deal, and thats something i can do in a weekend.

question 3:
has anyone ever made a custom trailer for this boat? i would avoid fees how ever i can, including getting a moreing, and i would like to pull the boat out myself for cleaning, and bottom paint. so i am thinking if i had a trailer just to pull her up on shore, to do the work, it would save me all those hauling fee's. can you even lift this boat by the underside of the deck?

question 4:
anything i missed?
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 07:10   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Gemini's

Geminis owners website here... Gemini Gems
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 07:12   #3

Boat: 1990 Caliber 38

Two web sites for two different couples doing some long range cruising on their Gemini 105's

SV Footprint From Norfolk down to the Caribbean then across the Atlantic to Ireland, on to Scandinavia and now on the west coast of Britain.

The Slapdash | No Fixed Address From the Carolinas, through the Bahamas to Cuba and Panama. On through the South Pacific and now in Sri Lanka.

I looked at 4 of these boats about two years ago. They were a too lightly built for my taste, but, hey, what do I know.

The builder, Tony Smith, recently sold the company to the Catamaran Company out of Florida.
KestrelBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 07:29   #4

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
ok well, after months of reviewing the pro's and cons of many boats i think even with my reduced income this year, i can swing a 105.

question 1:

they have made these boats for many years, i have seen a 1995, what are the changes over the years? what is the "best year"?

question 2:

can i buy a 95 and trust it to go to England? can i single hand it around the world? what do i need to watch out for when buying an older sail boat?
i would guess, how old the sails are, how old the rigging is, how many hours on the engine, not sure if i am missing something.
upon buying i would do a complete rebuild of the engine anyway, so thats not a big deal, and thats something i can do in a weekend.

question 3:
has anyone ever made a custom trailer for this boat? i would avoid fees how ever i can, including getting a moreing, and i would like to pull the boat out myself for cleaning, and bottom paint. so i am thinking if i had a trailer just to pull her up on shore, to do the work, it would save me all those hauling fee's. can you even lift this boat by the underside of the deck?

question 4:
anything i missed?
On question #3, There is no doubt that a custom trailer for do it yourself haulouts is reasonable. As to the lifting by the wings... that is an easy question for the designer, and he can tell you where the strong areas are, how much padding, etc.

Regarding your other plans... YIKES! This catamaran is not built, promoted, or priced, as a blue water cruiser! It is a fine liveaboard at the dock, and can fit into smaller slips and travellifts. It is a lot of bang for the buck... for the US East Coast ICW, Chesapeake, or Bahamas. AS A STUNT ONLY, it could possibly make a purely down wind ocean crossing. It is NOT suited to it, and going around the world is foolhardy at best! The same applies to any multihull if you can't squeeze through the wing tunnel in your high bow RIB, like an AB.

Blue water multihulls tend to have higher wing clearance, lower center of gravity, moderate sized cabin accommodations, they're wider, and heavier built, have good visibility forward, good windward ability, and bottom protection so they can be grounded with no harm. They are usually EXPENSIVE!

If money is an issue, the best deals out there in a truly "blue water" multihulls, are in custom one offs. (IF you search among the best 10% of them...)

Best of luck in your search, Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00000016.JPG
Views:	587
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	25245   Click image for larger version

Name:	00000016 (3) - Copy - Copy.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	25246  

Click image for larger version

Name:	009_9 - Copy.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	25247  
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 08:36   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:

question 1:

There are just too many changes over the years to list. Each one made it a little better.
Best year? 2008 of course.

The company Tony and Sue ran in Annapolis has been partnered with the Catamaran Company which is doing the marketing now. The building of the boats is now done by Hunter Marine in Florida. The daughter is now running the company as Sue and Tony have retired - and I think cruising the East coast in their Gemini. The Annapolis facility is going to be a repair facility and parts supplier. With over 1000 made there is a need for parts here and there.

Blog

Bone in Its Teeth: Performance Cruising production being moved to Hunter Marine

Press Release - NEWS FROM PERFORMANCE CRUISING

Surviving the Storm

question 2:

There have only been a few long distance/ocean crossings. I would not want to do it myself. I would want a bigger cat. Most use it as intended and stick to coastal/Bahamas/Caribbean.

question 3:

There was a guy that made a trailer for his just to move it through several states I believe. It is not something that would be easy. Empty it weighs 9000 lbs. Wide load requirements too I think.

I asked about lifting from under the bridgedeck. Sue Smith, Tony's wife was active in the building of these boats when they were built in Annapolis. She said it could be done but could not be pinned down as to exactly how to do it. I think I remember her saying she had not witnessed it either. I suspect some damage could easily happen with the hulls unsupported.

question 4:
anything i missed?

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 08:40   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: other peoples
Send a message via Skype™ to Loco Gato

Hi! I'm one of the moderator for the Yahoo Gemini groups. Gemini_Cats : Gemini Catamarans
There are over 1,900 members there and about 30 or 40 are regular posters. If you are serious about a Gem, you will find many answers to your questions from the Gem owners. Go there and sign up and either Tim or myself will approve you.
Lynn A. Stokes
C0-moderator
Gemini Yahoo Groups
Loco Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 08:47   #7
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R

As a courtesy to our Gemini owners we have setup a page here on Cruisers Forum that pulls discussions from around our community to a single page:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Gemini Catamarans
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 13:15   #8
cruiser

Re: Gemini Catamaran - Best Years & Custom Trailer?

i would like to ask for a comparison.
i have spent no less then 20 hours reading bumfuzzle, other then being 2' longer, what is the difference between the two?

i am 1/3 of the way thru the story so far.
and yes, i know not to buy a wildcat.
wow if i had to do 20-40K in repairs to the boat i would have gone to south Africa, and killed the builder.

perhaps i can hold off for two years on my first crossing until i get my next boat.
the second boat will be a lagoon 420, but not until i sell my property. that should almost pay for the lagoon.
but in the mean time, if i get the itch, i will still want to be able to go.
i would like to go to Vietnam, and Japan after this whole mess is cleaned up.
Old 20-03-2011, 13:18   #9

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I think the 2001 to last year models are kooler because they have real teak wood and the new 2011 gemini's made by Hunter have highly scratchable laminated wood interior and I don't know what kind of wood it is. We like the natural oil finished wood is easier to keep looking good in the long run.
The other thing is I wouldn't buy a Gemini without the Screecher sail and they can't add it after it's out of the factory. This sail is so powerfull with it's 420 sq foot sail area for light breezes up to 25 kt breezes and crusering is great and fast too. Our boat only cost $98,000 cash to make it a great deal.
Old 20-03-2011, 14:38   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
I think the 2001 to last year models are kooler because they have real teak wood and the new 2011 gemini's made by Hunter have highly scratchable laminated wood interior and I don't know what kind of wood it is. We like the natural oil finished wood is easier to keep looking good in the long run.
The other thing is I wouldn't buy a Gemini without the Screecher sail and they can't add it after it's out of the factory. This sail is so powerfull with it's 420 sq foot sail area for light breezes up to 25 kt breezes and crusering is great and fast too. Our boat only cost $98,000 cash to make it a great deal.

Some just use a asymmetrical with a sock. That is my plan. Those that use this say it is pretty simple and works quite well.
Old 20-03-2011, 14:41   #11

Quote:
i would like to ask for a comparison.
i have spent no less then 20 hours reading bumfuzzle, other then being 2' longer, what is the difference between the two?

I looked at a Wildcat. Not all of them are junk.

Difference? It has a huge beam = lots more space inside, two engines, bigger head space, more accomodations.

LOTS bigger.
Old 20-03-2011, 14:41   #12
cruiser

Quote:

good advice, and thats the kind of price i can swing this year. have you tried any long passages with it?
Old 20-03-2011, 14:57   #13

Just crusing ( harbor hopping ) north up the west coast from San Diego to the Columbia river . We took our time avoiding storms and the trip was great. We are planning on crusing north to the Salish Sea (Seattle) and the San Juan islands this year in July and to Alaskia next year.
Old 20-03-2011, 15:11   #14

There's lots of yacht sales folks out there trying to sell sell sell the bigger beamier cats because they can't afford the double cost of moorage, if you can find moorage at all for a 24ft beam catamaran. I have not noticed the prices going up since last year ( I just looked ) Just make an offer and get a good sales rep to repersent you thru the purchase that's willing to travel for your sea trial and closing, it will not cost you any more because your rep will be splitting the commision with the listing agent. Remember yacht brokers are very very very very hungry and might not mention a good deal because they loose money on a good deal for the buyer.
Old 20-03-2011, 15:25   #15

Quote:
Remember yacht brokers are very very very very hungry and might not mention a good deal because they loose money on a good deal for the buyer.
Heh.

And they certainly won't tell you about one that is not listed with "one of them".

Tags
gemini, catamaran